Fri, Jul 5, 12:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 05 7:45 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Chat room failure

vikinglady ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 11:47 PM · edited Wed, 17 April 2024 at 1:22 PM

Sigh

Any word on when the Chat room is going to be up and running?

It is still offline.  

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 1:13 AM

vike, I reckon they're fixing it, even as we speak. one question, though. something I haven't experienced at other chat rooms. when I've tried the one here, there are usually several people in the list who never say anything. is it me (they all shut up when I enter the room), or are they just shy? :lol:

vikinglady ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 1:27 AM

Miss Nancy,

Someone is always lurking, at work, or in the middle of household chores.   Then there is the whisper conversations going on. :sneaky:   The few times I have 'visually' seen you, was coming back from another window, or the other end of the building.   Not counting the times have scrolled back and missed you, by 3-5 screens of text. :m_letdown: 

See you in chat. 😉

jesserev ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 7:52 AM

shhh.... you're telling our secrets!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 2:16 PM

yeah, that's what i thought. lurkers. we had an IRC chat room associated with an artists' newsgroup, and one guy would always be logged on, but rarely said anything. apparently he would wait a few hours, then save the entire chat room session (copy-n-paste) then go back and see if anybody said anything he didn't like :lol: AFAIK he never logged off, just was permanently lurking. :lol:

drawbridgephoto ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 1:39 PM

Attached Link: Rendergods.com

There's always a lot of lurkers around.    Especially with IRC.  Since you can be logged in the whole time, there's no reason to ever close the programme down.    Over at rendergods.com we have 19 or so people logged on at the moment, but only 5 or 6 are active at the moment.   people come and go.    Some people change  nicknames to show what were doing drawbridgepsleeping or drawbridgepworking.

All are welcome if you ever feel like chatting to like minded people.

Phil

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 1:56 PM

I haven't used IRC in a while, drawbridge. I started using it about 8 years ago, but I've slacked off. can you fill me in on it - just a few questions. 1. is it still possible to transfer large files via most IRC clients? 2. does it still function so that everyone's IP address is visible to everyone else? 3. does it get that thing where the server (or whatever) drops out or disconnects one, meaning one has to connect to another server in the list? 4. are there still ghost rooms (or whatever they called 'em)?

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 2:45 PM
  1. is it still possible to transfer large files via most IRC clients?
    Yep. /dcc-send [username] usually works if your IRC client doesn't have a click-on-name feature for file transfer. You might also have to twiddle with firewall/router for this to work.

2. does it still function so that everyone's IP address is visible to everyone else?
    I believe so. Doesn't seem to be much of a deal though. I suppose it could be if you went to seedier chats and have a lot of ports open or something.

3. does it get that thing where the server (or whatever) drops out or disconnects one, meaning one has to connect to another server in the list?
    A netsplit? Still happens, but is much less common because most IRC servers can handle the load nowadays.

4. are there still ghost rooms (or whatever they called 'em)?
    Ghost room? What's that? All bots? Or is that a room hidden from the list? Either way, I suppose they exist.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 3:01 PM

thanx, paul. ISTR "ghost rooms" were somehow duplicates of a room in use. not sure of the details. but something weird would happen in relation to them. jeez, I also didn't know that robots would be able to enter those IRC channels. the part about the IP address is not a major worry, if everybody knows each other, they're all friends, nobody's a script kiddie. here, you see, they have to hide one's IP address due to privacy concerns, so there's no way for script kiddies to launch a DOS attack on a specific machine of a specific user, if they happen to say something the script kiddie doesn't like :lol: but as you say, in the seedier neighbourhoods of the IRC (rare as they might be), that sort of privacy protection mightn't exist. if a router/firewall is set up right, it's not a concern, but my concern is for those with open machines, new users who might not be set up to avoid port scans and DOS attacks. with OS X it's no big deal, and I believe it will also be automatic with vista.

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 4:35 PM

I can't even get into the chat room here (I'm not worried, just curious about the chat room).
The reason I can't get in is 'cos every time I click on "chat", I get a screen saying I need to load a plugin. (Jigsaw piece, with "click here to get the plugin" underneath).
So I click. And wait, and wait, and wait (and in the status bar it's saying "Waiting for Netscape.whatever)

Using SeaMonkey (new name for Mozilla).

If I need to use IE to use chat, then I'm not going to bother. (IE = Invasion Entrance).

Cheers,
Diolma

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 7:26 PM

I couldn't get their chat room to work with netscape either. mozilla (the godzilla that ate mosaic) is the basis for netscape and many others. it only works for me in exploder and safari. sometimes it's good, but usually they clam up when I log in. I must be some kinda buzzkill or somethin' :lol: maybe I should change my avatar to something kinder and gentler :lol:

diolma ( ) posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 2:16 PM

Thx for the info, Miss Nancy.
Guess I won't be visiting the chat room then, since I'm certainly not going to fire up Internal Exploder just to try out somethng a haven't yet missed:-))

Cheers,
Diolma

vikinglady ( ) posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 2:19 PM

The Chat room here is up and running.  It uses Java.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.