Thu, Sep 19, 7:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Does DAZ Still Carry Victoria 1?

zippyozzy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 11:29 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 11:27 PM

I'm curious as in the V3 package you get 2/3. What did V1 look like???

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 11:33 AM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=85

Yes, DAZ still sells V1.

Staby ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 11:37 AM

Victoria 1 is to Victoria 2 what V3 base is to the complete V3 package (Base plus Morphs paks). Basically the Victoria 2 upgrade was just a new CR2 with (a lot) more morphs than the original V1 CR2. It used the same Mesh. They added a new default face morph too. V3 use a different mesh grouped and jointed in a different way > no morph compatibility with previous versions.

zippyozzy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 11:53 AM · edited Tue, 25 January 2005 at 11:56 AM

ahh, ok. thanks for the link. V1 looks pretty hot. What is the blank V3 & M3 for that Daz gives you with the free download? At first, I thought that was the V1 & M1 but it's the SAE version.

Message edited on: 01/25/2005 11:56

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 12:01 PM

The blank is for content makers. They use it to make clothes and such.

zippyozzy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 12:46 PM

ok thanks again. ;)

Aeneas ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 2:04 PM

Victoria 1 was in fact from Zygote... I didn't know Daz took it over.

I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now I'll be mad. (Rumi)

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 2:15 PM

wait a minute wait a minute. Isn't V1 included in Poser5? I show V1 RR in my figures. ::::: Opera ::::::

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 3:08 PM

No, she's not included in P5. But the reduced-resolution figure has been a freebie on several occasions, has been included on various magazine cover discs, and was bundled in several 3D packages, including Mimic.

operaguy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 3:21 PM

I own Mimic so that's where she came from! (Or from V3, which i own but do not use.) ::::: Opera :::::

zippyozzy ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 5:08 PM

DAZ Studio uses V3 & M3 base version right? I use Poser4 with V3/M3. What's Mimic may I ask?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 6:25 PM

Mimic is an automated lipsync utility that generates animated pose files for use in Poser and DAZ|Studio (there's also a version for Lightwave). Feed it an audio file of someone's voice, along with a transcript of the dialogue, and it'll make a figure's mouth movements match the speech.

Example (MPEG-1 format, 2.73MB)

elizabyte ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 10:13 PM

Victoria 1 was in fact from Zygote... I didn't know Daz took it over. I was a customer of Zygote. My first purchase was Michael, the Millenium Man (yeah, that'd be Michael 1). :-) DAZ "spun off" from Zygote. Zygote wanted to concentrate on high end modelling and custom stuff. DAZ was created to produce Poser content, and so took the Poser content with them. DAZ actually stands for "Digital Art Zone" (or it used to). I'm sure that there are details I'm unaware of, but that's it in a nutshell. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2005 at 10:41 PM

I never knew what DAZ stood for! I always wondered, actually...

zippyozzy ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 1:58 AM · edited Wed, 26 January 2005 at 1:59 AM

Spunoff or rippoff is more like it. Seem to me all DAZ is doing is borrowing from Poser's copyrights and using their figures and even software and calling it their own. Nothing that DAZ has done that I've seen over there is orginal. :)

Message edited on: 01/26/2005 01:59

cyberscape ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 3:33 AM

Except for V3 - "the boo-boo-spank-baby-of-the-new-millenium"!! :O)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 4:49 PM

DAZ (or Zygote, as they were known back then) made the Poser 4 figures. So if they did any copying, they were copying their own work.

As for D|S...they were afraid Curious Labs was going to go belly-up. They didn't want to be dependent on a program that might not survive, so they started making their own. Curious Labs been bought by e-Frontier, and is no longer in danger, but DAZ had no way of knowing that would happen.

zippyozzy ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 5:59 PM

I thought Victoria came from Curious Labs along with Poser? Then why change it if they owned their own copyright? So what's DAZ an off shoot or the same company and they split? Curious Labs? lol. Too confusing. I was just curious to see where V3 orginally came from.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 6:03 PM

No, Victoria 1 was made by Zygote/DAZ. She was always sold separately. She was never included with Poser. Posette (the P4 nude woman) is the female figure that comes with Poser 4.

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 7:58 PM

Curious Labs is the company that makes Poser. The Poser 4 models were made by Zygote on contract to Curious Labs. I don't know what the licensing was for them, but possibly, yes, Zygote (and then DAZ, who got all of Zygote's Poser content) still had a copyright or some right to produce things for them or something. Victoria was produced independently by Zygote. She was (and is) superior to the P4 woman in a lot of ways, which is why she was so widely adopted in the Poser community. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 8:00 PM

Bonni, who made Don, Judy, etc. - the P5 people? DAZ? Curious Labs? Or, as some rumors have it, RuntimeDNA?

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 8:12 PM

Attached Link: http://cubed.ie/services/serv_content.htm

Actually, according to my sources, it was the folks at cubed.ie. According to their website:

Our artists created all of the 3D models, poses and animation for the award wining Poser 5 software and Avatar Lab from Curious Labs.

See attached link. bonni

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 8:15 PM

Thanks! Too bad Don and Judy aren't as cute as those babies. :-) I am going to have to buy their dolphin one of these days, too.

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2005 at 9:42 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

judy can be cute. judy can be very cute. this is judy:

::::: Opera :::::

Staby ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2005 at 1:33 AM

As far as I know Don and Judy are just a rework of the original Poser 4 man and woman, but subdivided to have a higher policount and regrouped and jointed in a similar way to Michael and Victoria so they could use their poses. They were also remapped to take Michael and Victoria textures. The Cubed babies are a rework of the Poser 4 baby too and they had to RTencode them to sell them because of that, if I'm not wrong.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2005 at 5:15 AM

Interesting. So the P5 people are really DAZ's work, too, then.

I remember the baby thing. Only a few polys was still the P4 baby. When it was first put up for sale, it wasn't even RTEncoded. Later they decided it needed to be encoded. Even one poly, and all that.

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2005 at 5:27 AM

The Cubed babies are a rework of the Poser 4 baby too and they had to RTencode them to sell them because of that, if I'm not wrong. Yes, they're rtencoded, but they have completely different texture mapping and they leave every other baby model in the dust. They're gorgeous little creatures. :-) bonni

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.