Thu, Sep 19, 4:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: WIP

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 3:40 PM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 12:52 PM

file_96472.jpg

A set of WIPs from the latest. Still practicing with Cinemas modeling tools and its a great complement to Bryce. (Not planning on doing any scenes in it though. Bryce is still way faster to composition a scene and setting up lighting.) :) Must be doing something wrong though, the "bridge" had about 300000 polygons, almost as much as the entire city in the back. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

RodsArt ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 3:51 PM

Excellent, I've only played around in C4D. Got hooked on painting for now. Thanks for the insight!

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

danamo ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 4:01 PM

Thanks again for sharing the evolution of one of your excellent pics Rudy! It's reassuring to see that your pics don't just appear in their full brilliance, but rely on your well-practised workflow as well as your artistic vision. I guess even you put your pants on one tentacle at a time,lol!

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 4:15 PM

Thanx guys! :) On a side note, this scene costed me a whole folder of models, when Bryce had an error saving one. The entire section of presets went blank. Image 6 is whats left of that scene. I was very happy with Bryce right at that moment...

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

RodsArt ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 4:17 PM

Ouch!!

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

danamo ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 4:54 PM

Damn! That hurts!

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 4:58 PM

Ought to teach me to save models more often... :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Vile ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 6:37 PM

Are you still thinking boolean? stretch, mold, carve or what ever cinema has for lathing a model will cut back on the pollys. Great work BTW! I was wondering since seeing this first image if you do you setups in Bryce like a Movie set (blue screen) to make it easier to adjust in Photoshop?

burgi ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 6:55 PM

the penultimate pic looks like mos eisley or somewhere like it...

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 7:05 PM

I guess the great mark of a good artist is making the complicated look so dang easy..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

ysvry ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 9:15 PM
Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2004 at 11:37 PM

Thanx! :) Vile, I dont boolean in Cinema, it would be faster to do it in Bryce. This was box modeling, subdivision and nurbs, to get that "soft" look. (Probably why it got so heavy) Personally, i like to think of it as a complement to Bryce. :) I try to set the proper atmosphere in both scenes, doesnt necessarily have to be a blue screen. The eraser tool in PS is a highly used tool... :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

pogmahone ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 2:45 AM

Rochr - do you do concept sketches, or does it develop organically as you model? The bridge looks very much like something that developed from the process of modelling, rather than from a pre-sketch. lol wish now I'd held on to my freebie version of Cinema 4d - threw it away in frustration when I couldn't get it to register, read a solution for the problem on a forum later.

Rochr ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 5:12 AM

I actually never do sketches, but i have a basic idea thought out. I like to play with a shape and see how it developes. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Erlik ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 7:22 AM

I think the bridge is big because of the struts. Small things need more polys to be precise. And yeah, the rounded edges will bring the poly count waaay up. :-) BTW, try not to subdivide too much. I can get a pretty low polygon count in Rhino while keeping the smooth look. If you can, try meshing/subdividing the pieces of the bridge separately, you can certainly get less polygons that way. Or, at least, I can do in Rhino. For the whole pic, do I need to say anything? :-) Great as usual.

-- erlik

Rochr ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 9:55 AM

file_96473.jpg

Thanx for the tips Erlik.

I think the mistake was that i subdivided unnecessary polys, instead of just the edges (the pic).
Even Cinema crawl on its knees when moving it around. :)

Oh well, thats what learning is about. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

orbital ( ) posted Mon, 02 February 2004 at 11:00 AM

I find it fascinating how you work, thanks for posting these little "behind the scenes" wip.

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2004 at 9:33 AM

Yes indeed, thanks. I always appreciate the insights. Makes me think and that leads to new works and techniques. I have been playing with C4D of late myself. Nice job on the bridge and I really like the resultant image.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Tue, 03 February 2004 at 11:56 AM

Wonderful job.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.