Sun, Oct 6, 12:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: ART CHARTS OPEN!

williamsn ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:05 AM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 4:36 PM

Enjoy 😄

-Nicholas

ialora ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:37 AM

Enjoy what?  What's an art chart and how do you find it???

Irene-

Giolon ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:45 AM · edited Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:46 AM

Do you people sleep, williamsn?

I just checked it out.  That's certainly some complicated stuff going on there judging by the descriptions for each category.  I like that these charts are based off of the last week rather than all time, since those rarely changed if ever.

My one criticisim is it seems like just a whole lot of text on a page at first.  It's not entirely apparent at first that you're to mouse over the image titles to get a thumbnail.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

ialora ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:56 AM

William probably doesn't, but I do.  I just happen to work shift shift, so I'm usually up until 2 or 3 am PST.

Irene-

Graviton ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 3:44 AM · edited Mon, 10 July 2006 at 3:56 AM

The mouse-over previews are a nice touch.

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 3:47 AM

Woohoo!  Way to go Nic!

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 3:59 AM

This new feature makes sense.  And nice pop-up feature, but the thumbnail takes a little time to download.

Helpful, because noteworthy or special-interest pieces get swept back by the tide of new entries.  I've been surprised at how fast the galleries get new submissions, and often don't get a chance to see what's just been there a day before, without turning several "pages" of the gallery.  That kinda got tiresome after a while.

Good.

Eternal Hobbyist

Doc000 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 7:57 AM

Interesting, but it sort of seems as if the "vote" button has just been replaced by the "add image" button.  I'll wait and see if it's just the same people at the top of the list all the time like it was with the Hot 20.

There does seem to be a flaw in the "Most Credited Merchant" list and how it's calculated.  For example, Baron Vlad no longer sells at Renderosity.  He kept one item in his store, I guess just to maintain the merchant status.  However, none of the items people credit are for sale here, so it sort of seems unfair to the other merchants on the list...being ranked lower than someone no longer here.  There may be other instances like that, but that was the one that jumped out at me.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 8:25 AM · edited Mon, 10 July 2006 at 8:27 AM

Just one thing ... Image, artist, merchant .... and ...and .... who is missing AGAIN!!

HOW about all the good people that provide all the FREESTUFF ?  are they not working hard to create nice things for the artist to use and make great images..

In the description about merchants you make it look like you wanna help the merchants to make better stuff and so give the artist better products to work with ...well BS! you are a commercial site that takes a big heap of the money with each sale...

Thats why you promote merchants not the artistic side...  i realy think its a SHAME that you dump the freebee providers everytime ... no mention in the art chart no option for them to be named in a good way in the gallery's there is NO way to Give credits to freebee providers and i think that stinks.

Dont forget that a REAL big part of the site's popularity is the freebee's here....

But hey who care's ...

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 9:17 AM

I could be wrong, {hey I have been before} but I think the Art Charts are set up for images only, not products from merchants.

Will have to wait and see what Stacey or SndCastie says about the freebie providers, and where they might get more attention 😄

~Jani

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 9:44 AM

have seen the charts ? 3 rows : image, artist, mechant ...... so my repley stays the same...

The top 100 of freebee stuff providers is obsolete ... nobody can top the freestuff from the early days because there was nothing so what was there got 100000 of downloads.....

But today is a total different time ...

I just mention this before you guys metion it as "proof" there is a FS providers list .......

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 9:56 AM

Yes, I have seen the charts lists, but if you hover the mouse over the names, it only mentions images, not products.

A  top freestuff provider list isnt a bad idea I agree, but I dont think it would work in the present Art Charts area...otherwise we would prolly have to open it up for merchants products as well instead of just images....

Again, this is just my opinion however, so lets see what Stac and SndCastie say about maybe getting a top freestuff area ok? 😄

~Jani

Giolon ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 10:36 AM

well, jumpstart, if they'd just ADD freestuff "merchants" to the list of creditable people, or even add a NEW list for crediting freestuff merchants, the top freestuff people could be calculated in the same way as merchants.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 10:56 AM

Well, we do have a top contributors list in the freestuff section, however it  hasn't been converted over yet..I do not know if it will go into the Art Charts once it has been brought over tho, or will go somewhere else. Again, we will have to wait and see.

I'll give them a heads up to this thread 😉

~Jani

williamsn ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 10:58 AM

The Art Charts are a gallery-specific feature and the freestuff is not included in that. However, we will note your request, BAR-CODE, for when we convert freestuff. N

-Nicholas

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 11:00 AM

Ahhh thanks Nic 😉

That was quick LOL

~Jani

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 11:22 AM

The Art Charts are a gallery-specific feature and the freestuff is not included in that....

Thats exactly my point ..only the money pit "merchants" is in there ..

That merchant list has 0,0 % to do with the ARTCHART ...  its just a other way of making people to buy more here at R,O ..so dont make it look like it has ANY artistic Value in the artchart ..

If you dont wanna include the freebee poviders in the artchart fine no problem but take out the merchants list aswell and oterwise be honnest and say " BUY WHAT OTHER ARTIST USED @ R'O MARKETPLACE" ..dont make it something its not....

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

Doc000 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 12:03 PM

Just to clarify my point about the credited merchants list...

Using my example, you'll see that Baron Vlad is ranked #21 (at least it was when last I looked).  That's pretty far up on the list.  But if someone were to click the link to his store, none of the products that people were crediting in their image would be there, since he no longer sells his items at this store. So, wouldn't that be a little unfair to other merchants to be outranked by a non-existent seller? It's also misleading for folks who see a product credited in an image and click on that merchant's store to see the item...only to find that there's nothing there.  Ranking merchants based on credits for items no longer sold here seems kind of pointless to me, since the whole purpose of credits is to encourage people to visit a merchant's store and possibly purchase that item. 

Kinouk ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 1:55 PM

I think I'll just sit back and watch. There is one thing..can each gallery have their own art chart? Most of the big winners are from the poser gallery. Somehow this just doesn't seem fair :)

hugz

Joan

ialora ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:00 PM

I'm still totally lost!  Where are these art charts and what do they do????

Irene-

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:03 PM · edited Mon, 10 July 2006 at 2:04 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/artchart.php

If you are in the galleries ilora, click the ART CHARTS link and you will see them. At the bottom of the page there is a "How it Works' section.

edited to add the link:)

Thanks

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 6:21 PM · edited Mon, 10 July 2006 at 6:25 PM

Quote - I'm still totally lost!  Where are these art charts and what do they do????

This is a modern day version of the now defunct Hot 20, albeit a little more fair.  No longer will you see the rediculous V throughout fractaldom and poserdom,  but you WILL see a mad rush to add images and artists to your favorites.  It'll become an "Add Me to your Favorite Images and Artists and I'll Add You, too!" lottery instead.  Soon you'll see favorite images and artists lists 785 pages long on members' homepages.  The only real improvement is that this rating is site-wide, so hopefully the effect of the "image/artist lottery" will be somewhat dimished, but I doubt it.  I'm not being negative about the gimmick, but I do know how people work.

As entirely useless as I find this feature, I'll probably be more inclined to view it than I ever was the Hot 20.  If you ask me, the only real value is the merchant column, which should be based on sales.

EDIT: Instead of seeing V in all of the comments you'll now be seeing ADD instead - LMAO!

Harmless fun I suppose :)

Kinouk ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 8:58 PM

TerraDreamer I so agree wth you on this:

...........but you WILL see a mad rush to add images and artists to your favorites "SAD" but so true.

hugz

ramhernan ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 9:26 PM

I think that is more emblematic to include a favorite image than a happy vote finger, i dont think that the people can add a huge number of favorite images cause anyone that visit this member homepage would notice that behaivor, and remember how we humans tend to work, the more you can go in stealth mode the more the systems are abused...some % of this "give and take" should be avoided....er.......at least those users make a huge favs clean up in a weekly basis LOL.

Good adition to the site IMHO.

Cheers

Ramón

If it looks as mere real life, then it don't worth the effort.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 9:32 PM

regarding any alleged errors in the credited merchants list, don't quote me on this, but maybe they can get credited even if they don't sell here (e.g. daz and vlad). additionally, 1 request - fix it so everybody gets rated in the viewing totals. I wanna see how far from the bottom I am, and I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same desire :lol:

Doc000 ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2006 at 9:44 PM

Quote - additionally, 1 request - fix it so everybody gets rated in the viewing totals. I wanna see how far from the bottom I am, and I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same desire :lol:

Hell, if you're gonna do the top 50, might as well go whole hog and let everyone see exactly where they rank.  Those kinds of stats could be put on the person's gallery summary page that only they can see.

Kinouk ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 11:00 AM

Is no one commenting on the Art Charts on the Front Page News?

It was posted yesterday and not one ppl has said anything about the charts one way or another.

hugz

Joan

Lyne ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 2:05 PM

I never used the HOT 20....and found this new thing interesting and I am seeing art I would not see otherwise...only problem is when an artist does NOT put the word "nudity" in the title or beginning comments... I got a nasty shock and was grossed out when I clicked to go see the large version of one... :(

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 2:59 PM

I see a potential shortcoming with this system as is, which used to be present with the Hot 20 until I pointed it out and it was resolved. How much of a problem it will be will depend on how many people view the galleries via the Art Charts in comparison to how many people view the galleries via other routes. Here's what might happen:

Member checks out galleries via Art Charts.
Sees a likeable image and adds it (and/or artist) to favourites.
Image (and/or artist) gets another "vote".
Member leaves galleries.

If a large proportion of members view via the Art Charts then the result is that the Art Charts become feedback loops. Popular images in the list get "votes" because they are visible in the list, therefore they stay in the list longer - ready to receive more "votes"...

The funniest example of feedback loop is the "Most Viewed" gallery. The most viewed image ever on Renderosity, by more than 10,000 views, is a fairly mundane "big-boob" example from 1999! It's the most viewed and always will be because, essentially, it's the most viewed.

When I pointed out this feedback aspect of the Hot 20, the system was revised slightly so that the ability to vote for an image wasn't present when an image was viewed via the Hot20. The viewer could still vote, of course, but they had to jump through the (fairly easy) hoop of going to the artist's gallery and voting from there. That gave a buffer to casual voting from the Hot 20 route.

Again, how much of a problem this might be will depend on the popularity of the Art Charts. If most people view the galleries via the regular routes (new, software, genre, etc) then the Art Charts might* be more genuinely representative.

Having said all that, I should point out that this is an entirely academic observation on my part. Personally I am not bothered at all whether the Art Charts are representative, nor whether they are "abused".

*And based on the observation from the Art Charts that hardly anyone is currently bothering to add images to their favourites, my bet is that once the little voting clubs that bothered so many in the Hot 20 cotton on, they will have an absolute field day. Will Fractal Seashell get to Number One? Bravissimo, my mind is blown! ;-)

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2006 at 4:46 AM

I agree with TerraDreamer, I don't actually see a need for any of this stuff, it just winds people up like the Hot 20 did!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

pearce ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2006 at 8:30 AM

PJF's feedback loop observation is valid and should be considered (insofar as any of this really matters greatly). Maybe there should be the opportunity to cast a negative vote; in other words to be able to vote for a pic to go down the list.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2006 at 2:12 PM

it would really bum them out if they started getting negative votes. just look at how bad it is when they get negative comments.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 12:26 PM

Mmmm its working for one week now ?

and allready its out of order .... it is today 15/7/06 and the artcharts are from:

July 3, 2006 through July 9, 2006

What is the point of making this chart if its not up todate ?? non ...

I dont get the pointless useless things that are brought here like there gonna change the whole R'O art community ... Oh boy the artcharts are here wow!!! ...one week later ..out of date ...   

And then while this project is started the galleries and the links in them are not even workinng 100% .... STILL not working 100%

Its such a shame .. the site is going down fast.. or did nobody see's the low amount of uploads the last weeks .... strange things happen log in log out etc etc to get from one server to another... 2 frontpages??  both working half ....  such a shame it is ...

I sayed it before and i say it again if the programmers where on my payroll ... i fired em all.

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 1:15 PM · edited Sat, 15 July 2006 at 1:24 PM

Quote - Mmmm its working for one week now ?

Good observation, my man! 

Quote - ...and allready its out of order .... it is today 15/7/06 and the artcharts are from: July 3, 2006 through July 9, 2006"

And by simple mathematics (I'm certain you have at least seven fingers you can count on) and observation of any available calander at your disposal, that would indicate Monday through Sunday, correct?  Hmmmm...I wonder what Monday will bring? 

Quote - I sayed it before and i say it again if the programmers where on my payroll ... i fired em all.

And replace them with what, idiots who can't grasp a calendar week?

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 2:07 PM

And replace them with what, idiots who can't grasp a calendar week?

At least...

Maar ik zou ut toch effe anders gedaan hebbe ...  ma goed tis mijn site nie he....

C.

Chris

My Free Stuff

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 3:15 PM

"Maar ik zou ut toch effe anders gedaan hebbe ... ma goed tis mijn site nie he" but nonetheless, I 'd have done it differently. just as well it's not my site (yo ho ho). yeah, I woulda done it different too. not sure how, though. to me, these forum and gallery idiosyncracies are minor problems compared to the benefits of freebies, beta testing, links and info, and viewing the galleries. to me, "matters of substance" trump "matters of form" every time. as kung fu tse once said: "when the finger points at the moon, the wise man looks at the moon, not the finger"

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 3:22 PM

You are absolutly right Miss N .. the only thing i find absolutely  crazzy is they start new thing every time and the older thing are not even finished....

And thats a damn shame of such a good site ...

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

ShadowWind ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 6:56 PM

Well it's an interesting concept, except it's heavily weighted toward the Poser gallery, as it seems out of the top 50 images, 40 were poser and the other 10 were divided amongst other software. Perhaps a per software gallery like the Hot20 would help. As to popularity, I agree with the feedback loop theory, but we shall see. I still don't know why this whole "competition" thing has to exist anyway. Giving viewers a random showcase of people's best works would go a long way toward everyone getting exposure fairly.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 1:35 PM

it might be weighted towards poser because giant boobs are not usually rendered by other software users :lol: although sometimes 2D artists will draw 'em :lol: I know when I had websites and was posting toons alot, I was interested in competing with others in the genre to see who could get the most e-mails, views, hits on the site counters, comments, etc. maybe the poser users here are interested in the same thing. it's only human.

TallPockets ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 2:50 AM

ialora quote: Quote - "I'm still totally lost!  Where are these art charts and what do they do????"

IALORA : Hello, kind soul.. It says you are a 'forum coordinator'. Why would you and others in similar positions not already know when a new feature(s) is being instituted and how it/they are to work?

It seems, once again, to paraphrase an old, movie line, "What we have here is a failure to communicate".

It seems similar to past precedences --. "Here's a new feature, dear members. Now, ask us just how it works". WINK.

Just havin' some fun. Nothing personal your way.

My best to you and yours,

From another who is always totally lost .....

TallPockets.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.