Mon, Sep 23, 8:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Function Editor

RemcoVANMERM ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 8:17 PM ยท edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 8:19 PM

Is there anybody out there who wants to write a clear, comprehensive and detailed function editor tutorial for nitwits? Something like "Vue Function Editor for Dummies". I keep reading about the incredibly powerful feature which is the Function Editor. Id like to learn more about it, but I dont understand anything...... The tutorial I found here is too complicated for a newcomer like me... (Ive had Esprit since christmas 05, and been working with Infinite trial version before that for two months) Thanks in advance

dburdick ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 8:37 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/tut.ez?Form.ViewPages=939

I wrote a small tutorial on the function editor in the Renderosity tutorial section which you can find at the link. I'm not sure if this the one you found too complicated, but it will get you pointed in the right direction. The key point to remember is that functions produce values in the range of -1 to +1. When you understand what the -1's and +1's are doing, (e.g by using an RGB color map), you can easily observe the behavior of the various noises and math functions. It's best to try and play with it with a simple model (e.g. a sphere) and then try different things. Also, the included Vue mats are a good source of examples of how to use various functions.

RemcoVANMERM ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 9:13 PM

Thats indeed the tutorial Im referring to. Im sure its a great tutorial for those who have a basic understanding of the function editor, but I dont have even that. Plus I use Vue 5 Esprit, and not Infinite. I have a feeling that the Infinite version has still more possibilities. Your example of a foamy shoreline is great, but I cant seem to use it in Esprit. How can I get the "distance to object below" command, for example? And I would especially like to learn more about functions for procedural terrains. I have a feeling that some really stunning terrains can be created with the function editor, but I lack even the basic knowledge to get going. I dont have the insight to learn it from scratch. Or perhaps more honestly, I dont have the patience...

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 4:41 AM

The "distance to object below" node is indeed Infinite only. There are more nodes avaiable in Infinite than in Esprit. For procedural terrains, there is a great flash tut you can buy at cornucopia3d.com, for 20$. I agree, it isn't cheap. The fnction editor is powerful, and can be intimidating at first, but it really is the only place to create good materials and terrains. As suggested by dburdick, just load a material in a Vue scene, and check how this material was created in the function editor. Then change some parameters, and check how the material is affected by what you changed.

RemcoVANMERM ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 7:12 AM

Thanks. Ive been messing around with a RGB colour map, but so far didnt get any wiser. I guess it takes a lot of time to get the insight. I have seen the flash bundle at Cornucopia, and I would like to buy it actually, but i dont have a credit card... And I dont have any inspiration to create the winning Winter Wonderland Contest picture, where this flash bundle is the price... ;) Ill just have to work hard on my patience then...

dburdick ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 12:59 PM

I can see that perhaps a more basic tutorial on the Vue function editor is probably needed. I think I'll extend the tutorial I have by including a section on the basic layout and workings of the function editor although the basic Vue documentaton is pretty good in this regard.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 2:48 PM

Dburdick, the Infinite manual is indeed pretty good, but the Esprit manual is baaaad on the subject imho.

jc ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 11:38 PM

It would take a whole team i expect, but i'd love to see a Function Manual matrix of widgets/properties/values/effects/link to example. Similar to an API specification. Would be a huge job to create, but very valuable, especially if built into the Vue 5 help system. _jc Art-Head-Start.com Art training e-book for digital artists. Free chapter on lighting, some tutorials and models.

dburdick ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 2:34 AM

I think the Vue Infinite manual does a great job of explaining the effects of the various nodes - complete with pictures of many of the noises. I think where some beginners are getting stuck is that they don't fully comprehend the basic workings of the function editor and they don't posses the basic math understanding required to use it properly. I like the jc's idea of building a matrix with examples of the major inputs/functions/outputs or perhaps we could build such a hierarchy in the backroom to make it easier to find appropriate function combinations.

RemcoVANMERM ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2006 at 8:40 AM

Im very happy to read all these ideas. I would value them greatly. Its true that the esprit manual only gives a one-sentence explanation of what each node can do. Not very helpful.... Good luck with the fulfillment of these new ideas! and thanx in advance

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.