Mon, Oct 21, 9:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: V6I displacement mapping

NightVoice ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 11:39 AM · edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 12:21 PM

Hi all.

I'm pretty novice when it comes to this whole displacement mapping thing but from what I have read it sounds cool and it looks great.  My question is, are the actual displacement maps different from the bump maps?  For the bump maps now we have black and white images that decide the high and lows, is that the same for displacement maps?  If I load up an old scene, can I click an option that turns the bump maps into displacement maps and then just render it out with the new look or are all new displacements maps required?  I understand that some maps might need adjustment as they may unintentionally destroy an object visually beyond what I was expecting.  Thanks.

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 11:53 AM

Displacement maps in Vue6 Infinite are an option of the bump area. It means they share the same maps as bumps. If you have a better displacement map than a bump map, you can always turn on displacement and replace your bump map by a displacement map. If you don't have a separate displacement map, you can simply use the bump map to get the effect. All you need to do is increase the depth of your bump map to increase the amplitude of the changes.

attileus ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 12:01 PM

I can hardly wait to see DM in action; I wonder how it will effect my lousy/triangulated terrains. :-)

NightVoice ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 12:19 PM

Awesome, thanks!  I'm so excited about V6i.  When v5i came out I was impressed but not enough to upgrade, but v6i makes we want to upgrade. :)

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 11:35 PM

Attached Link: Ally Cat

Try using displacement mapping on in P6...you can plug almost any texture into the displacement plug, be sure the RENDER SETTINGS are set to USE it and render... very much the same effect as the example at e-on! I love Displacment ! I used it for fake grass... bumping up wood and even fluffing up a sweater on a poser person in P6!  To have the ability in vue is great!

Look in my gallery at my Ally Cat (link here) - I even used a degree of displace on her jeans and jean belt... :)

Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.