Sat, Sep 7, 8:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Spherical Particles Sinking into Plane. (Newbie)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 1:26 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 6:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time Bryce user and a Newbie to Carrara.

I'm working on a scene where I'm droping Spherical Particles ontop of an object and as they bounce off, they land on a small plane and eventualy bounce off the plane and dissapear of the screen.

My Problem is, some of the Spherical Particles that endup on the plane and dont bounce off, spin and Sink into the Plane about half of their size.

I've looked at the Particle Settings, the Plane Settings, looked at the collision detection settings.  I'm not sure where I'm going wrong and how to fix it.

I did a search on Google and the Forums here but didnt turn up anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sun, 20 August 2006 at 2:10 PM

Hi Analog-x, Sounds like a couple of things are going on. First, the spherical particles bounce from their hotpoint (the center) and not their perimeter. So, if there is not enough sideways motion, the particle will stop on the plane with half showing above it and half showing below it. Secondly, you may want to create a gentle slope to your plane so all particles roll off. You can do this by rotating the plane by 1 degree or so, or, create a custom plane in the Vertex Modeler that slopes very gently in four directions. Post back with any questions. Hope this helps. Welcome to Carrara. Mark

craftycurate ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 7:41 PM

Yes, if you sink the hotpoint to the bottom of the sphere it should bounce off without sinking in. same problem occurs with the Surface Replicator - if you have a car replicated on a road object, the cars will sink into the tarmac if the hotpoint is in the centre, which is the default.

Richard

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 8:41 AM

Thanks for the tips I will try this out and report back.

One other thing I was trying to recreate was the multi color effect from Psycho Fountain but yet retain my effect.  I thought it was a simple matter of using the "Gradient" colors in the shader option and that didnt work.  I like the effect going with my particles but yet would like to have the color cycling but cant figure out how it was achieved in the "Psycho Fountain" Preset.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 3:23 PM

You'll need to make sure and use the Particle Shader option in the color channel of the shader tree to link the color gradient to the particle over time. To see how it's done, insert Psycho Fountain again and make sure to import the shader. Then open the shader to see how it's constructed.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 02 September 2006 at 10:25 PM

Quote - Hi Analog-x, Sounds like a couple of things are going on. First, the spherical particles bounce from their hotpoint (the center) and not their perimeter. So, if there is not enough sideways motion, the particle will stop on the plane with half showing above it and half showing below it. Secondly, you may want to create a gentle slope to your plane so all particles roll off. You can do this by rotating the plane by 1 degree or so, or, create a custom plane in the Vertex Modeler that slopes very gently in four directions. Post back with any questions. Hope this helps. Welcome to Carrara. Mark

I've looked at this problem on and off and I'm not sure how to set the hotpoint of the spheres associated with the Particle Generator.  How would I set the hotpoint to the outer permiter of a sphere?

If all else fails I will do a gentle slop on the plane being used.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.