Sat, Sep 21, 2:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Writing RPG's anyone?

emerald_darkness ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 8:28 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:32 AM

Wow, I never knew this forum existed. wide eyes lol, I'll definately try that challenge very soon... Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone is part of a writing RPG? I'm part of two, one that seems to have died... pokes it with a stick then shakes head, focusing again on this post The other which a friend and I just started two days ago and are still working on. Lol, I don't want to spam here, so I'll refrain from posting linkage unless someone is interested... wiggles eyebrows Again, getting back to the point at hand, I find them really useful in breaking through writer's block and helping fine tune my character design skills. And if you join some diverse ones they help extend your writing skills to different areas. I'm part of a fantasy one pokes it again, and the one we've just started is a modern day RPG with human/animal half breeds. I've been trying to find a scifi one to get into, but that's more complicated than it should be. wide eye stare at all the star trek and star wars RPGs And I've never even heard of a mystery RPG. I suck at mystery writing and could really use the practice, but I don't think they exist. So, anyone else write RPG wise? ~Jade

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 8:33 PM

I tried a role playing game based on CSI once, but I was awful at it. The problem for me is that when I get into a story, I see it going a certain way and it bothers me when it starts going another direction. I guess I'm just too inflexible. But don't heisitate to share your link...as long s you aren't providing a link to an adults only site, we don't mind linking. And please do feel free to join in the challenges and contests. The more people who join in, the more fun it is. :)

Satanimus ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 8:46 PM

I once tried Writing RPG in a site I used to be intersted in but it didn't really work, it was an any-one join in kind of thing, I might be interested in writing Fantasy or Horror with some-one...

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

emerald_darkness ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 8:51 PM

Lol, yeah, flexibility is hard, especially when you're dead set on your character's reaction to something and then that something doesn't happen, or happens another way. Sometimes it works out even better though, so I can't complain. I miss Kirainelle and I'm hoping the creator gets back into it soon. We went on hiatus for like a year before we picked back up and then three months into it again, she gets writer's block. Sooo... :*( That's another thing that's hard. When someone just stops posting and everything dies. It's like you write these really great characters whom you've fallen in love with and then you just have to let them go and not because you're tired of them, but because you have no where to put them. Before I never could understand why people wrote so many of the same characters in different RPG's. I now know and suffer the same fate. snuggles M'jora and now, Kathy too Anyways, ok, the linkage. http://www.icdesignz.ca/rpg/ So far Krish, Kris, and myself are the only ones playing, but we welcome anyone. smiles ~Jade~

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 8:52 PM

I think it would be interesting if you told more about what it entailed. Some people might like to join in but might be a little afraid to ask how it works.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 8:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.icdesignz.ca/rpg/

:)

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 8:59 PM

Have to admit, it looks a little intimidating.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 9:00 PM

Have to admit, it looks a little intimidating. This is more elaborate than the one I tried.

emerald_darkness ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 9:00 PM

Well, the way it's initially described in one sentence is, "A modern day RPG with a twist of the wild" It's based on a simple plot, the character creation makes it more difficult. About 32 yrs prior to the storyline an enviromental group developed a chemical that combines animal dna with that of humans who come in contact with it. They planned it to go further than it had, letting the animal take them over. But it failed, instead only combining the human with about 10-15% of the animal's dna. I went into great detail in the forum if you check the character information forum for the post titled 'the list'. This tell how the animals and humans combined and all the nifty little details. Of course a lot of the action comes from the fact the change wasn't well recieved and people are out to rid the world of these 'half breeds'. We're working on the details of the science center, which currently does horrible tests on both half breeds and people who came in contact with the chemical and didn't change. lol, I think that's a good short explanation. If you have questions, just ask. smiles ~Jade

emerald_darkness ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 9:03 PM

lol, yeah, it is a bit detailed, but it's not as hard as I'm sure it seems. It's pretty much just pick an animal, grab it's attributes (good and bad) place them on a human and combine the look, then type out their personality. Lol, that's what I did and I wrote the thing, so I hope no one goes 'too' overboard with it. ~Jade

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 9:10 PM

But then you have to bring them into the story somehow. And they have to interact with the other characters, no? Picking the animal would be the easy part, but how do you integrate your character with the storyline?

emerald_darkness ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 9:18 PM

Just post an open post, somewhere in there another player's character will talk to yours. I always make sure there's a way I can talk to the other players out of the RPG, instant messaging is a good idea, that way you can talk out the plots before you run them. It cuts down some of the plot confusion.

Satanimus ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2004 at 9:22 PM

You need to find an Intro hole, much like you would if you were writing a story, which is basicaly what it is... The problem is time, the more people the more time you need to spend with the characters.

Gods need mortals to believe in them or they die, if gods die are they not mortal, and if they are mortal...why then do we call them gods??.

CrystalWizard ( ) posted Fri, 22 October 2004 at 5:28 PM

sounds like an online version of the old PPM (play by mails). They can be a lot of fun if people are active.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.