Fri, Sep 20, 3:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 9:12 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 3ds and maintaining difference between materials in a Boolean union

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Tue, 04 November 2003 at 11:02 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 8:16 AM

file_82897.jpg

I'll attach a model I've created with two components. A brick and mortar. However, when I try to join (Boolean Union) them into one mesh I can't seem to keep the two parts from becoming either all brick texture or mortar texture. Do I have to go in and edit the mesh properties post union and allocate a material to each surface? If so, how?

As you can see my model is a little unusaul but once I get it right, I will explain how it works.

nomuse ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:27 AM

I see how they work. But do you actually need them as one mesh? The main disadvantage to simply grouping them is all those wasted poly's "inside" the brick part. I'm not sure boolean union is the best way to get rid of those, tho. Be cleaner to make a cut a little inside the joint, then group. Sorry...I forgot what application you are using. Would be helpful.

bilbo2_uk ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 12:20 PM

Thanks nomuse. I'm using 3ds max and planned to remove the 'hidden' facets from the the mesh manually. I then wanted to apply the correct materials to the faces that had been assigned the wrong materials. I dislike grouped objects as they go 'funny' in some of my renders. However, I'm now looking at a slight variation on my model. What I wanted to acheive was a single model that can be used to create a large and varied range of walls.

SPZ-Desdinova ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 12:56 PM
  • bilbo - Goto your modeling tab, use the polygon selection tools, select the polys, or faces, that you want. Then apply a material ID to those faces. You can then limit the texture to only those selected polys. Scan the web and look for some tutorials on the use of Max's Material ID system. It can be a bit confusing to use, but once you get the hang of it you'll discover that it is very powerful. Spaz....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.