Sun, Sep 15, 11:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Winterwonderland

Dennisld ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 8:34 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 11:26 PM

file_315217.jpg

I'm grateful to Rykk and ligt for their suggestions which I have incorporated in this latest WIP. As I said in my last thread, this is the first time I've played with the application Apophysis and enjoyed every minute of it. This picture probably took about twenty hours actually work to get to this stage through about 15 incarnations resulting from multple changes and re-drawing of flames to get suitable shapes to use in the body of the picture. Hope you like it. While I'm still interested I've started another scene, this time underwater and I'll post a WIP in due course for you to comment on. Is anybody else doing stuff like this, it does seem a logical step to take beyond producing the fantastic variety offered by flames. Would be interested in seeing some other similar work. Dennis

Mags61 ( ) posted Thu, 29 December 2005 at 12:21 PM

I do like the 'suggestion' of a bridge and the ring round the moon - the whole picture certainly has a very wintery feel. Just one question - why are you posting your pictures in the forum and not in the gallery? You would probably get more feedback there if you allow comments to be made. There are several artists doing Apo scenes - myself included every now and again - there are some in my gallery if you've got a moment to take a look and all the ones I have done are on my website in the 'Fractal Pictures' gallery. http://www.maggiejacksonallaboutimage.co.uk Look forward to seeing your underwater scene when it is finished. Mags

We don't cease to play because we grow old, we grow old because we cease to play.

Dennisld ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 4:32 AM

Mags >> Thanks for the advice, the picture is now in my Gallery. Had a browse through your website - stunning. Dennis

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 3:02 PM

This is the sort of thing that you will see in many of the other forums (example: Bryce) People who are learning their application will post Works In Progress (WIP) so that others can help them to learn new tips and tricks. As we all know, most comments in R'osity are 'Wonderful!!!!!' 'Fantastic!!!!!' but seldom 'maybe you should try moving the moon', so that in other forums people ask for constructive criticism with an unfinished image to get more real help. On rare occasions, it might get a bit ugly, but for the most part it is a friendly and helpful exchange. Thanks, Dennis!

Fractals will always amaze me!

Mags61 ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 9:15 PM

I've never seen a WIP in this forum before - didn't realise it is what you're supposed to do when you're learning - I certainly never did! I've had some very helpful constructive criticism from comments posted on my images in the gallery so was just trying to be helpful - apparently I got it wrong!

We don't cease to play because we grow old, we grow old because we cease to play.

Qualien ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2005 at 11:30 PM

"People who are learning their application will post Works In Progress (WIP) so that others can help them to learn new tips and tricks. As we all know, most comments in R'osity are 'Wonderful!!!!!' 'Fantastic!!!!!'"

I like the idea of WIPs in forums, and agree with tresamie. For me, it has gotten to the place where I hesitate to post actual criticisms in the galleries, as it seems almost cruel to say something which is not entirely positive.

Dennisld, having said the above, I can't find much I don't like about your image! I think the haze around the moon is a little too much, especially in contrast with the angularity of the rest of the image. I like the way the few hints of color add to the feeling of cold, but maybe I would take the saturation of the blue down even more.

Dennisld ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2005 at 5:40 AM

Hello everybody, Can I first say thanks to all have posted in this thread with comments and advice, it is very encouraging. tresamie >> I do have a Bryce Gallery and have even won a couple of awards for my efforts but I very rarely post WIPs in the forum these days. I've had my fair share of criticism most of which is well meant and helpful. But so many people over there seem to only want syncophantic plaudits from a legion of 'do-gooders' who do nothing but hold that person back in his/her developement as an artist. Why should anyone improve or further experiment if every picture produced, being almost identical to the last one, still enjoys cries of 'awesome image', 'wonderfull colours', 'your best yet', etc., etc., O.K. rant over - I think we agree on this. Mags >> I am surprised that the WIP-in-Forum format is not more widely used over here. As a beginner with Apophysis I greatly appreciate imput from experienced users of my use of fracals and welcomed the suggestions put forward for 'Winterwonderland'. To trawl through the Gallery and other links provided, including yours, has been an eye-opener for me concerning fractals. However, having said that I don't think 'Winterw...' would have been the same if I'd done research first, I came to Apophysis fresh as a daisy without preconceived notions of what can or should be done with the application, which I think helped. Mags, I don't think you got it wrong at all, it just seems that the practise of putting WIPs for comment prior to Gallery posting has gone by the board for now. Well, keep an eye on the Forum as I'm just about ready to post my 'fishy' picture for comment. Qualien >> I think I've covered most of your comments but even though I've already posted the picture in the Gallery [a few more votes needed for a debut listing in the HOT 20 with a debut picture! :)] I will make the changes you have suggested and will report back. It is very difficult to be entirely self-critical after working on a picture for hours on end, you tend not to see the obvious but which is perfectly obvious to another eye. QED put a WIP up for comments. Thank you. leanndra >> After just one picture leanndra has added me to her favourite artist's list. I am both flabbergasted and honoured. Your obviously too kind for an old man with a penchant for doodling. Thank you. Dennis

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.