Tue, Oct 22, 5:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Will Facegen work with Mimic?

beos53 ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 2:09 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:30 AM

Will a head that was created in Facegen, then brought into Poser and then add all the morphs that facegen created to the head. Then saved as a figure or prop. Is there any way to get Mimic to work with this head? I know Mimic looks for certain things (which I don't know what they are). Is there a way to add these things to the Cr2 and if so what are these things that Mimic looks for Or is this even possible for this type of a head (one created in Facegen)? Thanks for any information

PoserPro 2014, Windows 7, AMD FX-6300 6 core, 8 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 2:15 PM

Almost any figure can be made to work with Mimic 2 or Mimic 3, provided it has the necessary expression and phoneme morphs. Mimic 1 was somewhat limited, in that it utilized specific body parts and morph names, but later versions are configurable. I don't think you can make Mimic work with props alone. I do know that Poser won't apply poses to props, unless they're parented to a figure.

beos53 ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 2:28 PM

Little_Dragon...Thank you for such a quick responce I have to leave for work (about 5 minutes ago), but anouther question Can I just copy the expression and phoneme morphs from Vic 3 and paste them in the Cr2 of this new head (something like this head is new terrority to me) Thank you again

PoserPro 2014, Windows 7, AMD FX-6300 6 core, 8 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 3:30 PM

You could copy them over, but they won't work properly (if at all) unless the new head has the same geometry as Victoria's. The vertex count and vertex order must match. I suspect that the FaceGen head uses a different mesh, unless you somehow imported Victoria's head into that application.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 5:29 PM

FaceGen is an expensive app to buy on the off chance that it might work for your needs.

I'd advise investigating the program thoroughly before making a decsion to purchase it.

BTW - TrueSpace has a built-in face/head generating function. It might be worth a look.

Something To Do At 3:00AMย 

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 8:03 PM

The faceroom in poser 5 and 6 can do most of the facegen stuff.

sbertram ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 9:01 PM

You have to do A LOT of work in order to make Facegen work with Poser figures...I've done it...and the results can be pretty cool. I've never been able to to match the facegen heads up with the Mike/Vicki mesh, so I've had to make the facegen heads into props that can replace the Mike/Vicki head and then morph targets can be applied. It takes A LOT of work in order to avoid unsightly neck lines. In most cases, I am able to do so...but it is not easy, and these characters will never really be able to go into extreme neck poses without postwork being done to the image. Facegen is cool and it serves my purposes, but it really is a lot of meoney if you're only planning to use it in sync with Poser. The guy who makes Facegen would make so much more money if he was willing to cater to the Poser crowd a bit more. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem all that interested though. At least, that was the impression I got from a few e-mail conversations with him. You could probably talk to him yourself though. He seemed like a pretty nice guy. (I got the impression that singular inversions was kind of a one-man show...though I could be wrong. Maybe he's just their rep or something.) Anyway, hope this helps.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 9:12 PM

sbertram, xantor: The face-room technology in P5/P6 was licenced from Singular Inversions, the maker of FaceGen.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 10:05 PM

I knew that, that was why I mentioned it.

sbertram ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2005 at 10:44 PM

Yes, I understand that. I have to say though, that the Facegen results I've attained are faaaaar better than anything I've ever been able to achieve with the P5/P6 faceroom. Even though on the surface it appears to be the same system - I've worked for hours in Poser to try to clone someone with the faceroom, and come up empty handed and disgruntled. Five minutes (okay, maybe 10) with Facegen and I've got a perfect match. Now the downside to this is all the work that has to go into putting the head on your Poser body, and doing the morphs, and textures and stuff. The good news is...you REALLY only have to do it once, for each character (M3, V3, etc.). Then, if you save that default character, you can import the morphs for the new characters you make and it only takes minutes to turn them into a pretty good clone. BTW, I set up my Facegen characters to be Mimic compatible, and I have to say the results are beautiful. Now, here's the funny thing...if I try to bring the Facegen/Poser character into Mimic, it doesn't know how to deal with the swapped out geometry of the head (I replace the head with the facegen head prop), so the face does not appear to move at all in mimic. But take it into Poser and apply the pose...and WALLAH! It works great. If anyone truly wants to see an example, I could probably figure out a way to post an example clip...and maybe some pucture comparisons if you really want to see.

marco-xxx ( ) posted Fri, 02 September 2005 at 4:48 AM

Poser 5/6 faceroom is a limited version of Facegen. I suspect the better flexibility of Facegen is due also to the fact that Facegen loads a "neutral" face where Poser 6 loads Jessi o James face. Poser 5 loaded a neutral face, similar to Facegen, and its faceroom was more flexible: would be good if in next SR - I hope there will be one! - CL will restore this possibility also in P6.

beos53 ( ) posted Fri, 02 September 2005 at 4:19 PM

I thank everyone for their anwers to my question I have tried Poser faceroom a little and after I finished with it my figure had a little resemblance of the person I was trying to copy but not much.

movieseller ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 7:47 PM

sbertram, how did you get Mimic to work with the Facegen .Obj files you imported into Poser? I have imported the main .Obj and applied all neccessary morph targets and I am able to control the mouth movements via the dials but what's the procedure for getting the file to work in Mimic? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sbertram ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 8:28 PM ยท edited Tue, 17 January 2006 at 8:30 PM

Hey there Movieseller,
I basically made sure to name all of my facegen headmorphs to match the P4 head morphs and then when I use Mimic, I just use the P4 guy/girl (If you try using the facegen-headed figure then the figure's head will not appear to move in mimic - strangely enough) and I use the standard conguration file (dmc) for Mimic. But when you apply the mimic pose in Poser, you should find that your facegen character's head works quite well.
Hope this helps! Let me know if I you need any more help!

Message edited on: 01/17/2006 20:30

movieseller ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 12:46 PM

I must be doing something wrong as can not get it too work at all. Here's what I've done: While in Poser 1. Imported Obj created in Facegen 2. Applied all the morphs that came with it 3. Imported P4 Casual Male and made the head/eyes invisible 4. resized & lined up the Facegen Obj with where the head should go and applied the neck of the P4 Casual Male figure as the parent. 5. Renamed the Facegen morph dials to correspond with the P4 Casual Male. In Mimic 1. Imported sound / text 2. default.dmc for the configuration file 3. CharacterPoser 1-4Poser 4 HiBusiness Man.cr2 for the character file 4. Mimic seems to lipsinc fine then output to .Pz2 pose file 5. import to Poser What I have here now is a posable P4 male figure with a head on it imported from Facegen. The expressions and phonemes of the Facgen head are controlled via the morph dials for said prop when selected. But... I still cannot get any Mimic files to work with it. When importing and playing the pose file, the Facegen head moves slightly but only because the existing P4 figure it sits on moves because that has taken the Mimic poses. The imported Facegen Obj is not affected by the Mimc pose file. Any ideas what I'm doing diferently to you?

movieseller ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 1:09 PM

I think I may have gone about applying the Facegen head to the figure the wrong way. I initially made the existing P4 head invisible and lined up my Facegen head and set the P4 head as the parent. I think I should have lined the Facegen head up with the P4 head and click REPLACE WITH - P4 head with facegen head - right? I tried this and immediately lost all my morph targets I had imported. However, when reloaded the morph targets for the Facegen .Obj, they now seem to be picked up by the Mimic file when it's imported. But, there's another problem now. When the morphs are used the Facegen Obj grows larger and shoots down to the floor. I seem to be going in the correct direction in one respect but wrong somewhere else. Any ideas?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.