Fri, Sep 20, 11:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: JPEG comperssion and color loss

Randys ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 7:52 AM ยท edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 5:29 AM

I'm having problems maintaining the original colors of an image after I compress it into JPEG. Is there a better way of of doing this rather than manipulating the original to adjust for the JPEG? I'm currently doing it by trial and error.

3DGuy ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 10:59 AM

Maybe you could try PNG and see how the colors hold up in that.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

Randys ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 1:00 PM

I just tried a couple there is less color loss in the png file but it is to large to use on the web

DHolman ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 3:20 PM

Color change? That's not usually a sign of JPEG compression. How are you saving the images? It kind of sounds like a colorspace issue. I had the same problem when I first started using AdobeRGB as my colorspace. Was saving as JPEG and there was a serious shift in colors. I found I had to convert my colorspace to sRGB first to get a good approximation. The biggest problem is that if you save for web, you will never get the exact colors because web browsers don't color manage. -=>Donald

Randys ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 3:48 PM

That may be my issue I have been saving for web. I'll give that a try. Thanks

DHolman ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2003 at 11:02 PM

Randy - Just remember, if you are sending the jpeg up onto the web, using Save for Web is the way to go. If you just save it as a normal Jpeg under SAVE AS then you also get a bunch of stuff appended to the image in the header that can effect some people using certain browsers (the image will either not display or in some cases can lock up their browser). -=>Donald

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.