Mon, Sep 9, 5:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 8:54 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Battlestar Galactica WIP

gps ( ) posted Mon, 15 March 2004 at 9:27 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 11:43 PM

file_102559.jpg

Modelled in Amapi, rendered in Poser. I have a feeling I might be working on this one for quite a while ;) Current mesh size - 16228 polys Thanks for looking :) - Graham

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 15 March 2004 at 9:30 PM

well, considering the original modellers used random parts from stock car models, etc., I could see modelling all those little doodads could take quite a while. If you continue the present level of detail on the rest of the ship, it will be some mesh..keep going with it.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

hewsan ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 2:15 AM

In the end you will have a very nice show piece for your portfolio. If intend to actually use this for projects though, would recommend doing multiples, each with different levels of detailing, or with heavy detailing only on the sides facing the viewer... so the most detailed can be used for up close beauty shots... while when seen ever farther away, hints of detailing - might be all that's needed, and can then help reduce render times. Unless of course you have one hell of a computer or a render farm of them... As mentioned on your gallery posting. Greeble on. It's looking mighty fine.

numanoid ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 2:24 AM

I would suggest making one highly detailed version for the close up shots, and one with all the detail done with textures and bump maps for more distant shots, otherwise this is going to eat the memory of even the biggest computer.

BazC ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 3:06 AM

Nice modelling!

laughingnome ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 2:55 PM

the big G ,my favorite starship design. nice work as always Graham ;) look forward to seeing it progress. stu

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 5:51 PM

Wow! Thats already a lot of nurnies you've put on there! I agree with husan and numanoid as far as making several versions with varying LOD. I look forward to seeing the completed showpiece version. This is looking fantastic.

cjd ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 6:29 PM

Great progress, look forward to seeing it finished! I wonder if displacement mapping could be used instead of modeled detail or bump mapping. Are there applications that can do displacement mapping without costing huge amounts of additional render time? Real time displacement mapping will be a major new feature in the soon to be released ZBush 2.0; however, ZBrush is not an animation program (yet!) Chris

numanoid ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 8:09 PM

The only problem with using displacement mapping is that people using a lot of programs won't be able to use the model. Poser, Vue, etc, all support bump mapping, but Poser 4 users won't be able to use it if it has displacement mapping.

gps ( ) posted Tue, 16 March 2004 at 8:54 PM

hewsan - that's good advice, but in this instance I'm just modelling the 'G' for fun, so render times aren't really an issue. It's occurred to me however, that I could use renders of the detailed version to generate texture maps for use on a lower-rez version (that way I could build myself a fleet LOL)

numanoid - I'm using a P3 800Mhz with 512MB of RAM - so I'm not exactly a power user myself LOL. I'm hoping that the final mesh will be less than 200,000 polys, which will make it smaller than the Humvee model produced by PoserWorks. I use this as a benchmark, as it's the biggest model I can work comfortably with on my system.

Thanks to everyone for the input and kind words, it's much appreciated.

• Graham

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 17 March 2004 at 2:57 AM

Cool model! Sigh...800MHZ, 512MB. I wish. lol.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.