Sat, Oct 5, 5:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Making custom textures - help please

IO4 ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 7:32 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 5:29 AM

Hi

I've just made my first texture in Photoshop using the offeset filter and clone tool as I've seen in tutorials (hip hip hoorah! - lol), but when I try to use it for the ground plane I get an obvious repeating pattern of my texture. How do I avoid this without loosing my original texture design (for example as I would do if I used the parametric  mapping mode)?

Any help would be appreciated:)

(I have posted this in the textures forum but it looks really quite in there....)

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 7:57 AM

One of the controls in Materials sets the type of mapping (I think). Lots of times, I see this set to 'Parametric'. There's a lot more options, such as 'world cubic (for Wings models among other things), etc). Don't have Bryce in front of me now, but  the control I mentioned may alter the pattern.

There's other controls to affect the way the pattern gets portrayed in the DTE, but I barely understand it as it is (Deeply Troubling Excersize..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

IO4 ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 7:58 AM

NB - post should read 'random mapping mode', not parametric - oops.

Bryce Arena

IO4 ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 8:01 AM

Thanks for your reply pakled. I've tried all the modes, but I can't get the texure to not have the repeating pattern when applied to the ground plane unless I choose 'random' which alters the original design, which I don't want. Maybe it's just one of the problems you get applying texutures as images as opposed to creating it in the DTE 😕

Bryce Arena

wildman2 ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 11:38 AM

dont use the ground plane use the 2d face obejct (the blue square up top next to the lights)rotate on the x 90 degrees resize to get as large as you need.

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

IO4 ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 12:30 PM

I've just had a go at your suggestion - don't know why I didn't think of that (duh!) - it is definately much much better with some tweaking of the scale and offset controls. Not 100% perfect but definately more useable - thanks very much:)

Bryce Arena

wildman2 ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 12:37 PM

glad I could help

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

Svarg ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 12:55 PM

DTE? The Dang Texture Editor?

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 4:17 PM

Deviously Techincal Enigma, but I already used that a few threads back. Sounds like a plan, I'm trying to make the occasional texture for my Wings UVmapping. Maybe that will help.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Svarg ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 6:51 PM

Devastatingly Traumatic Endevour? (hehe! sorry, couldn't help myself)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 8:29 PM

Tiling image textures....It can be tricky to make one that doesn't have a repeatable pattern that shows up easily. And, usually once you stick it on your infinite plane, and you angle your camera up, you can see that pattern repeating forever, lol.

I'll try to use camera angles that don't see the horizon line (that point more downwards)

Rarely will I use an image texture under 1024x1024, I mostly use 2048x2048, because the bottom of my image will be fairly close to the ground, and I don't want to see pixelation.

After that, it comes down to the pattern of the texture. Image textures that are "equal" in tonality across its surface do better than an image texture that has a dark area somewhere in it, as you will see the repeating of that dark area.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

skiwillgee ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 10:29 PM

I don't know the nature of your texture so this might not help.  Something I've done in the past is enlarging the the original in the paint program by doing this:

Example: If your original texture image is 1000x1000 pixels.  Open a new project at 2000x2000 or larger.  Copy/paste your texture to the new canvas.  By rotating the layers or clone brushing (rubber stamping) along any obvious tiling you can create a much bigger source file for your texture.

But a AS said when you try to use it on an infinite plane, you will usually see the repetitions. 

haloedrain ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 10:56 PM · edited Wed, 11 October 2006 at 11:06 PM

You can remove some of the tiling effect by combining two photos.  Put one in channel A and another in B, then put a procedural in C (one of the cloud-ish ones, usually) then ctrl-click on C next to diffusion, ambience, etc.  Creates a more interesting texture, too.

Edit: Or you could cover the ground with so much stuff that no one can see it anymore, but that approach isn't for everyone ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.