Wed, Sep 18, 6:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:28 pm)

Subject: Sources for animeasurements...???

fuaho ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 3:12 PM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 12:39 AM

Does anyone have any sources for real world metrics of things like Stride Lengths, Speeds/Distances, Heights, Weights, etc. of various people and animals? I've scoured the internet searching everything from Kinematics, Metrics, Muybridge, Animation, Locomotion, Gait, etc., in combination with all the above, etc., etc., etc., and am stunned at the lack of available knowledge about the beings we share the planet with.
After a solid day of searching, I managed to find some parenthetical data about the "Collected" and "Extended" states of dressage horses, some heights of donkeys, from Miniature to Mammoth at the withers and some limited info about wolves and foxes.
Muybridge has pseudo-metrics, if you can see the backgrounds and find the right series, but almost everything I've found has been at a trot or a gallop, or so small as to be useless.
I'm looking for data on simple walks and ambles for various animals.
How long does it take a walking donkey, standard size of about 40 inches at the withers, to walk 22 feet = how many frames of animation?
Or, if I need the animal to cross the frame in 12 seconds, what speed must it walk to cover what distance at what focal length?
I realize that there will be variations and ranges, but there will also be discrete limits. No human has a twenty foot stride length and no Giraffe has a twelve inch/second amble.
Somebody, somewhere, sometime must have put together a reference of stuff like this!
All input cheerfully accepted (except references to dinosaurs...Thank you very much)!!!

<"))%%%<<  

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 4:36 AM · edited Mon, 07 August 2006 at 4:38 AM

That's odd that you couldn't find anything. I hear so many archaeologists say they can tell the height, weight, age, and other things just from the footprints preserved in ancient mud by measuring the prints and the stride length from the distance between prints...

I wish I could help you... maybe looking under something archaeological might help?

I suppose if all else fails then for humans you could try just walking on wet sand and measuring your own prints... and if you have a dog...

I would have thought there'd be a lot of such information on horses, since they were the first creatures to have their gait captured on film all those years ago.  Odd that there isn't.

I'd be interested to know if you ever do find anything on this.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.