Thu, Sep 19, 10:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: July Bryce Challenge Idea. - Lights Camera Action!!

donniemc0 ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 8:48 AM · edited Fri, 06 September 2024 at 8:40 PM

Its easier to enter a challenge than to invent one in my opinion. so with the permission of AS, who i hope will sort out the details, this is my idea for the July Challenge.

Lights Camera Action!!

• A Bryce image inspired by a favourite film.
  • can be any genre of image -character portrait ,landscape, abstract.
  • minimal use of 2D picture objects please.
  • include the reasons behind your image and the film that inspired it.

Let me know what you all think of this idea!

RodsArt ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 8:53 AM

Very cool Idea, what about postwork?

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

donniemc0 ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 9:21 AM

postwork is allowed but should be kept to a minimum. any postwork should be detailed in your image description.

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 9:42 AM

I like this idea.

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 11:08 AM

Cool challenge, haven't done one (or more to the point completed one time) for a while, this sounds fun.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 11:20 AM
Forum Moderator

Very interesting!  (Digs around for his Linda Lovelace pics)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

vangogh ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 11:39 AM

Sounds like a great idea to me! (lets see now....will I be able to create a PeeWee Herman figure by using Mike 3?)

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 9:36 PM

Can we use those things that start with a G the name of which that when sounded out sounds like a stiff old rusty flexible metal rake on a smooth cement driveway on a hot humid summer day?

Just kidding - so many movies so little time !
That last one might be hard to pull off  though I seldom know my reasoning even after the fact - but then that might be a challenge in itself - Good Idea!

Ang25 ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 10:05 PM · edited Fri, 14 July 2006 at 10:06 PM

erhemmm Bryster, you are a naughty boy!

ps sounds like a good challenge!

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 10:22 PM · edited Fri, 14 July 2006 at 10:24 PM

You did say click, right?(my glasses are a little smudged.)

Anruth ( ) posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 12:00 AM

Nice idea. Like it.

Now, which film.... hmmmm....

tomasball ( ) posted Sun, 23 July 2006 at 6:38 PM

file_348940.JPG

I can't help myself.  I didn't make any of these models, they're from an excellent site named strafe.com.  The earth is by LWRedstorm.    I just put them together with a little postwork.  It's just one of my favorite films.

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 23 July 2006 at 8:33 PM

Wait a minute I know this one: Space 1999 ! right? OK how about Fireball XL5? Flash Gordon in the 21st century ? Buck Rogers - the TV series ?  1984 Twenty Years Later?  Adica ? The Adventures of  Bucaroo Bonzai in the Eighth Dimension ? Plan 9 From Outer Space ? Roger Wilco and The Time Rippers? Airplane 2? GoldFinger ?

but surely I gest ! I recognized it right away.  Of course as I learned a while ago something this close to the original might be considered derivitave and no matter how good it is is not likely to get votes (unless you're holding babies for ransom.) or it's all original material.

I duuno maybe sentiments have  changed and I'm talking through my hat. Almost said sediments. If Dr.B heard me talking like that he'd make me take Geology 2 all over again - in Utah!

Anyrate Nice pict,

• TJ. 

Anruth ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 12:28 AM

Hehe...I really have no Idea what movie that is. But the image is pretty nice. If I were to guess I'd say Moonraker.

And personally derivitave or not:  If its one the best it'll get my vote.

I'd rather honor a good copy of a masterpiece,  then give praise to a bad original. - quote by me. :P

tomasball ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:33 AM

file_348990.jpg

Honestly, it didn't occur to me I needed to identify the movie.  As I indicated, it's on topic and pretty, so I posted it, but for as little work as it took I wouldn't vote for it myself compared to one that actually took some modeling.

Anruth ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 12:36 PM

Ahhh...2001. Never really seen and of the movie poster for it or anything. Actually don't think I've ever seen the whole movie. Just bits and pieces.

And point taken. But to play Devil's advocate yet again. (I have to watch myself, it is quite a bit of fun. :P)

Who is the real master? One who can invoke a tree with a brush stroke? Or one who requires a thousand? - Quote by someone else, probably severely reworded by me. :P

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 12:25 AM

Yep!  I named my current computers after ther infamous Hal 9000 in the movie: Hal-two through Hal-six so far; but I figure others might be attuned to different things ergo my last post. I'm in one of those moods - If i can only maintain it long enough to put something together. Perhaps something along the lines of  "Reefer Madness".or "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

Good luck to all and to all a good render !

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 7:39 AM · edited Tue, 25 July 2006 at 7:40 AM
Forum Moderator

Well I can understand some peps scratching their heads if they  ain't seen 2001. However, I have and Tomasball's work was/is instantly recognisable.

This, on the other hand, raises a question. Should model imports be allowed? And if so, how many is too many?

Perhaps this is an option future challenge setters might want to consider. Personnaly, I think that they SHOULD be allowed; after all, we can't all be great modellers..... 

Tomasball's work is impressive, but perhaps too obvious. Maybe in this challenge we ought to be thinking outside the box.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

donniemc0 ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 7:15 AM

i don't see why models shouldn't be allowed, its not a modelling competition, its how you use them.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 4:35 AM

Since this Challenge got a late start, it is going to be the July/August Challenge, with the deadline being August 28th. This should put us back on schedule. ;o)

I also have a partially compiled text list of all the Challenges, and their themes. I'll be putting the page up so you can all see it, and you can help me fill in the blanks, if possible. The list will help members decide on future themes.

The upload area will be up tomorrow, along with the gallery/forum headers all updated and that Challenge Theme list page up.

AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

RodsArt ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 5:23 AM

i don't see why models shouldn't be allowed, its not a modelling competition, its how you use them.

(same with Postwork)....Muhahahahah

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 9:52 AM

Quote - Yep!  I named my current computers after ther infamous Hal 9000 in the movie: Hal-two through Hal-six so far; but I figure others might be attuned to different things ergo my last post. I'm in one of those moods - If i can only maintain it long enough to put something together. Perhaps something along the lines of  "Reefer Madness".or "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

Good luck to all and to all a good render !

OK .... I know this is off topic, but I need to "share."  I went to High School with the guys who wrote, produced, directed, and acted in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes."  They often teased me about my horrible allergy (and resulting aversion) to tomatoes, usually by shouting (at the top of their lungs) that the "killer tomatoes" were coming to get me.  No joke.

Many years later, I called John DeBello (writer, producer, director) and asked him if there could possibly be any connection.  His reply "Could be .... " (insert your favorite WB cartoon character voice here).  He also sent me two lovely posters from films I and II).  The one from the first film is hanging in the media room.

Ricky (allergic to tomatoes) Maveety

Could be worse, could be raining.

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 12:58 PM
Forum Moderator

@tomasball:  You do not need to download an earth model.  You can make one in Bryce with a sphere and an earth map courtesy of NASA.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

tomasball ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 8:19 PM

The thing about the globe I used, is that it provides a separate sphere for the earth's surface, and one for clouds, with a transparency map.  If I remember correctly, I used two Bryce spheres with those maps.

Again, kudos to LWRedstorm

Elfdaughter ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 6:28 AM

Oh dear, I've only got a few days left for this one... Hmm, how can I make a Lord of the Rings themed bryce pic in only a few days...oooh, hang on... I think I have an idea....grins mischeviously

This'll be my first ever contest, but I've just been so ruddy busy lately trying to chase my uni up (long story, but trying to find if they actually have a place for me on my new course) that I've not had much time for any 3d work.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 11:34 PM

Uploaded my entry, but no can see.  I'll also post here...

Nukeboy ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 11:35 PM

Okay, why doesn't my image appear?...

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 9:13 AM
Forum Moderator

What are my chances of getting an extension?

donniemc0 ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 1:20 PM

simply send a large cheque to donniemc0@gimmeyercash.com.

:b_tonguewink:

(i don't know where the entries are appearing.... i can't find them :(  )

Nukeboy ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 7:58 PM

Yippee!!  Looks like I may finally win a contest!  (Only because I seem to be the only entrant).  Click on the Contest link at the top of the page, 'neath the Bryce banner to see it!

donniemc0 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 6:33 AM

there are two entries now! wahaaaaaaay!!!

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 6:31 AM
Forum Moderator

Seems to me that we all need an extension. I've got an entry I'm working on but I need another month to finish it!

Anruth ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 12:24 PM

I hate to be blunt, Bryster. But......

You've got to be kidding me. 2 months, and you need another extension? I'm as busy as the next guy, trust me and managed to pull something together.

The Bryce Challenge isn't only a great way to sharpen skills, but also a get tool to teach the rule of Deadlines and time frames.

If anything the Bryce Challenge needs to be put to tighter sceduling for submission dates, voting, and choosing the next challenge.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 1:19 PM
Forum Moderator

I hate to be blunt, Bryster. But......

Yeh? Well you didn't have to contend with your Sister-in-Law dying suddenly, a rush commision, the search for a missing cat that truned out to be also dead, re-jigging a major family holiday to include the children of said Sister-in-law, the re-mortgaging of your house because the mortgage people screwed it up the first time, personnal medical problems, an epileptic wife who now has Ostioarthritis, a son who's had a nervous breakdown, a senile Mother-in-Law who's about to shuffle off this mortal coil, a screwed-up DVD burner that burns maybe once out of five, a local historic newsletter in two languages, keeping house, paying bills when gas and electricity is going up by maybe 18%, council tax rises, .......................get the picture?

And all I asked was if there was any chance of an extension because I have one on the stove and because there are only two entries so far.........👎 😠

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 6:41 PM

Alright....

Yeah, something has to be done for this months Challenge, because (as stated) as it stands...there are only TWO entries.

I'll put up my Vue 4 as a prize snicker....then we'll probably have NO entries, lol.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 7:14 PM
Forum Moderator

AS: I wasn't kidding.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 7:18 PM

Got mine in the render oven right now - so that'll make three by tomorrow. So at least there will be enough for all the places :-) Anyway the summer months are always slow for these challenges. Best; Dan

Anruth ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 11:18 PM

Okay, get the point Bryster.

Then I'd forgo for this month or so to take care of the "Life" stuff. I'm not trying to be a hard ass, but seems that this challenge thing is always getting "Extensions." or Delayed etc.

Place the dates and let 'em stand. Don't get your entry in. Oh, well. Just do the next months. No worries. It's not like anyone's going to show up to take ya away if you miss one.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2006 at 8:41 PM

Hello?

Challenge?

Where is everyone?  Oh, damn, did I miss the bell again?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2006 at 11:46 PM

If Dan can get the wacky contest page to finally swallow his image we'll go ahead and have a vote, lol.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2006 at 8:08 AM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2663255

My apologizes to everyone on this - I really didn't mean to hold this up. But I'm also not getting the upload dialog box that should be at the bottom of the contest page. Screen cap of what I'm getting is at the link. Best; Dan

Anruth ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 10:27 PM

Okay, Whats going on with the challenge? It's now mid. Sept. We could have been into the Sept. challenge by a week.

This is really unfair to people the work to get their submissions in on time. If  the forum can't keep to any type of  consistency, don't post a challenge.

If it takes 3 months to get a challenge done then give the timeframe as being so. So that we all have the same amount of time to "Tweak" our images.

So anyway now that I've ranted. Whats the "Bleeps" Up?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 1:56 AM

Same thing has happened to other sites and their Challenges, the "summer" months are always slow, most others will shut down the "Challenges" for a couple of months.

Uhm...since there isn't going to be third entry, I guess I'll just have the two entries voted upon?

Btw, I'm not going to have another Challenge start up until October. Most people will be back from vacations, school starts back up, cold weather rolls back in....we'll have more people participating.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 7:29 AM

Not that it matters for this challenge but the challenge upload still isn't working for Mac Safari, PC/Mac Foxfire and PC IE 6 or earlier. Have you mentioned that to the site programmers? If you want, grab my image from the forums http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2773086&ebot_calc_page#message_2773086 and upload it just to make it three. Thanks; Dan

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:44 AM

I'll go ahead and uplaod it for you...it will have my name on it unfortunately, but I'll post everywhere that its yours, lol. This way we can get this voting taken care of and plans for the next Challenges underway.

I'll definitely make sure the PHP guys know about the browser problems that are going on!

dan whiteside ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 1:17 PM

Thanks AS - really appreciate that!

donniemc0 ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 4:02 PM · edited Sun, 17 September 2006 at 4:02 PM

and to think... i thought it was a good challenge that would get a decent response...:(

Nukeboy ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 12:22 AM

Actually, I have so little time to devote to challenges, that I really liked this one. Not the best in the world, but I really liked the theme...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 7:12 AM

Ahhhhh......dangit. I think Dan not being able to see the upload form anymore is kinda my fault.

Kinda....

All the kinks in the new PHP Contest areas are not ironed out as of yet.....apprently.

-When there is a new entry, normally me and Zhann get an ebot telling us to go approve it. That was not implemented yet, so Dan's entry (and a 4th entry) was actually in there, I just didn't know it, as I was basing it all on getting no ebot....

-There is a new option, that I didn't know about. That is to allow or not allow members to upload a 2nd entry. By default it is set to not allow. Well, Dan's entry had made it, so to not allow him to upload again....it removes the upload buttons/fields!

Grrrrrr....

Well...lets have a freaking vote, lol!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.