Sat, Oct 5, 10:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 9:59 am)

Subject: A method for "alternate" manga/anime render look...

Riddokun ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 6:51 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 11:27 AM

Attached Link: http://jjdelpy.free.fr

file_81787.jpg

I just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in that ? I did not manage to make as good as all people here and there with their beautiful anime renders made with animedoll kit recently. I am a waste :) So i decided to work a bit on an alternate method, based on it. More than a flat paper anga like look, i wanted to make something that looked a bit more like Cellshading, or at least still bear the mark of "3d software", much like cg graphics, also found in some japanese games and arts. And also, this method would help using textured elements such as clothes or anything, in P4 (as i cannot use toon shader, do not have p5) of course, i am a newbie, with lottle skills so far (only started my duties on rosity on late may this year), so i wanted to make a method that was simple and required nearly no work (more than those required in poser). I am tuning it now and have good results (you can look at my gallery, there are a couple of images, and also in a thread in MayaX's website bbs) and still test to see how it does work on most images. I developped it because i want to make an illustrated mangalike story with poser... if anyone is interested, or want to help me or give me tips and advices, feel free to tell me. so far the method only requires some light sets (i used those in animedoll kit), to make a few (3 or 4 depending) renders in poser using different settings (fixed), then compositing them together in a paint software using only basic leyer operators/combination and no real postwork at all (though you can make some if you want). So far it only works on untextured things (the trick for texture in p4 with cartoon mode renders is separate so far, but i'll work on it too) have nice day Historic: 1st attempt: Animedoll Race Queen (attached here) 2nd attempt: a little hentai picture, trying to sue sketch mode too (unposted anywhere) 3rd attempt: Dremora hunter (in my gallery) 4th attempt: Inner visions (in my gallery), improved things

richardnovak77 ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 6:57 PM

that's bad ass. how's about a tutorial??

akura_ ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 7:19 PM

I have to strongely agree with richardnovak77. very very bad ass. as soon as you make a turtorial, i'll download it in a heart beat:)

Berserga ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 7:58 PM

Interesting technique. I like the Dark elf pic at your page. I was gonna do an elf. (Deedlit style) soon.

Riddokun ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 9:51 PM

well i just finished testing the most tricky part: textured clothes in such a picture... Well guy it was a total mess... I could not stick with it, and it is rather difficult / needs more tweaks and prerenders so far, (but it is possible, see my gallery for the new picture "Ichigo strike" Erin) I was thinking of a tutorial for all people to be able to use it, but i have a problem: I use an unknown paint software (Pixia), japanese, but in my local langage (so i even cannot tell you the terminology in english so far) and i have no basics of the general terminology and concepts of video/paint softwares... But if i explain what the options do, maybe some could help me putting it down with words... anyway i only had a handful of test pictures so far, so it is not very tested yet :) (but one thing nice about it: it requires NO effort, only clicking buttons :) -> bad joke from the "is poser art ? no it just need clicking the render button" Well on this one, it is "clicking several times the render buttons" :)

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 10:01 PM

Your alternate "anime/manga" style is Rockin' bud!

Riddokun ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 11:07 PM

well i dont want pople to believe i am trying to outmatch anyone... it is not anime/manga look strictly, for that, there is already all the things people made with the anime doll kit. It is rather cell shading or maybe ever somethign else i still do not have name yet, because the key of this is to use the "black outline and toon shades" effect, but combined with either textures, 3d flat/gouraud shades, or even both... btw i realised something: untextured naked skin with this method indeed rather look like with a skin texture :)

Berserga ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 11:13 PM

Just curious... what is your native language Riddo? Anyway don't sweat the question of "does it look like an animation cel" with the increasing usage of 2d and 3d cg in anime that is quickly becoming a moot point. I think the Japanese (and Korean it seems) animators will become much more free to experiment with new styles and media in the next few years. I like your technique. For me it's not as appealing a a true cel look, but I still like it.

Riddokun ( ) posted Mon, 27 October 2003 at 11:59 PM

anyway my goal is not to make cel look, i am not able to. Just waned to make things that could please my eyes while i couldn't make any correct renders "out of the box" of the animedoll kit like all the other people. It was also an opportunity to better understand the basics of paint software (layers and operators) that i lack... as for my native langage, well i rather not tell, because i do not want to start a racism mood all other me while i now feel myself at east at rosity... ps for the others: Well, just tried to push my luck (and failed) but can tell you this: transmapped clothes will be insane to use with this technic , but i may need to scratch my head a bit more :)

brynna ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 2:41 AM

I don't care if you're a one-eyed green Kangaroo from Venus... your technique rocks.

Brynna

"Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is almost always that somebody screwed up." - House

Dell Desktop XPS 8940 i9,  two 14 tb External drives, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia RTX 3060 12 GB DDR5.

Monitor - My 50 inch Hitachi TV. Works great!

Daz Studio - whatever the latest version is. Haven't decided if I'm upgrading to Poser 13 or not.

Photoshop.

I'm creating a Steampunk Tarot Deck. There's an older version in my Gallery, then a newer version.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 7:02 AM

Well, Riddokun, we can at least tell you live in France. Is that what you are scared of? Or are you of Arabic descent? I certainly don't care. I would hope artists would be more interested in a person than in where they live or what they look like. Just my opinion (I don't want some raging discussion, either). I appreciate all the testing and hard work you are doing while trying to learn the best and easy way for cel shading.

Riddokun ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 7:18 AM

yes as my free hostign domain suggest, i am from there... now you may understood why i was reluctant to admit it new infos: the technic suffers/depend on the color tones presents on the images. With clear colors (yellow, light blues, etc) it will be easy, but darker colors (or pure ones, such as bright red) will need aditionnal tweaking. anyway for nude posing it is really good as it is now... and for transmaps.. beuh i have hard time with them (if i ever manage to get it work)

FishNose ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 8:49 AM

(OT) Well Riddo, many like me are very glad that France and some others had the courage to stand up against the Iraq War nonsense. And they were proven right after all....... no surprise. It is a disaster, willbe for many years to come. (Not OT) Your alternative anime looks excellent :o) Keep us informed on how it goes. I like it. :] Fish

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 9:33 AM

Great technique. I'd sure like to learn more about it.

Berserga ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 9:35 AM

The folks here are by and large an open minded lot, so feel free to be yourself. ^_^ Everyone has a right to their opinion EVEN fishnose. :p

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 10:05 AM

Do you think there is a chance of some sort of plugin or filter for the popular image-editing software that could do a good job of cel shading instead of trying to do it in Poser 4?

Berserga ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 10:26 AM

I toyed with this idea in the past... the poster edges plugin in Photoshop does a reasonable job on some images. If anyone knows a better (preferrably free) plug I'd love to know about it. and a plug that makes a 3d or photo image look like a painting (better than PS's own good tools)

Veritas777 ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 12:49 PM

Nice look. I find a combination of cel-shade and "realistic style render" works best too. There are a number of good image filter programs for doing this, too!

Riddokun ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 6:15 PM

well i dont know if programs already exist to do this.. i made it manually with my little paint software and a few renders of poser... as i told, point was to still dont deny the 3d legacy of poser, yet with benefit or all those pretty blak outlining. I am a waste regarding using the sketch mode (though it was a first trail i followed)... and i do not have p5 so no toon shader for me :) so far i managed to fix many problems and use many of the things of poser. even a non textutred thing looks nice, so far. The only trouble i have is with trying to use transmapped clothes.. So far i am stuck. another problem will to simplify the steps of the methods and make sure it is generic and can work regardless of the picture (though a little tweaking individually is still advised), and then "explain" it using the terminology of my paint software (well, gathered some pills for my head before it even hurt from that :)

Riddokun ( ) posted Tue, 28 October 2003 at 6:28 PM

btw i would need two things from people here: 1) some explanations of the basics of paint/postwork softwares regarding color correction and adjustings... I need it for one of the step of my thing, i still ofen manage it myself but with so many manipulations it is insane each time... 2) someone with knowledge about the workings of sketching modes of poser 4... 3) (because i do not know how to count :) I relaly need very deep insides and explanations of poser ligthing :( (such as global illumination tricks, and such) so far i reduced the method (basic, at least) to 6 layers, and only 3 different poser renders of same scene. Sometimes you may need a fourth, and maybe 1 or 2 layers :( I wish i could simplify it. Also depending on the picture it is easier or harder to achieve. Use of textured clothes are still tricky.

Lyrra ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 6:32 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/tut.ez?Form.ViewPages=66

This technique sounds like it has many similarities with this tutorial from SnowSultan As for your concerns about your nationality? don't worry about it .. personal attacks are against the Renderosity Terms of Service. If anyone does bother you, please email a moderator immediately

Riddokun ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 6:31 PM

I tested already snowsultan's tutorials (therer were two fo them or i am wrong), and i was impressed about the clever though of the Z-technic, but it is not that :) in fact the idea is opposit to snowsultan's one as you NEED to have the full body and its shadows, while snowsultan's Z-reducing technic removes most of the shadows '(but it sure look grato too, anyway i never managed to get as much good results as him, because lacked preactice) i was busy today(stuff...), but i am trying to prepare a really small tutorial to help you making tests by yourself and help me/fasten the making of a tutorial for all... will try to post it till the end of week..

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 6:36 PM

Actually, it is hard to tell if it removes MOST of the shadows. We don't know how many lights were used. There are shadows on the hair, under the breasts and on the clothing and back/sides of the legs.

Riddokun ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2003 at 7:30 PM

i dont knwo exactly what it removes or does, and i stil find z toon awesome trick, but z reducing the figures inf act remove parts of the image/render that i need to work with ;)

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 4:52 AM

I'm not talking about the Ztoon technique, but the other one he posted much earlier

Riddokun ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2003 at 7:09 AM

ooh this one... yes i remember... it was based on cartoon with line render, mostly, like mayax one... as you may notice, i combine this (cartoon method) with untextured flat shaded render mode together.. makes something a bit weird but... i manage to get better results than i could with snowsultan's earlier method or mayax one.. (though many people seem to use both very well and get good results... not me :(

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.