Mon, Jul 8, 10:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 7:10 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Please fix the notification ebots...it's worse than spam! :(

-renapd- ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 8:56 AM · edited Mon, 27 May 2024 at 6:29 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I posted this originally in the merchants forum for Clint and he suggested I post here.. don't know about the rest of you but this morning I had a most unpleasant experience in my inbox.. In the past, once you had posted in a forum thread you would get one notification ebot that someone replied and no more till the next time you visited that thread. Now you get one for each time a person replies! I had posted in just a couple of posts last night and this morning my inbox was clogged with the same titled ebot for each single person that had posted in those two! Thank God the threads were not that popular!! If this is a measure to constrain replies on threads it works guys! LOL I know I'll double think before posting again if this persists and notification ebots doesn't turn the good old way it used to be.. one notification on reply..none else till you visit the thread again - definately not one ebot once one replies..it's exhausting to keep deleting messages and clearing up my inbox! I know I can choose the no notification option but that is not helpful if you have posted a question! You need to know if someone has replied instead of visiting over and over the thread to see if that happened and avoid the countless ebots... I'm all in favour for changes for the better but please guys..some things worked just fine the way they were too! So please consider! :) Rena

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]
"Collect moments, not things."

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 9:40 AM

If the e-bot notification can be fixed (it can, every other forum has it right, so did the old forum), another coveted wish will be fixed too: automatically marking a thread as read when it has been viewed. It's the same functionality and requires the same database entries. I suspect that the amount of ebots sent out is putting quite a load on the server. By alleviating that load you may free up the resources to handle the extra database load.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 3:40 PM

I nominate svdl to help with the forum conversion/coding!!!!! Anyone second this nomination? Why can't those who know how to code, code the entries and submit them to the admins for incorporation?!!!! Things would go faster and those behind the scenes who are doing things by trial and error can get the help that they obviously desperately need to get these forums fixed.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SndCastie ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 3:47 PM

I will send this on to the programers to see what can be done

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

SndCastie ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 3:47 PM

I will send this on to the programers to see what can be done

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 3:58 PM

Thanks Acadia! I do know quite a bit about database design and multi tiered design, but I don't know much about PHP. I prefer Java/JSP or ASP.NET 2.0 - clean and efficient object-oriented programming, great facilities for scalable n-tiered applications, no need for extra code to prevent dirty tricks like SQL injection and the like. Heck, one of the ASP.NET 2.0 demos is a fully functional forum!

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Casette ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 4:00 PM

Just the opposite thing than me. I want to receive a mail of each new post like before...

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

Lyne ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 4:05 PM · edited Sat, 08 April 2006 at 4:07 PM

file_337427.jpg

This is an URGENT need, I have the same problem AND look at the horrible LONG subject lines that now take up two line spaces!! You can see the newsletter and the gallery comment subject lines here...and the LONG forum notice subject...why have the astricks??? PLEASE MAKE these things urgent...! HEY! Now no pretty pictures IN the post??? Only a clickable image to go to a second page?? That will be "fun" for the Product Showcase Forum... I hope people KNOW to CLICK TO SEE LARGE VERSION of the image. I am sorry, the forum speed is the SAME slow pace and the look is so ugly and our options are gone. This WAS my main community and has become a very uncomfortble place to be. :(

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 4:21 PM

Quote - "This WAS my main community and has become a very uncomfortble place to be. :("

Yep. I totally agree with that.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

BDC ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 6:57 PM

Yeah it is a big problem, I had 89 spams from this place in my mail today too. I am sure yahoo just loves me for that.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 09 April 2006 at 3:10 PM

I got 22 e-mails today at one time, for the thread about searching for peoples names. :huh:

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 09 April 2006 at 4:07 PM

It'll be nice once the bug gets worked out so I can get notices in "digest mode" or whatever it's called.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Lyne ( ) posted Sun, 09 April 2006 at 5:56 PM

Well I am going around unsubscribing to threads today...only way to deal with this... :(

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

BDC ( ) posted Mon, 10 April 2006 at 2:32 PM · edited Mon, 10 April 2006 at 2:36 PM

I'd just like to ask if there's any progress on fixing the ebots? I don't have any notifications checked in my options at all, and I always uncheck the notify me when someone replies box too. But I am still getting floods of ebot notifications in my email box. Thanks, BDC

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" ~George Orwell

SndCastie ( ) posted Mon, 10 April 2006 at 3:32 PM

check to make sure it says subscribe and not unsubscibe right above this box. And yes they are working on the problem.

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

-renapd- ( ) posted Mon, 10 April 2006 at 3:57 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

That's a great piece of news.. that they're working on it! AI'm looking forward to the day we'll be able to use forums again as we used to! Right now I'm very stingy to where I post..like walking on glass! hehe! Rena

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]
"Collect moments, not things."

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 10 April 2006 at 4:06 PM

I haven't seen any ebots yet. I unchecked all notifications, saved changes, and I always uncheck the "notify" box when posting.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.