Mon, Sep 16, 11:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 5:10 am)

Subject: CF card issues & Nikon Batteries

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2006 at 10:40 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 8:45 PM

Today I talked to the most informative Nikon rep yet to date.
My D200 was not focusing on auto and the apeture kept  going to 0 today while trying to do some shots.
Lucky I was close to the Nikon service centre, and brought it in.
He explaine about the memory cards and how the computer in camera reads them.
If a card is malfunctioning then it won;t send a message back to the computer saying the shot is ok.
He also told me not to use Lexar cards.
 This only happened since buying a Lexar  Pro 2GB
When I use the SanDisk there is no issues.
 Then he explained how to do a check on the card using XP.

Put the card in the card reader, on your PC and right click to properties.
Do a card check there.

Another thing he explained was why I did not get a lot of images out of a battery.
For any of you using a D200...the battery check on the top LCD is not the one to go by.
You use the one in the Menu.
It should be reading 100% if it is a full charge.
Mine was down to  35% at only a few shots.
The left one was at 65%.
Now to get it back to perfect. ..the new batteries have a chip on them.
That has to be reset.
He told me to put it in my D70 and drain it.
Using the slideshow function.
Then fully charge it.
I did that and now they are both 100%. and all reset.

I never did ask him what happens if you do not have a D70 to do this on.
Guess I should go back and clarify that.
This guy was real interesting to talk to,unlike all the other reps.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

nattarious ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 12:08 AM

WOW! that is new info tho..

Oh well.. I heared alot about LEXAR MicroDrives "MEMORY CARDS" people are saying they are the fastest..

But for some reason.. I just don't like it..  And if you noticed Doug.. That the LEXAR max capacity in the Market is only 2GBs!!

I shoot most of my shots in RAW format.. and always on the Highest quality on any of my listed equipments on my page tho..

But guess what! I am using 2x6GBs HITACHI MICRO DRIVES for each camera!! I have 4 Cameras and each has 12GBs of memory cards..

Every one is saying that more capacity lower speed!! But i am shooting full frames continuos shots on any of them.. and it takes 2-3 secs to save them with the highest quality.. and i never lost a single shot.. Unless it was blurry or noisy and that is becasue of me ofcourse and the settings..

So i guess HITACHI are fine tho.. and SanDisk.. is much better then both ofcouse.. But i guess it is the same problem with LEXAR.. Low space "CAPACITY" and i don't think that it can fit my canons!

I really don't even a thing about NIKON and how they work! But all the reviews said that EOS 5D way too much higher quality then the D200! it could be right and it could be wrong.. But i've seen both results and it really seems the Canon's sensors and the processoring methods has much higher technologies.. and that is why they are all expensive :)

And the Nikon Rep. and what he told you about how to check your card.. in fact he is totally right! i always do that from time to another.. and thanks god that it shows all the time 100%..

But here is an advice.. To let you Cards lives longer!! Don't format them too much.. It is like the HDD or FDD "RAM" Read and Write Memory and or media! Just cut and paste or copy to where ever you want and then right click normal delete the folder :)

Wish to see more shots now.. with your new equipments :)

Regards

JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

PeeWee05 ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 1:48 AM

There is a warning issued on the Canon website too about using Lexar CF cards and that they are known trouble starters.

About batteries - I forgot my 350D on over night and the batter hadn't even gone down to a half and I still took 400 shots there after on AF, amazing, I was impressed...

Rights Come With Responsibilities VAMP'hotography Website VAMP'hotography Blog

gradient ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 10:50 AM

Interesting points here Doug...  I too have heard many issues with Lexar, consequently I have only used Sandisk Ultras...no problems so far.

As for draining the battery...don't know why you'd need a D70 to do that....I suppose you could do the same with the D200 in slideshow mode.

Yes, is nice to find a rep that actually IS helpful...

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

danob ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2006 at 3:38 PM

Hmm well at this this guy appeared to know what he was talking about and better still offered a real world solution.. I have had 1 gig lexars 80 speed without any problems but have to admit the sandisk extreme 111 at x133 speed and guaranteed for life is mighty impressive.. I thought the Nikon battery life was supposed to be excellent? I find it best myself  on my Canon to not wait until the batteries are flat but to keep them charged before that happens I have had mine for over 2 years and they remain 100%

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2006 at 2:04 AM

Lexar issued Pro 80x cards with updated firmware last year for the users who had problems, like with Canons. Check the advisory. So you might have one of the faulty ones. Maybe you can get it replaced.

-- erlik

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.