Mon, Sep 16, 12:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 12:03 am)

Subject: Poser 7 First impressions

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:20 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 11:25 AM

file_362186.jpg

Not great I'm afraid, it all seems a bit slower than P6 and I'm having no end of problems when the roadster is loaded, I've had multiple lock-ups and crashes and can't render the roadster at higher than draft quality, at any setting higher than draft I get a blank render.

Here are some 'out of the box' renders that I have managed.

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:20 AM

file_362187.jpg

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:21 AM

file_362188.jpg

I'm going to re-install and then go through the manual and try again.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:23 AM

What are your system specs? Without mentioning those, it's not really worth much :o)

Mine is still at the download stage so I havne't tried it yet - I'm hoping it will perform better than P6 (thought that performs reasonably well for me most of the time), since some of the memory-issues should have been solved.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:30 AM

Athlon FX60 with 2Gig of RAM - the main application doesn't appear to be multi-threaded with only 50% (i.e. one core) processor use at max. I haven't checked resource use whilst rendering yet to see if rendering is multi-core.

I'll do this as soon as I've clean installed.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 7:39 AM

NOTE:  If you have a multi core machine, you probably want to adjust General Preferences -> Render -> Render Processes and set it greater than 1.

My Freebies

CauriBlackthorne ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:11 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_362195.jpg

I have no problems so far. Just rendered a scene that Poser 6 refused to render because of lack of memory. Poser 7 did it in about 5 minutes without complaining.

Nothing special:
V4 with high-resolution maps and Kevin by CP. Backdrop by rdna, V4 facemorph by me. Default p6 lightning.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:19 AM

Quote -
Here are some 'out of the box' renders that I have managed.

• looks thoughtfully at pics *

Does P7 have a reflection-catcher option?

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:24 AM

Are there any textures for the new characters? Not finding any just the poses for them. Where would you find the reflection-catcher option?
Thanks,
Marque

CauriBlackthorne ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:30 AM

Marque, you can find the textures in the material-room.

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:34 AM

Thanks checking it out now.

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:35 AM

Can't find any textures in the material room for Sydney, what are they under?

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:36 AM

Sigh need to make coffee now....need to make coffee now...need to make coffee now...

evilded777 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:39 AM

Ok... what about the library enhancements? Isn't there supposed to be some new content management widget?

Am I the only neurotic neat-nik that cares about this?

CauriBlackthorne ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:42 AM

file_362197.jpg

Check out the poser 7 folder, theres a subfolder called sydneyg2, there you will find the textures.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:50 AM

file_362198.jpg

Thanks for the renders.

Wow, that third picture with the nostril glow is so Poser. They didn't do anything smart at all - people are still going to load a figure, push Render and get that sort of thing. No wonder Poser gets no respect in the CG community. After seven iterations, you'd think the lighting model would be just a teensy bit like all the other apps.

I have such a love/hate relationship with Poser. I can easily do the most crazy complicated shaders in Poser with ease. I love the shading model. But the lighting is lame. I hear P7 can do better than P6, but out of the box that looks exactly the same. So far I have not seen a single image from P7 that looks like it is from a modern lighting engine.

Consider this pair of renders (click to see detail). On the left is a P6 render, the result of hours of work in the material room, tweaking lights, and adjusting shadow parameters, plus a good 15 minutes to render.  On the right, I loaded Vicky into Modo, spent about 30 seconds changing a couple specular values, did not adjust the lights at all, and rendered in about 45 seconds.

Sigh.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bluecity ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:51 AM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:52 AM

I've tried it on both my Athlon 64 X2 4600 (2GB RAM, GeForce 6800 256 MB) desktop (running Windows X64) and my Turion MT-40 laptop (2GB RAM, WinXP Pro, Radeon X1600 256 MB) ...so far, I've been pleased with P7 - I haven't noticed a huge speed boost, but it has been able to render some scenes P6 would choke on without a problem and  without needing to decrease the bucket size or lower the quality.

From what I can tell, the multi thread feature is a real mixed blessing...this is not a true multiprocessor renderer (like Carrara), it seems more designed to help with the setup and memory workload rather then the actual rendering...in simple scenes, in fact, having it multithreaded actually seems to slow things down. I'm no expert at this stuff, but I would image the real advantage to enabling multiple threads would be to get around the memory limitation to a single thread in Windows for very complex scenes.

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 9:52 AM

file_362199.jpg

OK, having a little more success now, one of the reasons it seemed so slow was that 'full tracking' is set as a default, switching to 'fast tracking' speeds things up a bit. 

Now I have the render option set to two threads using a separate process and things seem much quicker. The roadster is clearly a highly detailed item though. Loading a saved scene with simply the roadster takes 130 seconds, and this image took 10 minutes to render, with both my Athlon FX60 cores being fully utilised (at 100%) on final settings in firefly.

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:06 AM

The new "content management" can only be accessed if the library palette is undocked... (see the Content Collections tab on top)... You can add any files via right clicking them to the content collections - folders don't seem to work though. But the good news is that it's using regular Windows shortcuts (at least the Windows version ;-)) so one should be able to drop folder shortcuts in there, too, if you feel brave ;-) The multi threaded rendering doesn't seem to be working in a too effective fashion, it's dividing up the image into big blocks first and then rendering each block in a separate thread... So if you're using two threads and one of those threads finished with its part of the image, that thread will idle till the end - so if the top of the image renders in 1 minute and the bottom needs 1 hours you'll have one thread doing nothing for 59 minutes :-(

Klutz ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:11 AM

It seems to be awfully slow at a simple test render. I am really beginner level at this TBH.

I am talking minimalist stuff here, one figure and no props. One that I could do in P6 in about 30seconds seems to bog down and even freeze it.

I have backed off the auto Firefly render to draft quality, but it still seems awfully slow!

Must have some things checked as default that P6 doesn't I suppose?

Anybody else got an issue like this?

( For the record 2 Gig Athlon64 2 Gig memory and 128M GeForce  Graphics. )

Klutz :0/

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:36 AM

I knew the content collections thing sounded too good to be true. Though I still might not use it too much that makes it a non-function to me.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:59 AM
Online Now!

tbird10, is that Sydney in your render?**

The3dZone ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:05 AM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:07 AM

my first p7 render ,using my own contribution to the app ofcoarse...lol
now I jumped from p5 to p7,so my render skills may not be up to par to show any differences
plus I havent figured out how to get all the jaggies out with firefly yet :0(

Funny YouTube video of the week - Bu De Bu Ai

evilded777 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:06 AM

So it sounds like I will still be using PBoost as my content management system; but I'll check it out after I recover from my stupidity at not actually ORDERING my Poser 7 with the coupon I got for getting the Poser 6 upgrade for a friend.  Sometimes, I am my own worst enemy.

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:10 AM

file_362205.jpg

Yep, it's syd, I'm pretty happy now, generally rendering seems much quicker than P6, once I've got my P6 content linked in I'll do some direct comparisons (tomorrow probably).

Here are a few more shots of Syd.

(Oh and I'm using a simple hi-res square with a reflection node for the 'floor')

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:11 AM

file_362206.jpg

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:11 AM

Talk to them they may fix it for you. Seem like pretty nice folks to me.

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:12 AM

file_362207.jpg

Time to start playing seriously now :-)

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:15 AM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:16 AM
Online Now!

So far, I like Sydney better than Jessi.  Jessi has a really inhuman look, and from the promos, I was afraid Sydney would be the same. But I like her proportions.  They look "real" to me - more so than even V4.

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:55 AM

file_362209.jpg

And one of Simon, probably the last of the day for me. I just happen to be off work ill at the moment (no really :-) ) so may have a serious play tomorrow:

metabog ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 12:32 PM

Third10 how do the shoulders and upper arms behaving on those Sydney and Simon figures?
Better than the G2 Males I hope you'll reply? The faces do look really nice!

bevans84 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:06 PM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:07 PM

file_362229.jpg

Here's my first try in P7.  V4 w. hi textures and no makeup, Helena eyes, and a few morphs. Looking at it again, Paradise hair might not have been the best choice for a close-up.

Looks like a drivers license photo. :-)

tastiger ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:11 PM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:13 PM

file_362230.jpg

I'm finding it faster to render, I can use full settings (never able to in P6), even switching between runtimes seems faster.

only regret is the collections directory - only being able to add one item at a time.

I like what I see so far here is a sample done on my AMD 3200+, 2.5 gig ram, 256 ATI graphics.

It's V4, std skin and P7 default HDR lights.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

bigtim ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:15 PM

Has anyone tried the new animation features? I'm drooling over the promised enhancements to the timeline, and waiting for the Mac version...

Silke ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 4:01 PM

That pic of simon (omg those eyes!!!) is atrocious, sorry.

Silke

ceba ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 4:32 PM

file_362242.JPG

Wonderful....

Poser7
Victoria 4 - Daz (few dial tweaks by me)
Ozone Clothing - Daz
Amarsenda Hair - Daz

Dizzi ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:06 PM

Quote - only regret is the collections directory - only being able to add one item at a time.

I guess you wouldn't be too happy when you could add lots of items at once. For the fun of it I exported my Advanced Library setup to the content collections folder. Well... Poser needed minutes to start up. And will always give a "this operation will take several minutes. [cancel] [ok]" message, when changing library categories - well, ok will crash Poser. Cancel will then show that it's the drop down for the collections that takes too long to build. So keeping the collections folder tidy is a good idea if you like Poser starting up fast.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.