Wed, Sep 18, 6:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce Bug?

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 2:50 AM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 8:07 AM

I'm trying to do an object mask render, and for some reason one object in the scene, a key part of the mask, will not show up in the render. The normal render it is there, just not in the mask. Here's what I tried: 1. Made sure the object was not set Hidden. :) 2. Applied the default Bryce mat. Had problems before with volumetrics not showing up in masks. 3. The object in question is part of an imported mesh. I thought it could be that (?), but the other imported parts are rendering fine. Just to be safe, I converted it to a Brycian sphere (just happened to be the right shape) and re-rendered. 5. Tried deleting it then re-adding it (Cut and Paste). 6. Duplicating it didn't work. 7. Created a new sphere primitive. Resized it to match the offending object, which I locked, then aligned them. Deleted the locked object, rendered. No dice. No camera settings were changed. Did I miss something?

Quest ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 3:08 AM

You must make sure that all the objects you want to be part of the mask must be selected (highlighted in red wiremesh mode)before rendering the mask.

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 3:39 AM

Quest- It was part of a group that was selected for the mask. That was how I noticed that the object was not showing up, though everything else was. Ungrouping made no difference.

Svaelt ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 5:14 AM

I've had the same problem, but found no solution.

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 6:37 AM · edited Tue, 21 September 2004 at 6:39 AM

Try making it positive in the Attributes. There might be a problem with normals or something like that. Edited: And try checking Solid when Booleaned for every part of the model.

Message edited on: 09/21/2004 06:39

-- erlik

foleypro ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 10:06 AM · edited Tue, 21 September 2004 at 10:10 AM
Online Now!

Same as everyone above says and if you have another 3D program bring the Mesh into the Modeling program select the OFFENDING Part and flip the Normals(With Poser you can flip the Normals on Import and then check it again in Bryce)...If all else Fails take the Mask into your favorite Paint program and Paint the OFFENDIN mesh white...Might be that the Objects normals for that Part was Flipped,But you did say that even when you put a Sphere it wouldnt show.... HMMMM well I quickly went over to my 3D computer turned it on and in a few minutes I had it rendering Clay's Volumetric Fire on a sphere and it rendered the Sphere Perfectly in MASK mode hence it would show the Volumetrics. So I am thinking that it might be something else... What is your Model and how Many Poly's is it...? Are you rendering the Mask with a Black Background...? TRY Grouping all of the Objects together that you want to mask,If they are Grouped in different groups then UNgroup and regroup as One Object then try rendering...If that doesnt work then take the offending Part out and replace with a sphere and regroup again...

Message edited on: 09/21/2004 10:10

brycetech ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 11:50 AM

actually, unless its part of a boolean...you should UNGROUP all objects and then select all and do the mask render. I think this is a "too many groups within groups" kinda thing. As Ive seen it, and this is how I get around it. btw, if the object you are trying to render is dependant upon transparency for its shape, it will not render as expected. It'll render the whole object as white (not just the non-transparent parts) luck BT

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2004 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies! And the winner is...... ;) Erlik- Tried both of your suggestions. No dice. foleypro- Normals are not flipped. The model is a 30's style streetlight. The part in question is the big glass globe at the top. The complete model is about 6000 polys, where the globe by itself is about 2000 of that. What do you mean by, "rendering the mask with a black background"? Its a mask, should the background already be black? I think the problem I had with masking volumetrics before may have had to do with the BR5 file become corrupted. I already tried ungrouping, then regrouping, the way you suggested it. :) brycetech- Well done, young man! Thanks! :) I'd still like to know why just that part of the streetlight will not show up when grouped, though.... I got my mask, so it doesn't really matter, but I'd be curious.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.