Mon, Sep 16, 12:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 12:03 am)

Subject: SkinShader WIP

tbird10 ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 12:32 PM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 5:29 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_347786.jpg

Decided to try and get to grips with Python and create a skin shader wacro - some initial work on the shader.

First a default V3 texture with default Poser lighting

tbird10 ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 12:33 PM

file_347787.jpg

My current skin shader - using V3 base texture with some procedural elements - here with a diffuse IBL with AO

tbird10 ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 12:34 PM

file_347788.jpg

Some tweaks to the lighting

tbird10 ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 12:34 PM

file_347789.jpg

Oops - a bit too harsh - some more tweaks

tbird10 ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 12:36 PM

file_347790.jpg

That' s some way towards where I want - here's a close up - the intention is to create and make available a WACRO that will modify any skin material to add my procedural elements and if wanted adjust the lighting.

Probably take me a couple of weeks to do the Python depending on how much time I can spend on it :-)

Starkdog ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 2:32 PM

Holy COw!!!!!

This looks really cool.  In the last pic, I really like the "mottled" effect of the capillaries.  Can you try to add in a vein effect pattern? Thanks, -Starkdog

msg24_7 ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 4:34 PM

The last image is really looking great !

I'd really like to have a look at your shader setup.

Martin

Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present.

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 8:27 PM

i have no idea how python works and i see it you don't want feedback on anything but the skin in relation to the shade or light.

it looks great so far.

from the point of view of light it looks like a bit too much overhead. i have no idea how to solve it though.

billy

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 8:43 PM

is it all shader nodes, or based on a texture?

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

DrMCClark ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 10:17 AM

Go talk to bagginsbill.  He's working on a python-based goodie called "matmatic" that may be a big help.  There's some threads on RDNA's forum that show's off some skin texturing he's done with Jesse.

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 10:40 AM

file_347863.jpg

Hi,

It's a combination of the standard V3 texture map and then a lot of shader nodes to add fastscatter, tweak the specular settings, add some noise and texture (spots etc.)

Tweaking the lighting is fairly easy once the shaders are set up, though there is a large interaction between the correct specular settings in particular and the lighting set up - as I have it here, then yes, it is burned out a little from above. Here is another shot with subtly different lighting

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 10:43 AM

file_347864.jpg

I have played around with visible veins as well, but found that procedural veins tend to look out of place as they aren't were the eye would expect them to be. You could use a vein map, but then that would be character and texture map specific. I will continue to play around and may include them as an option.

Thanks for the suggestions re help with Python, but I shouldn't have a problem, I code software for a living - getting the shader set up right is more of an issue.

Here is an overview of my shader set up as is (without details, it's cluttered enough as is)

DrMCClark ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 11:00 AM

If you're a coder, tbird10, then I'm thinking you want to play with matmatic even more  It lets you write some pretty heinous shader set ups using Python functions.  Some of bagginsbill's example had 47(!) nodes.  I think you'll find it a lot easier to twiddle parameters from a script file rather than track the "clutter" in your Material room ;-)

If you don't mind me asking, is this for an eventual RMP product?  I was curious what parameters you were using, but I didn't know if you had them hidden for a reason.

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 11:26 AM

No, initially it will be a freebie, then as it develops I may consider it for the marketplace if I ever think it offers enough for someone to pay for it.

I just couldn't get a reasonably sized screenshot with everything expanded :-)

I've had a quick look at the RDNA thread - I may drop him a line :-)

DrMCClark ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 11:51 AM

Heh, I thought matmatic might interest you (we programmers have to look out for each other ;-)  The python side's easy for me to grasp, but I'm still trying to get a handle on the "art" of procedural shading.   That's why I was asking about the parameters and if it's not too much a bother, I'd like to know what they are.

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 12:17 PM · edited Mon, 10 July 2006 at 12:19 PM

file_347867.jpg

No problem, here are the shader settings

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 12:21 PM

file_347868.jpg

Umm, still not very clear, but nearly readable :-)

Here is a face close up - I've not worked on the eyes yet, a lighting set up that is good for skin is not so good for eyes.

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 1:03 PM · edited Mon, 10 July 2006 at 1:04 PM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558608486/keindesign-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&adid=00WA1ACA896NPH67CG58&link_code=as1

> Quote - Heh, I thought matmatic might interest you (we programmers have to look out for each other ;-)  The python side's easy for me to grasp, but I'm still trying to get a handle on the "art" of procedural shading.

Not really related to skin shading, but "Texturing and Modeling - a procedural approach" is probably the book for procedurals in general, especially for us programming nerds. See the link.

DrMCClark ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 1:26 PM

Thanks for the rec, stewer.  I'd see it pop up on google searches, but wasn't sure it was worth the price of admission.

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 4:28 PM

One of the main contributers to this book is Ken Musgrave aka Doc Mojo, author of MojoWorld. Some of the chapters could almost be labelled "how to write your own MojoWorld"...lots of info on procedural terrains, clouds or atmospheres (but not only that).

DrMCClark ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 5:06 PM

Cool.  I'm getting tired of watching bagginsbill whip out these crazy-cool textures and me wondering how the hell he did it.  ;-)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 8:47 AM

You guys keep making me laugh. :)

Tbird10 - That looks very good. I'm supposed to be working on some software for work, but now I'm going to study your shader for a while.

The render of her back is much better than of her face. The AO is distracting. It looks like she was sprayed with that graphite lubricant you use to get locks to work better.

You should try Matmatic and Parmatic - if you're good at Python, then you can turn out multiple variations of the shader on the same figure, so you can directly compare a few different settings in the same render. This saves a lot of time on the iterations.

Plus, exchanging shader trees with each other as scripts is much better than screenshots.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

DrMCClark ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 9:23 AM

bagginsbill - We aim to please ;-)

stewer - Book's on order.  It was a real pain to find a used hardcover (tons of new "international" printings, if you don't mind paperbacks with black & white printing instead of color).  Looking forward to reading it.  (Watch out, bagginsbill!  I'll figure this stuff out yet! ;-)

Matt

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 10:39 AM

Bagginsbill - Thanks, I've downloaded the matmatic beta and will give it a try and have a play.

IBL with AO can produce great results for 'body parts' but as you note, it isn't so good for the face. I need to have a play around with the lighting as well.

I'm still playing around with shader formation, I love the Poser node setup - it has the potential to be incredibly powerful.

Going to be busy the rest of this week, so no time to play until the weekend :-(

Happy to collaborate on shader settings/ideas

Tbird10 :-)

DrMCClark ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 10:44 AM

tbird - you might try selectively adding AO in the material room, rather than have it globally cast via lighting.  Face_off has an tutorial and RMP item for adding AO to specific objects, each with their own settings.

Matt

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 12:29 PM

Tbird - I converted your shader to a matmatic script, which let me try thirty or so variations in a short time. You have a lot of nodes in there that aren't doing much, if anything.

Besides the color texture node itself, I've got it down to 4 nodes with no noticeable difference; one each of blender, fastscatter, skin, and spots.

I don't think you're using the fastscatter and skin in a way I've seen before. I'm experimenting with it, but I suspect it will have problems under diverse lighting conditions - it always does.

The shader tends to bloom a bit too much with IBL, but it's really interesting. I'll post more info as I get a better handle on it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

linkdink ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 6:04 PM

Tbird - very nice work! I will be watching your progress carefully - do keep us posted! Thanks.

Gallery

Rance01 ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2006 at 7:33 PM

Thanks for a really good thread.

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.