Mon, Sep 9, 5:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Some WIPs of my next freebie - can anyone spot the 'inspiration'?

gps ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 9:30 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 6:37 AM

file_121724.jpg

Actually, it's not so much inspiration as evolution. Kind of a 'what if' scenario. And besides, there are already more than enough Humvees out there ;) Cheers - Graham

Moonbiter ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 10:11 PM

Isn't that the same basic design as the GI-JOE Jeep? Looks like it... Had one when I was a kid... uber cool. Yo Joe!

Berserga ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 10:48 PM

Vamp GI Joe Jeep? :D

fygomatic ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 11:11 PM

Looks good, like a butch version of Speed Buggy.

gps ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2004 at 11:31 PM

Interesting - I've never seen the GI Joe jeep before (I'm English BTW - I suppose our equivalent was 'Action Man'), but I just did a quick Google image search, and I can see why it's being suggested! I'm guessing that the designers of the GI Joe VAMP drew their inspiration from the same real-world vehicle as I did. In fact they also seem to have taken design cues from a second vehicle that borrowed heavily from this original vehicle - er... this is getting complicated now :) All will be made (relatively) clear in the next hour or so, unless a military 4x4 expert shows up and saves me an explanation! Cheers - Graham

wheatpenny ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 1:08 AM
Site Admin

Cool, a naked guy driving a dune buggy...

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

gps ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 1:11 AM

It's very hot in the desert ;)

gps ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 1:14 AM

file_121725.jpg

Meet the FMC XR311. Inspiration for the Lamborghini Cheetah, and also apparently the GI Joe VAMP ;) The US army might have chosen this instead of the Humvee as their high mobility combat vehicle. I'm working on the premise that they did :) Incidentally, FMC stands for Food Machine Corporation. Time for bed. - Graham

Viomar ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 6:26 AM

Interesting! For a second there, i thought it was inspired from the vehicle used by 'Jean-Luc Picard in ST:Nemesis'... :-) Well, maybe they based theirs on the "Real thing"... Cool Design! Marco

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 6:46 AM

It looks great!

Dave ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 7:41 AM

That's what I was gonna guess, Viomar (Marco). Kind of reminded me of that vehicle that Jean-Luc was just itching to test drive. Dave

shogakusha ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 8:44 AM

Very neat! Looks like this vehicle inspired a lot of folks }-) Your offerings are always top notch! Thanks, Shogakusha

Berserga ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 11:36 AM

Most of the 80s GI Joe vehicles were based on real world military vehicles. The Dragonfly chopper was a very nice recreation of The AH-1 HueyCobra, but with some kind of Notar system replacing the tail rotor. Likewise the Cobra Jet (can't remember what it was called) Was an A-10 warthog, but with cool VTOL pivoting wings (kinda like an Osprey) Anyway Cool vehicle gps, I can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it. :D

Barryw ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2004 at 8:43 PM

We need the cool jeep thingy from the Final Fantasy movie.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2004 at 3:21 PM

Yep, the British "Action Man" is the local branding of "G.I. Joe", who started out on the sixties as quite 'real' WW2 American. So, anyone want to do a Garand? There were quite a few alternatives, similar size but more crudely made. There was also some overlap with the Barbie-type figures, where the same mould might make a green Army jeep, and some flashy off-roader for Ken and Barbie.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.