Fri, Oct 4, 5:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Question: Is it ethical to...

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 11:39 PM ยท edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 7:57 AM

"hypothetical" ย question:

Is it ethical to take a photograph of a person off the web, let's just say it's someย everyday person, take the photograph into photoshop, make a few small changes to it, pass it through aย filter or two, maybe even add a little hand painting to the photo (emphasis on little), and then pass it off as your original artwork with NO MENTION to the fact it was originally a photograph? In fact saying you painted it? Is this really ethical?

If you take the same circumstances as above except you make it a photograph of a famous person...is it even legal to do this?

I would appreciate people's input on this question

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

SndCastie ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 11:46 PM

No it would be a copyright issue with both

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 11:49 PM

Quote - No it would be a copyright issue with both

okay thanks...will send you a PM in next few minutes

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 12:13 AM

Ok

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 12:14 AM

just sent PM to you...this just seemed really wrong to me...let me know if you need more info

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 12:23 AM

got it sent you a reply :O)

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

lemur01 ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 7:50 AM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww come onnnnnnnnn... you can't bait the hook like that and leave us hanging lol.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 11:11 AM ยท edited Sun, 20 August 2006 at 11:12 AM

lemur01 wrote:

Quote - Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww come onnnnnnnnn... you can't bait the hook like that and leave us hanging lol.

:b_grin: Sorry 'bout that...hehehe...

seriously though, I wasn't sure if what I described above was okay or not...I didn't think it was, but well, so much has changed around here I thought maybe that had changed, too. Once I got the "thumbs down" from an admin, I thought I'd give them a chance to investigate it discretely...

Iย hope the admins will deal with the situation...I am hopeful that they will...but I do plan to monitor this, so you may hear more if it goes unresolved...

:b_lipssealed: ...for now

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 1:30 PM

Hi Cliff-Dweller ๐Ÿ˜„

This has been brought to the attention of the staff and is now being investigated, and will be resolved as soon as possible.. Thanks for your patience ๐Ÿ˜‰

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 3:41 PM

there were a few of those photomanips in the gallery, the last time I checked. I assume the reason they're allowed is that the actual copyright holders are unaware of them, hence they haven't brought it to yer attention. it probably belongs in a copyright forum with an actual copyright lawyer to tell us, but to post such a photomanip, the manipulator would need both a model release from the subject of the photo, as well as copy permission from whomever owns the original photo, IMVHO.

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 5:06 PM

As stated we are in the process of investigating these and will deal with them.

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 8:09 PM

jump & SndCastie...not sure if your comments were directed towards me ๐Ÿ˜Š ย ..but, if they were for me,ย I'm obviously aware that you are investigating this and I have every intention of giving you the time to do so appropriately...don't think I've suggested otherwise.

While any copyright issues are obviously important, my greater concern is frankly that of artistic integrity...if we've lost that, the galleries just become meaningless...

btw, if you weren't talking to me with your posts, then......I'm just waving "hi" :lol:

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 8:35 PM

LoL! Yes, I was just letting you know we were on it now ๐Ÿ˜‰

waves 'Hi' back :lol:

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 9:00 PM

LOL no not directed at you :O) Just letting everyone know we are working on it :O)

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.