Tue, Oct 8, 6:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 4:32 pm)

Subject: How many of you remember 'EdgeNet' (pre Renderosity) ?

BillyGoat ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 5:55 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 12:48 PM

I know i'm not the only one...  EdgeNet was Poser 3 +  I believe...

I'd love to know who's been here though the years. I was a 'lurker' for many years.

BillyGoat (who's always been BillyGoat)

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 6:02 PM

:)

(used to be wernbowl way back when)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 6:53 PM

I remember what was it PFO? The first thing I can remember here -I think-was some talk of 'Willow' and maybe some kind of controversy/argument - the first of many of course.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 8:28 PM

I was here

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 8:54 PM

willow was the one who started this site. I remember her, but I don't remember edgenet.

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 9:37 PM

Heh, I remember Willow, Grey, AND Edgenet. I was here through so MANY changes.

'Rosity has been here the longest tho.

Greywolf

linkdink ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 1:08 AM

Yes, I remember Willow, Grey, and the "Poser Forum Online" (is that what is was called, can't remember).   I lurked for ages.

Gallery

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 3:04 AM
Site Admin

Oh yes, certainly remember those days!   I do miss some of the regulars from back then although I'm pretty sure they're still here with different nicks :)

Hey am I the only one with the same old nick and the crappy first gallery postings still up??

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 3:42 AM

Can one register here under a new pseudonym, even when browsing from one's same old computer?  Doesn't the forum server record the different addresses?  Is this a walk around in case one finds oneself suddenly banned?
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 4:04 AM

i would presume DP, you can have as many names registered as you want  as long as they're different people. some would prob abuse it but whats the point if you get banned. i remember being banned from a poetry group once and my spouse was still a member. not only did i not rejoin under a new name i would'nt even use hers to take a peek.

billy

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 5:05 AM

Let's just say that one of my recent rendes was pulled because a certain body part was over exposed, and I was issued a STERN warning to behave myself.  It also seems that they are now keeping a file on me to track my future complience.

A simple request to change the render would have been enough, but now there is a file on me.  In light of this, it seems VERY easy to fall afoul of the administration here, and be banned.  As this is the main poser site, I'd find that situation MOST inconvenient.  Therefore, my interest on ways and means of subterfuge and surval here.

Not that I wish to be banned, but witnessing what happened to Mickma, and hearing legends of the notorious Ron Knights, I wished to be prepared.
David P. Hoadley

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 5:55 AM

i'm sure i have a file as well. i hope i do cos if i dont the admin aren't doing their job. i don't want a file but i can understand why we get them. if i fall foul of tos i guess i deserve to be warned. they may not always get it right but thats out of my control. i'm usually one of the first to shout if i think them unfair with others. if it concernes me i'd just go behind the scens and get some discourse going. if that failed and i got banned,  fair enough. i know nothing of those you mention and i'm taking abreak ffrom shouting out. did you know the body part was over exposed, if so you have no recourse. if not then instead of discussing skullduggery  explain you're sorrow at not realizing ypou broke the tos and that you'll endeavor not to do so again. if it works it works and if it doesn't it doesn't

billy

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 6:19 AM

You're right, of course, Billy423uk, but all in all... but skullduggery's just so much more fun. ;-D
David P. Hoadley

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 10:31 AM

***"***Hey am I the only one with the same old nick and the crappy first gallery postings still up??"

I still have the same nick from way back then, but my first gallery postings are long gone.

Tom

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 10:47 AM

not me, I only showed up in Dec, '01. I do remember being able to post 3 piccies per day, for free, tho..;)

If you have the original URL of the site, you can go to the Wayback Machine (do a search), and it may still have some archived versions..I remember the oldest 'rosity one I saw (in a thread) was about '99, and it was a different color..green..but I could be wrong.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 11:46 AM

Yuo can have more than one account here. Several people have one account for chit-chat and another for purchases. Some because they want to be incognito, some because they're using one name in business relations and another just to chat.

I have an extra account here, because I've also registred the TrekkieGrrrl account, mostly to make sure no one else grabbed it and started to pretend they were me (the "joy" of two official nicknames...) I rarely login to the TrekkieGrrrl account though, once every 6 months or so - just to keep it alive. This one is my main one.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

LillianaSapphire ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 12:28 PM

hehe i remember when it was three images a day..... oh how much has changed...i was mushypea back then though lol

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 1:29 PM

Quote - I wished to be prepared.

In my experience, if someone remains reasonable and doesn't go on a rampage of one sort or another: then they are safe here.  But -- unfortunately --  the egos of some simply won't allow them to be civil.  You can have strong opinons here, and you can express them: within the TOS.  The operative phrase being "within the TOS".

As for the galleries: FWIW, my own approach is to avoid any problems by staying away from posting anything that's boderline.  And it's not hard to figure out what "borderline" means in the context of the culture of this board.

Frankly, it's all an attitude thing.  And as I've seen demostrated in practice over and over again -- when it comes to attitude on the personal level, you very much tend to get what you give.  And not just at Renderosity -- and not just in the online forumite world.  Even those whose aggressive attitudes seem to get them somewhere for a time: in my observation -- they always pay for it with misery in the end.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 1:32 PM

I believe that EdgeNet was just a little before my time.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

tastiger ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 3:16 PM

I've still got the same user name from back in the edgenet days.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

raven ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 9:07 PM · edited Mon, 16 October 2006 at 9:10 PM

file_356894.jpg

I was here in the PFO days, same user name, using Poser3, pictures have gone though!

Here's a pic of the old PFO from '99.

BeyondVR ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 12:18 AM

EdgeNet  rings a bell, and of course PFO.  Oh, and I remember Ian.  A bit touchy, but in his defence he was bat-s%*t crazy.

John - Also Class of '99 :)

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 9:52 AM · edited Tue, 17 October 2006 at 9:53 AM

*** "A bit touchy, but in his defence he was bat-s%t crazy"**

Busts out laffin

8 )

Tom

Stormrage ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 12:52 PM

I've been here since Willow and Grey were here.
I started out as Wynterfyre (for a very brief time) but have been Stormrage ever since

tastiger ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 1:24 PM

What would be great is for some of us long standing members to put on a "show" - an image of our work when we first joined and an image now - just to see if all these years since Poser 3 and hanging around this place have changed our style any.......

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

BillyGoat ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 2:02 PM

I think EdgeNet was a neon green sign - or maybe it was leftover from PFO.

I still have that fabulous render by 'RAD' - it was posette and it was Black & White - 'Coquette' if I remember....  i'd include it here, but I don't need any trouble from anyone.

I was lurking at the time 'Law Girl' and 'Law Boy' had just come out.

Geeze i'm old!!!

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 6:22 PM

HappyWorldLand, PoserWorld/FairyWoods, Lannie's 3D Model World - I don't remember if Thralldom was around then or came a bit later. The anti-nude Vicki folks would piss in their pants if they saw Thralldom. Come to think of it, I probably tinkled a bit myself :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 7:07 PM

ah, Lannies' 3d World..that was sucked dry by power downloaders, alas..that one I miss. I was nu-be from late '01 to '03..people said I'd passed my 'use by date' on the name..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Wed, 18 October 2006 at 9:20 PM

Yeah...Those certainly were the days.lol

Other than UseNet,there really were no other sites dedicated to Poser.It's my recollection that PFO was pretty much the first one.

The Online stores were introduced as a way to offset the server cost's and bandwidth to keep the site going as it grew. Back then, there was no store, and folks were more than willing to split the costs of their wares if it meant keeping the site alive.

I'm sure a few with a vision for business realized that there was a potential to make money above and beyond what the server and bandwidth cost's were. as well as a way for artists(Now Vendors) to not only make a few extra bucks, but make a living at it if they were talented enough.

But in the beginning, the store concept was more about making sure the site wouldn't close down due to financial difficulties.

As with pretty much everything else, once money is entered into the equation, everything changes.

And Change it did!

It snowballed,and seemed to take on a life of its own.(Especially once the software developers started seeing the membership numbers growing, and the advertising potential)

To say whether that change was for the better, of for the worse,would likely depend directly on the individual, and perhaps whether he or she is on the receiving end of the money. Some say...That to Not purchase from the store... is to Not support the site. I don't happen to agree with that. After all, by our own particular means, we've all contributed to the site in one way or another.

Helping out in forums, writing tutorials, Offering Free Stuff,(Then called "Fun Stuff" way back when IIRC), Moderating and Coordinating Forums, Writing Reviews, Testing Products, Developing Scripts,Plug-in's, Add-on's and Software,testing the Site's Software, or simply just helping to put out fires,can all be ways of contributing to this site.

But all things considered,I think the introduction of the store,was a good thing,(As well as a necessary thing) for the membership,vendors, as well as the site owners, and software developers. The site owners provide a resource for artists/vendors to sell products that they probably wouldn't have otherwise,and the developers are provided a platform to advertise their products to thousands of like minded hobbyists and professionals.

When S**T hit the fan,and folks started other sites, it managed to create a competitive environment, which was also of good thing.

Although there were some stormy times that followed that. It's good to see, that most of the sites have managed to put aside that old animosity, and now even help watch each-other's backs.(Like pointing out copyright violations they have found out on the web ,or agreeing to not hold the same contests or promotions at the same time,to name just a couple of examples).

To see that these resources not only still exist,but thrive, has been an amazing thing to participate in, and watch unfold over the past several years.

(nearly a decade now)

Everyone can take comfort in the knowledge that they participated, and contributed in one way or another, to make sure these resources are here for the folks who are just now getting into the game.

Even those who came later brought something to the table.

As I said before, it's been an amazing thing to watch happen.

Tom

wayneout ( ) posted Fri, 20 October 2006 at 5:15 AM

Yes, I remember PFO. I am still using the same nickname.
It was really a great place to visit to learn all about Poser.
Edgenet came after Willow left.  There was quite a war back then.
I didn't know anything about what caused it, who was at fault, etc.
Up until then, the Poser Forum was a really happy place. I remember
Traveller being there also.  I learned a lot from PFO and got a bunch of
fun stuff.  People were really patience with you. Or maybe I should say me.

Bill

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Fri, 20 October 2006 at 10:21 AM

"Edgenet came after Willow left.  There was quite a war back then.
I didn't know anything about what caused it, who was at fault, etc."

Yeah...it was a SNAFU for sure, and just about everyone has his (or Her) recollection of what happened, and how it all went down.

I'm sure I could ask 100 people what happened back then,and I'd probably get 101 different versions of how it all unfolded.

I even have my own personal "accurate" version of how the events played out,...lol which I'll try to refrain from disclosing here and now...lol.

But that part of the subject was beaten to death like a red headed stepchild for years,and to rehash it again would probably just be archaic at this point.

What I will say is, although some members got hurt during the debacle and it's aftermath, I  feel it was a necessary episode in this drama, given the conditions that existed at the time.

My Personal feelings of Willow and Grey aside,I too learned a great deal from the PFO. Poser 3 was coming on strong at the time,and trying to get content from Poser to Bryce (Version 4 IIRC) was arduous at best.

But yeah, folks seemed to demonstrate more patience back then, and had the fortitude and commitment to see you through a given task unconditionally.

It was like they really wanted you to "Get IT".

Please don't take that to mean that folks don't do that now. It was just "Different" back then. To execute a task, that today, is handled though better software integration, scripts and plug-in's, had to be done by hand, and typically required lengthy explanations, and/or tutorials.

But as I mentioned, lot's of people got hurt, and it divided the community for a long while. It seemed to be a "If your not with us...than you are against us" mentality for a while ( A Long While For Some),Most folks could not care less about what was happening, but many felt obligated to choose a side, and decide on a place to hang thier loyalty.

I confess that I fell victim to that "Us Against Them" mindset back then, until I realized how senseless it was. We were all just artists and hobbyist's, fumbling along together, trying to learn a relatively new technology to express ourselves through our art.

In the "Big Picture"there was no reason for me to take that attitude. Oh well...Live-n-Learn...ehh?

But Barring all that, I still feel that, although it was a chaotic mess, the change was for the better. All one has to do is look around to see... That many of the sites that branched off because of it...still exist today, and stood the test of time.

Sorry for rambling about this trip down memory lane, but having these free resources remain available, is a topic I still seem to hold passion for evidently.

Tom

Mock ( ) posted Thu, 16 November 2006 at 8:30 AM

Quote - Oh yes, certainly remember those days!   I do miss some of the regulars from back then although I'm pretty sure they're still here with different nicks :)

Hey am I the only one with the same old nick and the crappy first gallery postings still up??

I’m the same as I ever was old gallery postings and all.

I was just thinking about this the other day how many "names" here have come and gone.

I remember Willow and what seemed to be controversy about the site going commercial.

I feel old!

Prikshatk ( ) posted Thu, 16 November 2006 at 8:53 AM

Quote - I started out as Wynterfyre (for a very brief time) but have been Stormrage ever since

Thats globalwarming for you :biggrin:

regards
pk
www.planit3d.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.