Mon, Sep 16, 12:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 12:03 am)

Subject: Poser 7 Crashing

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:04 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 1:11 AM

Anyone else experienced Poser 7 crashing out to the desktop on loading a previously saved scene. I've had this happen with two scenes now, effectively losing all my work. Both feature the roadster which may be the problem :-(

Circumvent ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:07 AM

tbird

I've had several issues with Poser 7 but not yet with it crashing.  I'm sure that's the next thing thats going to happen.  For the first time I'm actually having a memory issue with Poser 7 so I'm using Poser 6 for the time being. 

Adrian

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:12 AM

Quote - Anyone else experienced Poser 7 crashing out to the desktop on loading a previously saved scene. I've had this happen with two scenes now, effectively losing all my work. Both feature the roadster which may be the problem :-(

Do you mean loading in a pz3 file..? If so... I have been getting the same... 

from an earlier post of mine.... 

I HATE*** that... I import a pz3 file made in P6 into P7... all imports fine, except the lights are mega bright... then I go to select a light to lower its intensity and KABLOOIE... P7 doesnt just crash... it vanishes..

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:16 AM

Yep a pz3 file, though created within P7, and yes, during loading the 'application' just vanishes with no error messages.

Specs : Athlon Fx60, 2Gig Ram, ATI X1900XTx, Win XP home

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:21 AM

I'm fine with loading pz3 scenes but every time I attempt to use the P4 render engine, it crashes to desktop. Anyone else had that?

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:13 AM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:22 AM

If you can give some info on the type of scene (objects used and what not), System Specs (OS and Video Card)  or any repeatable steps I can have the QA folks take a look today.  I can tell you that  the first service release is due early next year, most likely January.

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:59 AM

Here's mine, Teyon.
Sydney hi-res with Style 1 hair, the Ultimate with Gen materials.
Ground on.
Hit P4 render, crashed to desktop without error message.
XP Home SP2
NVidia GeForce 4 card.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:10 AM

I'm getting the crash with firefly:

The scene was created in P6:

Winter Queen Jesse, Freak, Anton's Magic and Freaks tarzan tunic.  There are no poser lights in the scene...Anton's magic lights the scene with problight.  All textures have been tweaked or created in the material room including skin.  There are reflections.  I grew hair on the freak.

I finished tweaking the textures in p7 (the gather node was giving jesse acne...had to fix that), moved Anton's magic out of the way  of the freaks head. 

Render settings:  use displacement, raytrace and shadows on.  It crashed on a 64 bucket and a 100 bucket.  I have moved  it to a 50 bucket and it was still rendering when I left this morning.  Size is 2000 x 2041.

I'll say this it's FAST.  It was halfway done by the time it crashed.  Less than two minutes.  the last atempt was at Jesse's eyes and still going with I left....That's almost 3/4 of the way through the image.  And it had only been rendering for three minutes.

P6 was taking 8 hrs to render this scene.

I'm leaving p6 on until the patch for Vue6i, WW and Shade 8.5 pro are available.  but I'm really liking p7...it just needs to finish the render.

Tirjasdyn

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:13 AM

I have had this problem a few times too, once with a very simple scene (one figure and one backdrop prop).  It's not related to the car or anything like that.  Since I've been spending time almost exclusively messing with Victoria 4, the only times I've had the crash/damaged file problem is with V4 loaded in the scene, but that doesn't say anything other than that I really like V4 a lot :)

I sent a zipped copy of a broken scene file to e frontier tech support along with info on the problem, for me it's happened specifically when I get something that makes me want to File Menu -> Revert.

My Freebies

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:17 AM

A scene created in P7 with V4, radiant jaguar hair, V4 boyshorts and sports top, the roadster, roadster light setup and the 'mansion' base and east wall.

I've recreated the scene saving out a new version as each element is introduced to see where (if it does it again) it falls over, though at the moment I'm rendering the completed scene just in case (it's taking a while). I'll post details of 'where' it falls over if it fails again.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 10:32 AM

That would be appreciated. Thanks.

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 11:16 AM

Typical, the identical scene recreated and saved out again now loads back in without problem (apart from taking a while to load) so appears to not be a consistent problem. The original scene still fails to load .

Just had a thought, I'd changed something between re-setting the scene. I'd de-selected 'use external binary morph targets'. Sure enough re-selecting this in general preferences, saving the scene and then re-loading causes the same crash, so it is a problem with 'use external binary morph targets' probably in conjunction with V4 in the scene.

kierab ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 4:21 PM

Me me me!!! I am simply NOT able to open my previous Poser 6 files. I have tried several different ones and after 10 minutes i have forced quit since it was clear to me it wouldn't open - and I am talking SMALL FILES too, with a single character in them, simple stuff. I have also crashed three times this evening on native poser 7 content. AGH!!!! All this waiting, and for what?!

vince3 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:10 PM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:13 PM

this is sounding exactly what happened when P6 first came out, it took until SR2 until P6 was stable/useable, so i was still using P5 till SR2 came out (about 6 months i think) it was that that put me off getting P7 early, sorry you guys are having probs with it.

before the service releases P6 used to crash AND you would lose the Pz3 aswell it would get turned into a 0kb file, grrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........and breathe..and release...(F*** that!! lets smash stuff!!)

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:27 PM

Oh Kiera that's really a bummer :(  You have so much good work, I really hope you find a fix.

My Freebies

kierab ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:29 AM

Thanks, LOL, I think I need the sympathy today. :-) I spent so much time fighting with poser that my daily image will just have to wait - I was simply having too much trouble to get anything accomplished. But the new poser is brand spanking new - I guess it's to be expected... darnit. I am severely annoyed that I cannot seem to open Poser 6 files though, that's just dumb!

Tiny ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 4:51 AM

Also had a crash while rendering low setting Firefly. Memory issue with message first and then crash. It can be reproduced so I can submit the file to tech if it would be of any help.

My scene is only the CP Mammoth which I have "hairyfied" with dynamic hair. After calculating the hair I get the "exploding hair"-effect (an old, known problem with Poser) after that I get the crash/memory issue.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 10:09 AM

hrm...my image crashed again.

I'm thinking it's a texture issue with the texture filtering.  I'll play with the image more tonight and comb through the textures.

Tirjasdyn

DefaultGuy ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:34 PM

Hi Tirjasdyn, In regards to "Render settings: use displacement, raytrace and shadows on. It crashed on a 64 bucket and a 100 bucket. I have moved it to a 50 bucket and it was still rendering when I left this morning. Size is 2000 x 2041." If you are rendering with Separate Process (General Preferences > Render tab) turned on, I am confident that adjusting render settings can help. Please not that when you render in a separate process, the render engine cannot automatically reduce bucket size to counter a low memory situation. Therefore please start with a lower bucket size (8-16) and see if that eliminates the issue. Regards, -Brian

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 4:34 PM

Quote - Hi Tirjasdyn, In regards to "Render settings: use displacement, raytrace and shadows on. It crashed on a 64 bucket and a 100 bucket. I have moved it to a 50 bucket and it was still rendering when I left this morning. Size is 2000 x 2041."

If you are rendering with Separate Process (General Preferences > Render tab) turned on, I am confident that adjusting render settings can help. Please not that when you render in a separate process, the render engine cannot automatically reduce bucket size to counter a low memory situation. Therefore please start with a lower bucket size (8-16) and see if that eliminates the issue. Regards, -Brian

No, I don't have a dual core system. 

But I'm going to turn down to 8-16 to try that.  Also I think I'm going to turn off the shadows option to see what's if that's an issue. 

I still am going to check the textures....suddenly the don't show up in some parts..like jesse's face...but in a plop render it was fine. 

I'll post what happens later tonight after I have time to play some more...

Plus I want to render a red jade dragon.

Tirjasdyn

michaelkahn ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 9:24 PM

Mine crashes if you ok the build a folder menu in the libraries.   I tried to bypass it by using the folders at the top of each category, but this is time consuming.    I guess they still have some bugs to work out

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2006 at 10:08 AM

the bucket down to 8-16 worked really well and it's still super fast.

For those that are still having problems...

Try restarting poser and your computer after a making a change then try to render.  It helps clear the memory.

Also why does poser keep the textures loaded in memory if you've deleted them...after time this slows things down considerably

Tirjasdyn

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.