Tue, Oct 22, 6:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT but worth it: War on the Truth?

Mahray ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 6:16 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:28 AM

The Australian commander in East Timor was being interviewed live from Dili by Jessica Rowe of the Today show.  From the newspaper article:

He was pressed by Today host Jessica Rowe about whether Dili was safe as the military claimed.  Pausing briefly, Brig Slater replied: "Jessica, I feel quite safe, yes, but not because I've got these armed soldiers behind me that were put there by your stage manager here to make it look good."

Jessica Rowe was quite speechless for a moment or three.  I'll try to find a recording of the interview (it was played on the radio a fair bit this morning).

Mahray

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

PJF ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 7:45 AM

"You cannot hope to bribe or twist
Thank God the blessed journalist
But seeing what unbribed he'll do
Thank God there is no reason to."

paulbrittgarcia ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 1:58 PM

You mean Jessica didn't have on her full body armor???

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 2:48 PM

I applaud Brig Slater!

But it's nothing new, and just goes to show the lengths to which most (TV) News programs will go to to promote themselves.

EG. How often have you seen a reporter presenting news from in front of a courthouse/scene-of-crime/municiple office etc. and all they do is use the "on-site" location as a backdrop? There's the backdrop, the reporter speaks their news and nothing else happens.

How much does it cost to get that reporter and Outside-Broadcast facility to the site (often complete with catering facilities), set up the OB, check that the communucations are OK and all the rest, just so that a reporter can stand there and deliver a report that could have been done a lot more easily and cheaply from within the broadcasting studio, and without any real loss of impact?

I despair...

OK, if the scene is a long way away, and might last several days, it might be worth the expense. But so often, it's not....

Cheers,
Diolma

(Rant over - you can send the cameras to outside my house to film Diolma not doing anything at all..)

PJF ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 3:56 PM

Quote - But it's nothing new, and just goes to show the lengths to which most (TV) News programs will go to to promote themselves.

Self-promotion isn't the problem; the problem is the promotion of agendas that may be at odds with the truth.

Jessica Rowe and crew went out to East Timor with a story to tell - rather than coming back with a story to tell.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 4:11 PM

sentence first, verdict afterwards - the Red Queen..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xenic101 ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 10:13 PM

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19305001-2,00.html

the link to video is 2 paragraphs down.

Mahray ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 12:27 AM

Thanks Xenic.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

electroglyph ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 7:07 AM

Whenever the local paper can't find a good local murder or robbery to report they borrow one from another state. Do they ever report on how many million people in the same area didn't kill someone?

Don't you know it's a terrible world out there? So behave and follow orders! We'll keep you safe. Just give us enough money to do it with.

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 4:43 PM

"Self-promotion isn't the problem; the problem is the promotion of agendas that may be at odds with the truth.Jessica Rowe and crew went out to East Timor with a story to tell - rather than coming back with a story to tell."

Yup - probably. But I bet it was done in the interest of getting a "story" to tell that would benefit the newsgroup that sent them out there in the 1st place. If that newsgroup has a political agenda, then it's probably because the newsgroup is aimed at a specific political group, and the advertisers that back them. And if the advertisers are satisfied, the the money keeps rolling in, and the profits grow, so the share-holders are satisfied as their stake increases in value.....

That's life sigh.

Never believe anything that's written in newspapers/shown on TV - it's all biased....except for the bits that aren't.

It's trying to tell those who "have an agenda" from those who don't that's the VERY difficult part.

Cheers,
Diolma

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2006 at 12:39 AM · edited Fri, 02 June 2006 at 12:40 AM

The only news stories I every fully believe are those starting with "THIS JUST IN..." Nobody has had a chance to put their spin on it.

BOOMER ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2006 at 1:49 AM

That's absolutely phenomenal.  I just pushed that link along to my best friend who just got back from Iraq.  Got a good laugh out of that one.

As a law enforcement officer, I have seen the news get twisted plenty of times on events that I have been involved in and done the actual reports.  They have a way of telling the story, but taking the events and facts out of sequence to make it sound "juicy:...even on the "THIS JUST IN" stories. 

Because I like to blow $%&# up.

Don't fear the night.  Fear what hunts at night.

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2006 at 7:36 AM

Hey Boomer, long time no see how's tricks?

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.