Tue, Oct 22, 6:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: dynamic clothing prop?

JayCeeRD ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 4:33 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:25 AM

Hi, What the heck makes the dynamic clothing prop so dynamic? When I bring it into Poser 5, it acts just like any other prop. I can't conform it... I can't find any body parts to move independently... it looks just like any other prop. And since it's clothing that acts like an imported 3d model, it's kind of useless. I KNOW I'm missing something... but what? Any help would be appreciated. thanks, john...

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 4:52 PM

check out my tutorial at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PoserCC/ It should give you a good idea of how it all works :) It's in the Files section so you'll have to sign up. The tutorial has a free paor of dynamic pants for V3 to play with too. John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

diolma ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 6:45 PM

Dynamic clothing needs to be used via the Cloth room. Load figure (and probably zeroise it - depends on the clothing, but most is made to fit the "zeroised" figure). At this point, don't pose it. Load corresponding clothing (hopefully it'll fit properly). Enter Cloth room. For now, accept all defaults. 1. Hit new simulation. 2. Hit Clothify and select the clothing item. 3. Hit Collide Against and select the character. 4. Hit Calculate Simulation. Wait. Then wait longer. (But watch all the time - the clothing will adjust itself to the figure, usually far more realistically than any conforming clothing does..) After that, well, if you're still interested, I suppose read the tuts etc. But for a simple example, do as above but: After loading figure and clothing, move to somewhere between frame 5 and 20 (it all depends on how quickly the clothing adjusts, and it differs for every single different piece of clothing. Only experience can tell you which frame to move to, but often 5 frames is enough). Now set a pose. Repeat the steps above for the clothifying, and watch.. Dynamic clothing is superior to conforming clothing in many situations, but is slow and takes time to comes to grips with. Conforming clothing performs better when the clothing is close-fitting and/or you need a quick turn-around in result time. So it's horses for courses. For background figures, it's far better to use conforming clothing. For up-front figures, dynamic clothing is well worth considering. (and in the middle-ground - well it all depends..) Cheers, Diolma

diolma ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 6:50 PM

Addendum - I LOVE Dynamic clothing! Although it takes time and patience and dedication, I just love the results it can achieve. For still shots it's wonderful. For animations it's also good (reservations ther 'cos I don't do animations). And search in the freestuff here at 'rosity for svdl's freebies... Cheers, Diolma

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 7:22 PM

I find it very difficult to make something I have made myself work in the cloth room, other peoplesstuff works fine but mine doesnt. I make the things single sided and no overlapping polygons etc and they still don`t seem to work. Sorry I forgot to set the rant tag.

MysticMind ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 7:49 PM

xantor ... can you explain what you see when you consider it to be "not working"? Other problems might be that there are poke-throughs; or you may need to assign some of the special groups (constrained, choreographed, etc).

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 8:02 PM

I consider it not working If I wait 15 mins and nothing happens, I made a poncho like clint eastwood wears in some of the spaghetti westerns and it started to drape it then seemed to do nothing for quite a while. There was no poke through. I made a cape that just didn`t work, the same nothing happening for a while thing.

MysticMind ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2004 at 10:46 PM ยท edited Fri, 15 October 2004 at 10:56 PM

Hmmm ... ok one thing, you might to want check the "Cloth Self-collision" option when you set up the cloth simulation. Things really seem to bog down when faces start intersecting with each other. If that doesn't solve it, can you somehow get a screenshot, in wireframe mode, of the point at which it hangs?

Message edited on: 10/15/2004 22:56

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 3:37 PM

I usually do set the cloth self collision option so that the simulation is more realistic. There really wouldn`t be much to see in the screenshot, the figure is there and the cloth at its default state (with the cloak at least).

diolma ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 3:53 PM

xantor, you can make a poncho tht works very easily: - Load the hi-res square (cloth square) in P5. - Export as a .obj file. - Import it into your 3d app and remove some of the centre polys (enough to leave room for the character's neck). - Export that back out, load poser, load your character and zeroise to default position, load the altered square and position it at neck level (be sure not to let anything actually touch the neck). Rotate the cloth by 45 degreess in Y. - Enter the cloth room and clothify it. Let Poser do the work of fitting it. - When finished (it'll probably 20-30 frames to get to a settled state),export the best frame back out as a "draped" obj, exit and restart poser (to reclaim the memory which it "forgets" to return to the operating system) and import your draped obj and save into props. Then you can work on posing the figure and know you have a perfectly-fitting poncho to start from. You can actually do all this in poser only by using the grouping tool to select the centre polys of the cloth-square, invert selection and create new prop, but using a 3d app gives you a chance to refine the neckline better... Also, if you want to texture it (w/o having to stick to square designs), map the flat poncho before clothifying it: makes it a LOT easier to apply textures:-) The above might sound complicated and longwinded, but it actually only takes about 1/2 hr (a lot of which is waiting for P5 to load...). Cheers, Diolma

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2004 at 4:58 PM

Diolma, someone made a poncho available for free so I will probably use that one. The first part of what you said was what I did but I used a high resolution square from my 3d app (imagine 3d) and then I cut a circular hole for the neck. It was saved as single sided polygons but it just wouldn`t work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.