Wed, Sep 18, 5:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Volumetric Clouds in Vue

dburdick ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 3:15 PM ยท edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 4:34 AM

file_291366.jpg

Vue has the ability to make decent looking clouds with a little work. All of the clouds shown here are volumetric mats on spheres. The next message explains how.

dburdick ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 3:19 PM

file_291367.jpg

Here's how to do it. Take a sphere, scrunch its depth in, and map the material shown in the pic onto it. You can adjust the puffiness by increasing the depth of the sphere. The key is mapping the diffuse channel to the fractal that creates the cloud density. You can ajust the brightness of the clouds by playing with the luminance channel and the filter hooked to the diffuse channel.

Djeser ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 3:52 PM

Whoa, that's excellent, Dave! Thanks again for some great information.

Sgiathalaich

jc ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 5:35 PM

Yes, thanks - valuable methods!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 6:24 PM

They are really nice looking- but the main drawback of Volumetric Clouds and Fuzzy Materials is that they are awefully slow to render. I've tried Fuzzy Cloud Balls in other renders and while the previews look nice- when it comes render time they are incredibly S L O W. I use an Athlon 64 with 256MB nVidia card and 2 GB RAM and even then I usually bale-out of a render after I see how long its going to take with these kinds of materials.

dburdick ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 10:34 PM

file_291368.jpg

That's strange about the long render times. I just did this piece using about a dozen volumetric clouds and a GA atmosphere and it took less than 5 minutes to render. If you want the scene file for this, you can get it here (only 250 KB):

Volumetric Clouds

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 17 September 2005 at 11:15 PM

Your scene has a nice foggy kind of effect but the clouds are not really the Fuzzy Cloud Balls that I was referring to. Also- there is very little really "volumetric" happening in your particular scene. Rendering against a relatively plain flat background IS pretty fast- but that's not what I was thinking of... However- if you WANT to use Fuzzy Materials- like Furry-Fuzzy Cloud Balls- I would suggest rendering them against a BLACK PANEL- saving them as 2D Bill Boards- and using the "Flight Simulator Clouds" approach. The 2D versions, with Alpha Channel Masks- actually work quite well. Plus you can multiply them in groups and have the "Fuzzy Volumetric Cloud Look" at hugely reduced CPU rendering time.

jwhitham ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2005 at 6:38 PM

file_291369.jpg

I have to say this looks to me like the most convincing clouds I've yet seen.

dburdick, I've taken one of the cloud mats out of your scene and blended an angle of incidence node to the density, then applied it to metablob groups for this image. This is getting close to what I'd like, and at last... shadows!

jwhitham ( ) posted Sun, 18 September 2005 at 7:18 PM

file_291370.jpg

Density way up, luminance down, they're starting to look a bit threatening. Really getting into this, but it's way past bedtime.

war2 ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2005 at 2:38 PM

thats looking real good jwithman

jwhitham ( ) posted Mon, 19 September 2005 at 6:30 PM ยท edited Mon, 19 September 2005 at 6:33 PM

file_291371.jpg

Thanks, I think I'm finally learning something about the function editor.

This view from above is interesting; five identical metablob groups at different scalings, look how the functions scale. Also if you make large changes between the scale of spheres within a blob, you get a right mess.

Message edited on: 09/19/2005 18:33

jwhitham ( ) posted Tue, 20 September 2005 at 7:45 PM

file_291372.jpg

Getting into backlight now, not a great image, but they really are starting to affect light like clouds do.

Djeser ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2005 at 3:54 AM

This is so cool; I spent some time yesterday trying to replicate this with Dave's screenshot printed out, but I'm afraid I need a version for function dummies...

Sgiathalaich

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.