Sun, Sep 15, 5:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: After reading Quest's thread, about painting apps

chohole ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 2:10 PM ยท edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 12:26 AM

I have come across a free d/l of a prog called "deep paint" which apparently used to be a commercial program, but is now free. Is this prog any good, is it woth while installing, etc, etc. I currently use mainly PS, but have psp and corel on the pc.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developย  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 2:48 PM

Any free paint app is worth checking out, do you have the URL (link)???

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

draculaz ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 2:50 PM

as far as i can remember, although i might be wrong in regards to the app (i think deep paint 3d is the prog), you can import pre-uv-mapped obj's and paint them in real time. quite cool. all the same, i've played with it, largely the same commands as PS. drac

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 2:56 PM

Attached Link: http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catPlugins_Rig_Deep

There is evaluation software for Deep Paint 3d, and you can BUY Deep Paint(2D) from the Adobe store, but I saw no free app pertaining to Deep Paint per se....see link, if you found a free version IM me, it could be a pirated copy...

draculaz ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 3:02 PM

i just downloaded it off download.com, so it can't be pirated. it's a dumbed-down version of deep paint 3d. s'okay. drac

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 3:40 PM

Yep, Right Hemisphere made "Deep paint2D" freeware. While you can't paint an object in "real time" you can still import your UV maps and paint them. I've found it to be a useful app. Definitely worth downloading.

chohole ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 3:44 PM

I found it whilst googling for some plugins, picked up this as a plugin for PS, but it is a stand alone version as well.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developย  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 3:52 PM

Yeah, I remember this happening, I too had downloaded the free version of the Deep Paint (from download.com) I hadn't installed it at the time, because I had just got my tablet, and Corel Paint LE. AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 3:55 PM

Okay, yeah...it is Deep Paint 2.0 (an early version), and you can get it from download.com here; http://www.download.com/Deep-Paint/3000-2191_4-10398243.html?tag=lst-0-1 I had found an old review of DP 2.0, you can get a basic idea of the program here; http://www.perpetualvisions.com/articles-and-graphics/review-dp2.htm AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

draculaz ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 4:02 PM

notice, if you will, how he's distracting attention from the whole tablet issue... "because I had just got my tablet".. and then WHAM! url, review, external links, manipulating us non-tablet-owners into oblivion. :P drac (THERE'S A TABLET ISSUE!)

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 4:26 PM

It's the latest version of Deep Paint and Deep Paint 3D. Nothing later than 2.0. Deep Paint used to cost a pretty penny and I was quite surprised when it appeared on download.com. (I think I posted a note about it here. I certainly did in some other places.) The only difference between Deep Paint and DP 3D is that you can interacitvely, in real time, as danamo said, paint your models in the 3D version. The painting tools are absolutely the same. DP is a program for the simulation of traditional painting tools. So you get a picture that looks like it was painted in acrylics, oil, watercolor, chalk, whatever. You can either paint, or clone over your render with the artistic brushes. For an example, see Stuck in a moment in my gallery. It's definitely very much worth downloading. And I wonder why Adobe is selling it.

-- erlik

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 4:37 PM

Attached Link: http://http://www.righthemisphere.com/forum/showthread.php?s=289fb7e8fe0144219e743ee7568a61f7&threa

I first learned about Right Hemisphere "de-launching" this product from Erlik's previous post, though Kemal announced it even before then. It's got some dandy texture brushes too, perfect for detailing a UV map. Here's a thread from Right Hemisphere about adding your own textures for brushes.

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 4:40 PM

Using a mouse in a paint app is like painting with a bar of soap, I love my tablet...=)

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 5:14 PM

Glad you reminded me about "tablets"! I snagged an old Wacom USB PenPal tablet for $5 at a garage sale (boot sale for our UK friends) this weekend. Made a quick visit to the Wacom site and they had updated drivers(XP) and a PDF manual for free download. Gotta love a company that continues such service for their legacy products! BTW, the tablet works great! I can see now why all you folks that have 'em make a fuss about 'em. :)

RodsArt ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 6:19 PM

Wouldn't paint without one. DP is a great little program, can also shell out from Photoshop as a plugin.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2006 at 7:36 PM

with what they charge for Photoshop, they can afford to be generous..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

EYECON ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 5:59 AM

After using a tablet...my intous 2 (now intous 3) i can nver open photoshop without holding the tablet... i love it so much i even use it as a mouse! Hehehe my lovely lovely intous... Hey drac a tablet is not that expensive... try wacom graphire 4, relatively cheap and it will do wonders on your digital painting!

artnik ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2006 at 12:53 PM ยท edited Wed, 01 March 2006 at 12:55 PM

Attached Link: http://www.ambientdesign.com/

There's a great little program called ArtRage that also emulates real-world media (chalks, oils, etc.). The free version is a bit limited, but usable. The full version is only $19.95, I think, or thereabouts. It works with a mouse or a tablet. It's a program I really enjoy using. Check it out and see what you think.

It has some limitations, but if you do a bit of experimentation, it can do a lot more than you'd expect. It even has Metallic and glitter paints built into the full version. It's fun to see what you can do with it. The link's above.

Message edited on: 03/01/2006 12:55

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 12:31 AM

A drawing tablet is a must for serious work. Not that it cant be done with a mouse but it would take a hell of a lot longer with plenty of downtime correcting and back stepping as compared. A tablets pen tool is a much more natural feel and flow. My Intuos II has gotten plenty workout. DeepPaint 3D version 2.0, I have it as a Photoshop Plugin and can be used as a stand alone as has already been stated. I hardly ever use it since Photoshop is my main stay when it comes to textures (and Painter) but it is chock full of great features and comes in handy especially for those need fast textures. I really need to pay more attention to it. You can define if you want to make a color, bump, shine, glow or opacity map selecting such things as lighting and lighting angle, brush characteristics and brings many preset brushes. In 3D you can rotate your model in 3D space and paint directly on it. Absolutely a good and useful tool, go for it. My first introduction to 3D model painting programs came by way of Fractal Design Detailer, anyone remember them? I still have that CD here somewhere. Also tried Mesh Paint and a few others.

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 2:52 AM

There's a trick I figured out for using the mouse in paint programs during my hiatus from the internet - if you're on Windows 98 onward you can use the native accesability options regarding the mouse, lift your mouse up so it doesn't move - (use a tin can or such so you don't have to hold te mouse up) and you can move the mouse using the numeric keyboard with full control and full functionality. Neat eh? so thanks all for the links . . . (mouse happy) 8:)

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2006 at 2:57 AM

Ahhhhh . . . 58 megs mouse not so happy - well I'll schedule it for tommorrow night. mouse happy again 8:))

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.