Wed, Oct 2, 9:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Pro Pack and .bum maps

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 4:58 AM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 8:28 PM

Hello: I updated from Poser 4 to Pro Pack just this morning, so certain aspects of it are new to me. One of them is a quandery with bump maps. I open the materials menue and load a .jpg file for use as a bump map, and instead of converting it to a .bum file, Poser now loads the .jpg directly. is this proper, or is something wrong with my Poser? Any advice will be appreciated.

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 5:14 AM · edited Sun, 29 January 2006 at 5:18 AM

I don't know anything about Poser 4 and ProPack, but so far as I know in Poser 5 and Poser 6, a "bump map", is a grey scale image and they aren't created in the material room.

I'm playing in the material room now and trying to figure out what the different nodes do, and found that if you connect your 2D image map to a math node and then connect that math node to "Bump" on the poser surface "window" (not sure of the proper name), that you kind of end up with a bump map of sorts. Playing with the number in the "Bump" will give different degrees of bumpiness/texture.

Otherwise I think you have to go to your graphic program, convert to grey scale and then resave it out as (name)BUMP.jpg from what I've seen inside my texture folder.

I am still learning the material room, so it's possible I'm missing something, so before going into a spin of panic, hehe, wait for someone else to reply who has more knowledge of that room than I do.

Message edited on: 01/29/2006 05:18

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 5:17 AM

It is right, propack loads jpg bumpmaps without having to convert them in any way.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 5:22 AM

There is nothing wrong with your PP, in fact this is one of the improvements that PP added over P4.

Enjoy your (mostly) .BUM free rendering experience.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.