Wed, Oct 2, 9:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: P6 Ray Trace and hair/figure transparency defects

richardson ( ) posted Wed, 05 October 2005 at 10:52 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 3:32 AM

file_294630.jpg

Can anyone explain this? Using Quarker hair on Miki. Hair that intersects body also severs bodies shadow on ground.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 6:21 AM

It looks like yet another firefly bug.

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 6:34 AM

xantor, I started to get this when I raised RayTrace map size from 512 to 2048.

face_off ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 9:26 AM

This is strange - I wouldn't have thought that the shadow map size would have any effect on ray tracing. I'm not absolutely sure from the image above what the specific problem is - is it the hair at the front, or the tatoo-like thing on her back?

Creator of PoserPhysics
Creator of OctaneRender for Poser
Blog
Facebook

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 9:39 AM

Raising the map size should make the shadows look better unless there is not enough memory available for firefly to render shadow maps that size. You could try changing the shadow min bias number and see if that has any effect.

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 9:40 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_294631.jpg

Paul, That tattoo thing is the RayTrace shadow. Light is square and facing down at her head at 45 degrees. All is "visible" with shadows enabled. Attached: Hair severs body shadow (arm) and makes its own strange patterns on ground. Same as on back. Maybe the overdialing of the hair (figure) has turned its normals. WAG

face_off ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 9:51 AM

Mmmmm. It's almost like the shadows are ignoring the hair morph/magnets that you have applied. Have you tried a depth mapped shadow - bias 0.01, map size 4096 (yes it will render slow). If that works, it means it's a r/traced shadow issue. If not, then maybe the hair is blowing out your memory, so the shadows are reverting to it's zero'd pose.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 10:56 AM

Ehhh, Guess I'll let it slide. Appreciate the responses but too much to do besides bracket Ray Trace. Just hoped someone had seen it before. Paul, Love shadowmaps but you sacrifice transparency on hair props. Well maybe not at 4096! lol

dlfurman ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2005 at 4:33 PM

I have seen this before in some of my renders. I'll have to check the lighting and shadow setup. It is most disconcerting.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

face_off ( ) posted Fri, 07 October 2005 at 2:05 AM

At a map size of 4096, shadows maps are very very similar to ray/traced shadows, except they have nice blurring, and don't get tangled up in dyn hair.

Creator of PoserPhysics
Blog
Facebook

Batesd ( ) posted Fri, 14 October 2005 at 1:36 PM

I have seen the problem before and posted it, both here and at Runtime Dna, since I first noticed it with Apollo Maximus hair, and incorrectly thought it was specific to that figure. Essentially I was told my settings must be wrong in some way, but nothing I have tried has gotton rid of the problem, including using the poser presets. I gave up and just ignore it, now :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.