Sun, Oct 6, 10:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: poser question -

johnfields ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 12:54 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 12:06 AM

Ok I think I understand loading files - here's my question - In my Poser directory I have files named Runtime , runtime 2,runtime 3, runtime 4. When i extract say a .cr2 file and load it into the runtime /Geometries/Libraries/Character - how do I know which one? does Poser need to know this or does it break up the files into the different Runtimes automatically? I wonder if I should clean out all the files and delete all the Runtimes except the default one and load everything into that one? Some of the files I load are for Victoria 3 (V3) will poser look for the files that were designed for V3 or do I need to set up a hierachy under a V3 file? I am using Poser 5 on a windows machine. How do morphs work ? do they get laoded as Morphs ? runtimes ? I not too sure on that one. Some of the cool buildings and stuff are .3DS how do I get them into poser and then select them? I downloaded a whole freaking catle - how do I use it ? is it a prop ? a Mesh ? and how do I get it into a scene with my figure?

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 1:10 PM · edited Sun, 17 September 2006 at 1:13 PM

How did you get 4 Runtimes at this stage? And when you say "extract" do you mean "unzip"?

Personally, I love 3DS models. The realism is incredible.

3DS is easy to import.

I don't store mine inside Poser, it's just clutter there. I keep them in a folder in my Pictures folder.

To bring one into Poser, you go to the top left tab "FILE" and go down the drop down menu until you get to one with the word IMPORT. A 2nd drop down menu asks you what kind of file you want to import. Select "3D Studio", then use the brower that pops up to navigate to the file you want(you have to actually click on the 3D file,the folder that holds it won't do.

Another box will come up. This box is for resizing as 3DS figures are very small (that's why the file size is so small). If you don't know what size you want, don't worry about it. You can resize it once it's in Poser.  

Sometimes a box comes up telling you it needs a texture. You just use that browser to go back to the folder you have the 3DS model stored in and select the JPEG with the matching name. If there isn't one, just click cancel. Don't worry, the texture will appear on the model-it's just some kind of glitch.

Really important, Poser can import things that have a file name ending in "3DS", not  ".max". You need another program to convert those first. And I've noticed that alot of the freebie sites tend to lump the 2 together in their item descriptions.

Object files can be brought in the same way. You just pick "Wavefront Object" instead of "3D Studio".

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 1:23 PM

it depends on how the directory structure for that particular file is set up. I've been burned so many times on zip files, I do the whole thing manually (stupid and crazy, but after all, what is a Pakled?..;)

If you open a zip file, and look to the far right of the listings, you'll see the directory structure listed (hopefully..;) This will tell you what the directory names should be. 

there's an accepted hierarchy of where files go. Sometimes people follow this..sometimes not...sigh..;)

DON'T DELETE YOUR RUNTIMES! (If you have to ask the question...;) In fact, don't delete anything you're not sure you need (Poser is notorious on 'dependencies'; all those 'requires Big Weld robot feet, Skyhook skin, and Aiko morphs..;) There are programs out there that can do this for you (is it Pboost, Correct Reference, or something like that...old brain cells don't work any more) If you delete something by accident, you may have to have for another character, etc.

The CR2 files usually have the info for what directories they're looking for different files to be in. They can be looked at, but wait until you get tutorials or have a better understanding, since they're the code for making characters work.

Morphs are variations of a given model or mesh. You add them as 'additional dials' (short and vague answer..;), there's tutorials (Doc Geep's yer one-stop shopping network for tutorials). They're usually a seperate object, and Poser 'morphs' (changes) between the original object, and the one with the changes. Again, check the zip file, and it should point to the right direction.

3ds files are a different form of model or mesh. They can be imported into Poser using File Import. Select 3ds as the format.  Buildings would likely be set up as prompts. Again, the zip file should point to the correct directory.

Hopefullly I pointed you in the right direction. there were a lot of questions in there, but there's a lot of people here who know way more than I do, and will correct the multitudinous mistakes above..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

johnfields ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 1:24 PM

Cool great answer - I did'nt set up the runtimes it just did it - I downloaded a bunch of stuff- but it sure seems to be an awful lot to make 4 runtime folder huh? Any Idea why poser did that - do I have a setting off - bear in mind until I learned I unzipped everything to the C:program files /curious labs /poser 5 destination I'm guessing I have made a hell of a mess in there - is there an easy way to clean it out or maybe I should uninstall/re-install Poser and start again? Thanks for the advice BTW !very clear answer - I'm printing it so I can tape it up by my computer!

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 1:53 PM · edited Sun, 17 September 2006 at 1:55 PM

Poser doesn't "just make" Runtime folders. So you probably have a bunch of mislabels in there. If the packaging isn't labeled exactly the same (spelling,capitalizations) as in Poser, it just sort of dumps out besides the correct folder and sits there.

I have Windows XP, so this is how I would handle it.

Open Poser up in your Program files and look inside the Runtimes. The one you need to keep is the one with Dork and Judy. That's the one that came with Poser. the other 3 should just have a mish'mash of stuff in them.

If so, just click on each of the added ones and drag them out to your desk top. Now, go to one (do this one at at time) and rename each one "Runtime", just like the one you kept in Poser is named. Right click on the renamed folder and send it to "Compressed File" to made a zipped copy. Now extract that zipped copy back into Poser. Go back into the Poser program and check, all the stuff should be properly installed. Then just do the same with the other two runtimes on your desk top.

UMM--you are unzipping the stuff you've been downloading aren't you? No insult meant, just cheking.

johnfields ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 2:55 PM · edited Sun, 17 September 2006 at 2:58 PM

Dork and Judy - Don and Judy? I also have V3 but she works fine!  runtime 3 has a Judy body morph in it - I'll take a shot of my folders when I get home - I'm at work right now . Thanks! and yes -Extracting is unzipping same thing different word- the are no zipped files in my runtimes.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sun, 17 September 2006 at 7:40 PM

Dork is the Poser4 male:)  Which of your runtimes has the poser people and animals in it? They would be in the Character folder inside of libraries.

johnfields ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 6:58 AM

I read up on file extensions and reloaded (manually) and lots of my stuff is there now! yah - thanks so much guys! Some of the stuff was made  a while ago and the path  was Runtime /poser 4/... so it went tand created a poser 4 folder

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 8:54 AM

i would run 2 runtimes, 1 would be the default, or out of the box stuff and the other would be all of your downloaded content (V3, M3).

if something ever goes wrong you will have at least half of itin good shape.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.