Wed, Sep 18, 10:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 8:37 pm)

Subject: poser mangles max's obj exports

elenorcoli ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2005 at 11:33 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 1:07 PM

when i tesselate or meshsmooth an object in max and then export it in obj poser seems to mangle it. it seems fine in max but poser turns it into insane bumpies. anyone know how to pull this off? it seem that any surfaces that are not very regular get mangled as well, but very regular surfaces do fine. anyway, i'm still puzzling it out. thanks in advance for any advice.

Helen ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2005 at 11:58 PM · edited Mon, 07 February 2005 at 11:59 PM

You need to split the vertices then import it into Poser.

You can do that in UV mapper or program of choice.

Helen
Edited to add. It is Poser and not Max that most likely is causing the problem.

Message edited on: 02/07/2005 23:59

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

iamonk ( ) posted Tue, 08 February 2005 at 12:08 AM

Got a pic to go with?

elenorcoli ( ) posted Tue, 08 February 2005 at 12:33 AM

sorry i don't have a pic on this machine. i will explain as clearly as i can: i take a chunk off the top of the skull of the figure to make a skull cap out of for dynamic hair. i use meshsmooth or tesselate to add polys. i've done this as editable poly or editable mesh. i export the cap as obj, but when poser opens the model, the surface is very bumpy. i tried the split verts, but it did not do anything. it is as if each vertex created by max rests in a different plane than the originals, like they were all scaled out (or in). i have had success exporting the file as 3ds from max, but when i open it in poser, the model becomes totally triangulated. it is smooth, though, but an even higher polygon count. not a problem on this model, though. but on other models i may need more control over the seams, and triangles just don't give you that.

iamonk ( ) posted Tue, 08 February 2005 at 12:38 AM

Use a SMOOTH modifier on it in Max. Meshsmooth and tessellate will increase the polycount, smooth will take care of the sharp edges of the polys.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Tue, 08 February 2005 at 4:05 PM

What are "insane bumpies"? ;-) I haven't noticed any problem with exporting stuff from Max, I do all my work in Max 3.1. I use the ever-popular Habaware plugin, but I do (mostly) convert my stuff to editabla mesh near the end. Poser does want to smooth things, and the amount isn't adjustable in Poser, you have to allow for it when you model- if you want a sharp corner you need to define it with edges close to each side. I don't think Poser supports the smooth option on OBJ files, BTW, iamonk, at least I can't see any difference.

elenorcoli ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2005 at 11:33 PM

ah ha! i didn't notice the smooth modifier. i will give it a pop and see what happens. danke!

elenorcoli ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2005 at 8:10 PM

as it turns out, if anyone is interested: the answer is in the habware plugin, at the bottom it says, file | # of digits and the default is 1. i have no idea what this means but i increased it to ten and successfully exported the exact, nicely curving mesh. thanks everyone

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.