Sat, Aug 3, 6:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 02 3:21 pm)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Landscape tutorial by Johannes Rosenberg / cajomi

Singular3D ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 4:05 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 10:02 PM

This is a great tutorial and it really helped me to make a giant leap forward in understanding how to make a landscape scene from scratch. As this tutorial was written for Carrara 4 it doesn't use the new Carrara 5 features. I really would love to see an update, because some of these features are not clear in the manual. I also would love hints to other tutorials that explain the Carrara 5 shader features in more detail.

woodboat ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 4:41 PM

I completely agree with you. That cajomi tutorial is spectacular and continues to be very helpful to me too. An update would be welcome - from anyone for that matter! By the way, Johannes is working on a terrain editor of some sort on his own it seems. It will be great to see what he comes up with. With his new terrain editor and the procedurals and displacement functions in Carrara 5, we'll have it ALL!...almost. I just hope there will soon be some way to properly and intuitively scale and orient architectural elements (models, entities, group elements and etc.) in relation to each other and to that tiny little workbox in Carrara. Those are the biggest hang-ups for me. For the moment I'm exporting either landscape bitmaps or masssive file size poly models from Carrara back into Cinema 4D to make some architectural scenes. I can do that in many terrain editors, but I'm trying to give Carrara a good go at it. I'd really prefer to render my scenes in C5 Pro. but I can't get my head around trying to assemble them there. wb

Lacathedral ( ) posted Sun, 05 March 2006 at 11:12 PM

You can get rid of the workingbox simply by clicking the icons on the top of the assembly screen, I usually just leave the ground plane on as a single reference point, otherwise it's a bit of an illusion because you can scale up as much as you like just about. Johannes did an awesome job on that tut and it would be cool to see it updated. As for assembly itself in carrara, the more you can model "in place" the better off you are and for architectural stuff well ya, it would be nice to have something similar to "snap to" bounding box to bounding box or something so you could snap a car to a road or snap a dish to a table top etc... And then nudge it with the universal manipulator or something... The Universal manipulator supposedly coming out in C6 will be cool, but it may also be behind to some degree by the time it gets there. Scene management tools will be welcome because it's so easy to build a ton of models in hex and then have to place them with the somewhat dated move tool and collision detection (if you even bother to use it).

woodboat ( ) posted Mon, 06 March 2006 at 7:20 PM

Hi, thank you for the good pointers. wb

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.