Wed, Sep 18, 1:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Help -- importing OBJ groups into Poser 4

Scharmers ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2001 at 11:36 PM ยท edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 5:11 PM

Here's the deal. 1) I created a female mesh in 3DSMax 3.5. Then, I chopped it up into various objects. Each of these objects matches the names neccessary for most Poser ops (head, lshoulder, etc.) 2) I saved the mesh as .3ds. 3) In 3DExploration, I opened up the mesh, then saved it as an .OBJ. 3DE informed me that the seperate objects in the mesh (the body parts), would be saved as .OBJ groups. With me so far? 4) Then I fired up Poser 4 and imported the .OBJ. It was NOT broken up into groups, just a single mesh. Clicking the std hierarchy button did nothing. 5) Just to test, I opened up a standard P4 .OBJ model, the business woman, from GEOMETRIES. She imported as a single object, too. Where am I screwing up? Saving each body part as a seperate .OBJ theoretically works, but damn is it a pain in the ass to individually import, rescale, etc. each body part. I thought an .OBJ grouped up was supposed to load as seperate body parts in Poser. Any ideas on this? --scharmers

Sesh ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2001 at 1:00 AM

After selecting the figure, hit the grouping tool button, then click on spawn props. The figure should seperate into its parts. You can then delete the original mesh. That's what I do when I create a mesh in C4D and bring it into Poser to adjust the joints.

Scharmers ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2001 at 1:54 AM

Thank you!

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2001 at 7:26 AM

I always use a .PHI file when making a Poser model.

mertext ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2001 at 3:26 PM

go get the Max2Obj exporter save yerself a step

aka MCDLabs
also known as Daniel Merrill a grumpy old disabled Jarhead.
checkout my freebies at
https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=mcdlabs

Sesh ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 12:57 AM

Anthony, I use the .phi method if there is a .phi file I can use as a template (I hate to type). For a non-standard hierachy, just using your mouse to arrange things in the hierachy editor sure saves the typing.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 2:19 AM

Attached Link: http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk

I'm not scared of typing. I have written long computer programs. (Also space stories, see the attached link.)

Sesh ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2001 at 12:01 PM

Attached Link: http://www.glyphscribe.com/

Very impressive list of accomplishments Anthony. I have dabbled in C++ programming even if I hate to type, see the attached link.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.