Sat, Sep 21, 2:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: ERC -- What am I doing wrong?

dave3 ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 1:52 PM ยท edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 10:19 PM

Hey everyone -- I've got a spaceship figure that I'm making with a landing gear and a gear brace as two separate body parts. I would like to use ERC to automatically make the brace rotate into it's proper position when you rotate the landing gear open. I used the tutorial from RBTWHIZ.com to add the 5 lines of code to the gear brace rotation channel, but it doesn't rotate when the landing gear is extended. My first question is should the control figure always be listed as "Figure 1"? Should I be adding code somewhere other than just to the Actor:Leg Brace rotation channel? If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful -- and please be gentle with me, I'm new at code hacking ;-) Thanks! P.S. I'm on a Mac, if that makes any difference...

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 2:17 PM

Q: Should the control figure always be listed as "Figure 1"? A: Near the end of the cr2 is the "figure" section, it starts with the word "figure", the third line of the figure section is "name" line, the name on this line is the one you should use in your ERC slaving code.

figure
        {
        name    SAM-Beta001

The easiest way to find the start of the figure section is is to use the search function of your text editor to search backwards for the word "figure", starting at the end of the file. Also check the actor number (":3" for example)in the slaving code to make sure it matches the actor number used in the rest of the cr2. If you are still having problems post the text from one of your slaved channels, we may be able to spot the problem.

dave3 ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 2:22 PM

Wow -- thanks for the prompt reply! Thanks for the figure-naming info -- that will help a lot. As for the rotation, I figured out my problem there -- I was referring to the channel as "rotateX xrot" instead of just "xrot." I changed it and it worked like a charm. Again, I really appreciate the help!

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 2:38 PM

Ah, even Bloodsong (one of the gods here in the Poser community) made that same mistake once.

dave3 ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 3:33 PM

Well, I'm glad to be in such rarified company! While we're at it, maybe I can impose on you for some more advice. I have a hatch on my spaceship with two door panels that slide open. The door panels are named "airlock 1" and "airlock 2." I have rigged the ERC so that airlock 2 slides open when you open airlock 1; what I was wondering was if there was a way to show only "airlock 1" in the body parts list, and maybe make it show up only as "Airlock." And for that matter, if there's a way to make the "Translation X" dial show up as "Open" instead. I'd appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks!

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 4:00 PM

actor airlock 1:1
{

actor airlock 2:1<br></br>      {<br></br>   name    airlock 2<br></br>   on<br></br>  bend 1<br></br>      dynamicsLock            0<br></br>

translateX xtran<br></br>                    {<br></br>

dave3 ( ) posted Wed, 12 May 2004 at 4:14 PM

Thanks so much -- I really appreciate all your help!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.