Tue, Oct 22, 12:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: I don't understand the SCAREBEAR FEVER...

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 2:00 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:42 AM

I suppose it is the typical storm with a new model... the same in its moment with Victoria3, TheGirl or Apollo... all the people talking about it, all the people creating stuff for it, all the people rendering pics with it... and... ooff... all the models have their fans and anti-fans (I love TheGirl, but a lot of people hates toonish models). I love Stravinsky but a lot of people says thats noise... But... scarebear is a BEAR !!!!!!!!! Sorry. All my respects for the designer, the fans and the stuff modellers. But if I dont write this, I explode. Understand me. Sunday working and my email full of scarebear's threads ;) Next time I will talk about hamsters. Or scarehamsters :D

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 2:04 AM

(this tread will self-destruct in five second)

CASETTE
=======

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:12 AM

What the hell is a "scarebear"? ;-P Seriously, I have no idea what it is. I must be out of the loop.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

elizabyte ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:16 AM

Oh, dear. Another "some people like something that I don't, and it pisses me off" thread. gets some popcorn ready bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:19 AM · edited Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:29 AM

Uh... I don't know... er... a bear which scares...?

:D

Nononononono, bonni, I don't want to open any war. People likes Freakybear? Fantastic for me!!! I prefer to render people (and better without clothes) :D

Message edited on: 11/06/2005 03:26 And I LOVE freebies and people who create freebies Only I can't understand this FE-BEAR...

Message edited on: 11/06/2005 03:29

CASETTE
=======

yungturk39 ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:26 AM

:D Is that what kind of thread this is? Actually, I was kind of thinking the same thing...and not because I don't like the model. For me, I think it's more a matter of thinking something like this: "How dare they take such an active interest in this model, and shower it with their attention and creative energy?? They should be busy toiling away at freebies for my faves like MDP F-202, Staci, the GIRL, the Vickies, or Posette!!" I can't allow the steady stream of fantastic freebies and product I've been enjoying to become interrupted! Curse you, Scarebear!!! ;)

Starkdog ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:28 AM

I think what Cassette is trying to say, is that he doesn't understand why a teddy bear would be so popular. I think because it is a change of pace from human/anime characters, people see it as something new, and different. Look what happened when DAZ released the Emoticons. Same thing with Dark Whisper's characters. People fail to realize that not everybody is using Poser and/or DAZ|Studio to make NVIATWAS renders. As a matter of fact, Elizabyte and Pokeydots have made some of the cutest addons for these unique characters. I like to see such innovation and creativity. Besides, doesn't V3 have enough dynamic dresses and battle uniforms/bikinis? -Starkdog

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:32 AM

STARKDOG: yungturk39 and Starkdog: Sure, JUST THIS :) Why people don't explodes in a SARA fever??? All doing freebies for her... (hey, I suppose there is a place to say "I love this model" but also "I hate this one" without any troubles, nah?) HOORAY FOR SCAREBEAR!!! (but not for meeeh)

CASETTE
=======

yungturk39 ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:33 AM

Vicky can NEVER have enough bikinis or dynamic clothing. Keep it coming!!! :D Vicky and I'll stay faithful to you, wonderful freebie creators, even if you must have your "fling" with this "bear"... In the end you'll come back to us... ;)

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:45 AM

Hey, and dynamic clothes for Vicky2 and Steph1... these models render very nice under Poser6

CASETTE
=======

elizabyte ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 4:53 AM

Nononononono, bonni, I don't want to open any war. hands you some popcorn Vicky can NEVER have enough bikinis or dynamic clothing. And they can never have enough lacy undies and/or swords in temples. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

Argon18 ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 5:36 AM

Well I'm always on the lookout for more swords,temples and jewelry for Vicky to be naked in. Especially since I haven't finished my Tarot card deck yet. Although I did find some good uses for the Emoticon add-on that Pokeydots did for my book. I've seen a few images with the scarebear I think, but I haven't bothered to get it yet so I doubt I've been a victim of the fever. I don't have anything against anyone that does find uses for it though. After all variety is the spice of life, right? You might as well try a lot of different stuff to stimulate your creative flow.

Click to get a printed and bound copy plus T-shirts, mugs and hats

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 7:42 AM

Talking about it is one sign of the fever. I predict the next signs will be.... A gallery full of TEDWIS pictures. Questions in the merchants forum about "does my promo images show too much fur" Earnest debates in the copyright forum because some one is recolouring and selling a scare bear fur resource kit. And you'll know when the take-over is complete when this site is re-named Bearoisty.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 8:00 AM

Bearoisty... gosh... and galleries full of Bear-In-A-Temple-With-A-Sword... AARRGGGHH!!!! And face_off selling his new Ultimate Ultra-realistic Fur...

CASETTE
=======

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 8:31 AM

Casette, every once in a while there is a figure released that is just meant to be fun. The same thing happened with the Emotiguy from DAZ and the Namhei hair from Kozaburo. The number of bear images comes no where near to the volume of naked Vicki's produced each day...

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 8:40 AM

I prefer naked Vicki's... :D

CASETTE
=======

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 8:50 AM

Naked Vicki's are ok, but in the abundance that they are mass produced, they get a little boring. It's fun to take some less mainstream figures like Ringmaster, Scarebear, Elle, Eroko, etc and see if you can get a good effect with them. For my Scarebear image it was just playing with IBL to get a similar effect as when I was playing with the CP dinosaurs. Sometimes it's easier to try to improve your work when you're playing with animals or toon figures over toying with human figures.

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 9:02 AM

Over at DAZ a few weeks ago, people were talking about the amazing popularity of the toon gecko they released during their last madness promotion. Some thought it was proof that people like toon figures better than realistic ones.

I don't think that it. I think it's just easier to make images of and freebies for silly or toonish characters than for "serious" ones. It allows people to lower their standards a little. They don't worry so much about not being good enough. If it's just a render of Emotiguy, you don't spend weeks tweaking the lighting and still hating it, you just post the damn thing. ;-)

aeilkema ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 10:06 AM

It's just another hype, all most people around here is go from one hype to another without ever creating something serious at all.... they're to busy joining the latest hype. For most people around here Poser (or D/S) is just a toy and I guess a toy bear fits their needs perfectly then. Hype's like these are the main reason I hardly visit any poser galleries of forums anymore. I'm a bit tired of hypes.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 11:00 AM
Site Admin

I like cartoony figures. I haven't checked out this new scare bear (I'm still playing with the regular bear I got free from the PC at daz). But to answer your question, cassette, it's another of what people sometimes call a "flavor of the week" figure. It's immensely popular when it first come sout but its place will soon be usuroed by the next "flavor of the week" figure...

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

xoconostle ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 11:24 AM

Attached Link: http://www.netherworks-studios.com/

Actually there's no glut of dynamic dresses. There's even less dynamic clothing for male meshes, which is understandable, since feminine clothing is ideal. Bikinis and nighties and frilly little panties? Yeah, lots and lots of all that, but I'd love to see more dynamic clothing. Lots more. Even for Scarebear. :-) The context of the Scarebear release should be taken into consideration. I'm assuming in good faith that the people making the negative remarks don't know the larger context. If I understand correctly, (and please correct me if I get any of this wrong, folks) Netherworks lives in New Orleans, and suffered great loss from Hurricane Katrina. For those who don't know, Netherworks is a very talented and generous member of our community who has made very useful freebies and delightful commercial products for a long time. Some community members offered donations to Netherworks after the storm. As a "thank you" to the community, Scarebear was offered for free for a limited time. This coincided appropriately, if coincidentally with Halloween season ... the idea of a menacing teddy bear ... it's as cute as it is funny and "scary." Quite original and charming. The community enthusiasm is in large part a matter of making something fun and positive in the aftermath of a horrific disaster that has affected thousands of Americans directly and millions of others less directly. Although I didn't happen to download the bear because I didn't feel I'd use it, I think the world of Netherworks for his fortitude and generosity and positive spirit in light of what he endured. Bear (heh heh) in mind that while the Teddy Bear is now a globally beloved children's toy, it's American in origin, and holds a special place in sentimental American iconography. A teddy bear with fangs is pretty appropriate to today's "cool" sensibilities. We are indeed a very trendy community, and when "the latest thing" comes along it can sometimes be annoying when it's not *your* thing. Gads, I quickly sickened of the GIRL phenomenon. So many gawdawful cutesy-tootsy barbiedoll renders ... bleh. But that's just me. To someone else, she was charming, sexy, adorable, beautiful ... all that good stuff. My "bleh" reaction doesn't invalidate the appreciators' one bit. Even though Scarebear isn't this community member's "thing," I think the whole phenomenon in this case, given the background context, is wonderful, and think very highly of Netherworks and the people who supported him for making lemonade of a big lemon.

momodot ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 11:26 AM

martian_manhunter, what kinda stuff are you doing with the DAZ teddy? I am not being sarcastic. I am just curious. Where does Scare Bear come from? I for one would like a nice doll figure, a real ball-in-socket jointed style doll, the kinda spooky Japanese china doll, Victorian looking, like the stuff in the Tim Burton animations. Actually any kind of jointed doll, some skinny guys or broken china dolls like in Brothers Quay movies. Are thee any "jointed" figures?

Argon18 ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 11:33 AM

It's probably more like since it's released a certain point then most are inspired by it at the same time because they get get it then and it's something new to spark their creative impulses. I'd think it's a bit cynical to just label it only hype when there are other reasons for the ebb and flow of the popularity of some types of images. I like that idea of NVITWAS fighting the BITWAS that would be kinda of a cool twist on the genre.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 11:46 AM

file_302512.jpg

The SB fever is nothing compared to House Mouse mania. But where is the Wapi doll mania--not even a single DD breast morph for her, much less a sword and she's too small to carry Vicki's. Come to think of it, she's too small to carry the Double D's too. Never mind...

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 12:07 PM
Site Admin

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=358&cat=22

No, i don't mean the daz teddy bear, I mean the Daz bear. I'm using him in nature/landscape scenes.

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 2:09 PM

"Where does Scare Bear come from?" Netherworks studios, plus there an increasing aftermarket of freebies and commerical addons. And to the distractors... This is a original and creative idea, most importantly it's good fun to work with. Maybe if you made some stuff instead of critising those that make freebies and new products, you'd understand why. Then gain I supoose this is roisty, where that whine the loudest seem to do the least art, freebies and products :)

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 2:21 PM

No te enojes, Casette. This too will pass. We have seen dozens of similar items promoted here, only to fade away after a month or two; that's just the nature of this forum.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 2:37 PM

I find it a bit insulting that some figures should be considered fads that should just pass into obscurity. Sounds like a little bit of sabotage to me...

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:29 PM
Site Admin

None of them really pass into obscurity. Those that are fads still remain popular with a few people. EJ was one, but I'm one of the "loyalists" who continue to use her. >>Sounds like a little bit of sabotage to me... << Only if one of the competitors is deliberately undermining sales or something. Otherwise it can't be helped that soem things stay popular and others don't. All of them start out as fads, just some turn out to be more durable than others. Sometimes, as in the case of Vicky, because of enormous support from the user community (how many hundreds (or even thousands) of add-ons have been made for the 3 versions of Vicky?. Others "fade into obscurity" because of limited use potential. There are some items for which there are way fewer uses. And others, especially new human figures, simply because there are so many similar ones out there that it's really hard for a new one to get past the "latest fad" stage.

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

vilian ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 3:48 PM

Ditto with you, PapaBlueMarlin. Why is ScareBear considered something worse than Vicky ? Why to kill a market for something a bit different by insulting it ? ScareBear is adorable. He was a great way to say "thank you" by Netherworks to the community, and is awesome piece of work. For many people he is more pleasure to work with than human figures - certainly for me is. I know ScareBear will be (along with Scarietta) a wonderful addition to my library of figures constantly used (HouseMouse is my frequently used figure since I got him and I'm not ashamed of that). I admit I was over-hyped when EmotiGuy came out, but I don't use him anymore - just because emotiface is not too versatile for everyday use. But both ScareBears and HouseMouse are so versatile and fun that I prefer doing something stupid and cute with them to producing yet another half-nekkid Vic in a temple. The amount of ScareBears freebies will help the bears to stay "everybody's favourite toy" for a bit longer. Long live ScareBears !

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

narcissus ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 4:54 PM

It is very strange how things come about popularity of alternative (nonDAZ) figures and that people underestimate free quality figures,this is something I'll never understand!!!

I had the same thought many times in the past for various hypes, it doesn't annoy me no long I for sure prefer it from the unmorphed (some times even bald!!) V3 in the half images of the gallery !!!

However when people support something there must be a reason...

pitklad

momodot ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 5:21 PM

What ever happened to Sara. Sara one was such a cool figure. Version 2 less so.

pokeydots ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 7:20 PM

Well I'm a toon figure freak! I love them all, I just don't have as much time to render images as I use too. I had more fun dressing Noggins Iguana, than I ever did dressing Vicki! lol

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

Netherworks ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 8:27 PM

No Scarebear :( I guess you won't like ScareMonkey either when he comes out. Well, he's actually ScareBear disguised as ScareMonkey but it's a bit hard to explain right now. ;) I don't know if he's a fad right now - which means he's due to fade away. Who knows? I'm surely going to support the figure as I think that creators should do. Be that freebies or sellies or both. :) I'll surely be doing other figures to in due time. But I seriously doubt that they'll be going in the direction of realism as I think that's covered. In spades. Especially with regards to realistic human females and male core figures. The only thing I can say is that they'll be fun - maybe even gorey fun. ;) And that's what I'm shooting for. I can't please everyone and I'm not about to try - I say that in terms of asthetics. But if you like characters like those presented in "James and the Giant Peach", "Nightmare Before Christmas", "The Incredibles" and maybe even "Chicken Little" (well, on acid), then you'll like what shape my future projects hold. If not, you'll just have to do your best to ignore me :) That being said, I take no offense by any opinions or complaints posted in this thread and any comments I've made are not directed at anyone in particular. ;)

Argon18 ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 9:05 PM

But where is the Wapi doll mania--not even a single DD breast morph for her, much less a sword and she's too small to carry Vicki's. Come to think of it, she's too small to carry the Double D's too. That's probably your answer not enough support for accessories, right? Not enough versatility in the figure for various uses, I'd expect. I'd probably get a lot more uses out of figures similiar to "The Incredibles" since they can probably be put into a wider range of scenes

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 9:07 PM · edited Sun, 06 November 2005 at 9:07 PM

Scare Monkey?! That sounds intriguing, hehe

I wish you accepted Visa at your site. I wanted to get a few things there the other day and found that you only accept PayPal :(

Message edited on: 11/06/2005 21:07

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

slinger ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 9:10 PM

Come on then...who wants some? ;)

want_some_small.jpg

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

Netherworks ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 9:31 PM

Acadia, contact me privately and by email and we'll see what we can do. I'm a guest here and I want to uphold Render's policies on their site :) Now SB is useful and morphable - I'll put a wireframe up for you on my site so you can see the mesh. I don't know how far I can cross the line with that here. ;) You'll see when the ScareMonkey is done. I have to finish that bugger and stop talking about it. My shop was on the fritz today so I spent all of it upgrading and fixing. :( All good now. slinger - there you go! Perfect companion. Innocent, cute, cuddly... and he'll take yer head off!

Francemi ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 9:41 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, violence

Attached Link: http://Francemi.net/categories/scarebear_01.htm

This is the reason I favor Netherworks' bears. I am just fed up of NVITWASesssssssss all over the place. I like to work for kids (of all ages).

promise.jpg

And as you might already know, I am Project Manager at 3dSaraCreations.com where Sara is still alive and kicking. Sara 2 is as cute as Sara 1 in a less toony way but even so, you can make her look exactly like Sara 1 with the morph DarkWhisper gave us for her and that you can also download at 3dSC.

As for the fact that freebie providers are making a fuss over the bears and stop making Vs and Ms freebies... I say you have every right to ask of a certain genre of merchants but NOT of freebie providers.

France

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Netherworks ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 10:05 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_302513.jpg

I'm calling this one a NVIATWASWASBH Naked Vicky in a Temple with a Sword with a ScareBear Head. :D Thought it might ease you into the ScareBear threads a bit better. ;)

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 10:11 PM · edited Sun, 06 November 2005 at 10:12 PM

Quote - NVITWASesssssssss

Huh? > Quote - NVIATWASWASBH

Double huh? Message edited on: 11/06/2005 22:12

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 10:39 PM

Now "That" is Barey scary. 8 )~ Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

momodot ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 10:39 PM

NakidVickyInfrontofaTempleWithaSword.

Netherworks ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 10:50 PM

Actually, it's NVIATWAS derived from NVIAT :p A search on either will turn up a lot of posts.

Francemi ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2005 at 11:23 PM

Joe, it is cute but still, I prefer the real bears! lolll

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Casette ( ) posted Mon, 07 November 2005 at 3:46 AM

mateo, no estoy enfadado, im not angry, only a lil'bit surprised NVIATWASWASBH?????? ... well, I'm also a lil'bit SCARED... O.o (WHOAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D ) Oh, finally a thread with this IMPORTANT info to me... so the ... uh... "official" acronym for that recurrent class of pic is NVIATWAS?

CASETTE
=======

Alisa ( ) posted Mon, 07 November 2005 at 3:44 PM

QUOTE:"I wish you accepted Visa at your site. I wanted to get a few things there the other day and found that you only accept PayPal :(" But if you sign up with PayPal, THEY accept Visa. ScareMonkey?? Chicken Little on acid? LOL, Joseph!! Cheers, Alisa (Scarebear fan)

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director

Rubbermatt ( ) posted Tue, 08 November 2005 at 5:35 PM

ScareMonkey? Does he come with a shock prod? ShockyMonkey!!!!! Won't mean anything except to Foamy fans

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 08 November 2005 at 5:39 PM

:D Neurotically Yours ;)

Rubbermatt ( ) posted Tue, 08 November 2005 at 6:39 PM

Heh heh, the poserverse needs some squirrely wrath ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.