Mon, Sep 9, 7:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: To Postwork or not to Postwork

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 4:23 PM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 10:57 PM

file_249563.jpg

Hiya all :) I've been messing around with painter and I'm personally really happy with the results.

However I've had the poorest viewing figures ever on the couple I've done so far.

Just thought I'd ask your opinions on the attached image, I think the postwork one is loads more interesting. None of the effects are global filters, it's all hand done (oh the joys of a tablet :) ).

Anyway let me know what ya think, It's ok if it's negative, as long as it's constructive :)

Thanks all

John

(We are all 60% banana)

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

KimberlyC ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 5:11 PM

IMO honestly, I like the straight render. :) Ryuslilangel Poser Moderator

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 5:13 PM

most people visit the poser galleries looking fo 3D images your post worked image no longer looks 3D it might do better in a 2D illustration gallery.

My website

YouTube Channel

VacuousSapient ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 5:20 PM

What kind of format did you render to so that you could modify in Painter?

vilian ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 5:23 PM

I like both, the first one as a 3D art, and second one as 2D. Pure render has great lighting and is very sharp - postworked is soft and dream-like. It's up to you what and how are you gonna submit to the gallery. Both pics are good, belonging to two different world though. Good luck :)

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 5:48 PM

There's really no correct answer. Usually "Postworked" means painting hair and/or clothing, adding softness, lighting effects, that sort of thing. The image on the right goes beyond what I would consider "postwork". Both are nice though, it's just whichever you prefer.

unzipped ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 6:47 PM

As an image (not a display of poser technical skills) I find nothing interesting about the straight render. I find lots interesting with the postworked image - that you did it "by hand" and not with a filter makes it even more interesting. Unzipped

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 6:52 PM

John, art is subjective, so it's whatever is pleasing to your eye. Don't worry about what others prefer, it's what YOU prefer. Make yourself happy with your art, and if others like it, that's just a bonus :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 9:32 PM

The hair and the eyes are lovely. The neck is monotonous, why all strokes going the same direction and same size more or less? Especialy the cheek in shadow? The background is great on our left but flat and weak on our right. Forehaed very nice but green edge transition between her left shoulder and the background doesn't work for me. Painting with concentrick brush strokes might be nice. And more randomness in hue. Lighten shadow on hair our left since in painting people general supress shading shadows to some extent. More shading to express volume of her left cheek? Straight render has nice texture and pose but is not so interesting to me. Paint render is nice, especialy the eyes. I do nearly only digital paintings from renders but I do not post here as there is no interest. InDepth forum (URL I forget) was more interested in digital painting from Poser and otherwise. Personaly I am more interested in such "painted" poser work than the straight stuff. Thanks for showing.

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2005 at 10:57 PM

Attached Link: Anton Kisiel designs Poser & Photoshop Tutorials

I like the straight render to. I don't know if you'd be interested, but I have some fun Pose/Postwork tutorials on my site if you want to peek. Regards, Anton Kisiel

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

face_off ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 12:04 AM

Don't associate viewing figures with image quality. The best image is the one you like best! Although I'm a "no postwork" nut, in this care I prefer the postworked image - as it's had more of your creative input.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 12:15 AM

IMHO, the straight render is boring, and something I've seen thousands of times. It's a huge yawn for me. The postworked image IS more visually appealing to me. It's got a nice human touch, and it's got more creative input (as face_off so aptly noted). Don't worry about viewing numbers. Work for yourself, do what YOU want to do, and enjoy your experimentation. A high number of views does NOT mean the work is good, and low hits doesn't mean it's bad. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

philebus ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 1:32 AM

You shouldn't be put off by viewing figures. My own efforts at postworking a natural media finish (mine were filter based) also had low viewings. High viewing figures come with 3d and a nuditiy tag, not quality. My highest figures are with those and they are not my best pictures!

jimbo90125 ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 2:56 AM

I like the postwork image best. Wish I knew how to do postwork.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 6:26 AM

HI all :) Thanks for all your comments. VacuousSapient - It was rendered to a jpg, nothing special. On the one hand of course it's frustrating to me that quality is no real measure of anything, it's not that I need numbers to validate my own work, but how do you measure your own improvement and success? If people's opinions don't matter, why be a part of a community? Don't get me wrong I'm not having a go at anyone here, I'm just a bit disenchanted with the gallery side of things. The fourms, tutorials, store and all really work and I've enjoyed sharing my thoughts and creating tutorials and content and the feedback I've had from people has been really great, making all the hard work sweat and tears worthwhile. However the gallery side of things is a bit more confusing. Anyway enough of that :) time for me to go get some breakfast. Take care n have fun. John..

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 6:54 AM

I'm just a bit disenchanted with the gallery side of things. Heh. Join the club. If it ain't got huge breasts or a bare arse, it won't get many views. As the saying goes, only tits get hits. It's also very difficult to get constructive feedback here, because of the oh-so-sensitive "artistes" who can't stand anything that isn't gushing praise. I agree with you, the gallery experience is less than satisfying on a lot of levels. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

LornaW ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 7:24 AM · edited Sat, 04 June 2005 at 7:29 AM

I enjoy the postworked one for same reasons as stated above here many times, because the straight one is just the same old yawn and sleeper snooze one sees plenty here and the painted one peaks interesting wake up value.

The only thing I would add, or suggest, is that if your going to postwork it, change stuff too, or add something, make it totally yours not just partly and add some good old imagination to just a face with hair and eyes.

Unless it's someones portrait or a specific cause. And if you really want to get some attention to this work, paint a naked manhunk or a blond with a big pair of boobs as a reflection in her eyes, as if she is looking at them in a surprised fashion, that will get you lots of hits fer sure, lol.

Message edited on: 06/04/2005 07:29

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 8:39 AM

LornaW, BRILLIANT! Make sure you crop the thumbnail to just the eye reflection tho...

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 10:14 AM

Now you've put a smile on my face :) loon, so add a bare bum or something somewhere in the image and only put that in the thumbnail. That will certainly help on teh hits I'm sure :) Maybe just make a thumbnail with a naked bod in it which has nothing to do with the image :) As to being criticised I have no problem with that. Anything constructive is really fine with me. In fact I think to much gushing praise isn't helpful, if you don't know what could be improved how are you gonna grow? Thanks again :) John..

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 12:31 PM

With prior permission from Fugazi, here is my go at paintifying his render. Photoshop 7. A little over the top but representative of my digital style. John, now you see why I havn't got much comment on my stuff when it was in the gallery.

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 12:32 PM

file_249564.jpg

With prior permission from Fugazi, here is my go at paintifying his render. Photoshop 7. A little over the top but representative of my digital style. John, now you see why I havn't got much comment on my stuff when it was in the gallery.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 1:27 PM

Looks cool to me momo :) looks alot like a painting done with a pallette knike and oils. I like it :) I've been painting for alot of my life (with real paint type stuff) and I'd be real happy if I could do that. I was never very good with that style, I reall like it though. I know this is a digital artwork site n all that, but I think it's a shame that the general idea of art here is quite narrow and tends towards the ultra real. Thanks for your support :) John.

philebus ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 1:50 PM

I don't know if you saw the post about this yesterday but in case not, Deep Paint 2 (the 2.5d version) is now freeware, you might want to have a go with it for postwork. Its worth the download just the texture resource but has some very nice paint simulation if you don't have Painter. You can download it here: http://www.download.com/Deep-Paint/3000-2191_4-10398243.html?tag=lst-2-7 Here's a review if you want to know more about it: http://www.designer-info.com/Writing/deep_paint_2.htm

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 4:58 PM

Thanks philebus. I have Painter 8 but never use it except occosionally for the dynamic watercolors. Total waste for me. I feel much more in control with Photshop though I wish the cloning wasn't pixel for pixel and the art history tool I have never got use from. I want PSP9 for the Ambient Design paint engine (see there freebi ArtRage at ambientdesign.com) but don't have the money. John, thanks. I also come from a painting background. Sometimes I feel I am the only person around here who use Poser along the lines of its original conception.

philebus ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 5:14 PM

I've been going through the Deep Paint help files, it seems to have a plug-in for photoshop so that you can move work between the two programs. If you want to paint, this could be of use to you as a plug-in.

elizabyte ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2005 at 11:16 PM

Sometimes I feel I am the only person around here who use Poser along the lines of its original conception. Like you, I come from a traditional art background (although I went into graphic design). I've been working for a couple of years now to move more toward digital painting and away from straight renders, using the Poser figure(s) only as a base and then painting, tweaking, adjusting, etc. from there. This is just personal taste, but I think that most Poser renders look pretty much alike, and I try very hard to get away from that look through postwork. bonni

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.