Sat, Sep 21, 6:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Poser 7 - Resolution (300DPI and Beyond)

skcgirl ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:24 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:02 PM

Hello everyone. I am trying to render a 300dpi still and no matter what I set the resolution to, it always renders to 72dpi. Is anyone else having this problem. I have Poser 6 and there is no problem rendering to specificed resolutions. For example, I can render a 720x486 image with 300dpi resolution for printing. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:44 AM

Actually, what you should do is figure how many inches you're planning to print your render at, then multiply that by 300. Like, if you're planning to do 8x10 inch prints, then you'll have to render at 2400x3000 pixels. 720x486 @ 300dpi is only going to give you a 2.4x1.62 inch print. But changing dpi is pretty easy; just bring your saved render into Photoshop, go to Image > Image Size and deselect resample image, then in the box that's labeled Resolution, erase 72 and replace it with 300 then press OK. I'm sure there's something pretty similar in Paint Shop Pro.
Hope this helps and I hope this clears up any confusion.

eschen ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 1:33 AM

There's indeed a problem with the dpi renderings. Very bad. Also have a look at DAZ forum:

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=49842

Apollo 2007 Freebies Listing, free V4 and Apollo stuff

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 11:25 AM

Yes, there's a problem with the way Poser handles dpi settings but that is still easily resolved by changing the dpi settings in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro and it doesn't change the fact that if you render a small image with a large dpi, you're going to wind up with a correspondingly small print. Frankly, I've never much bothered with setting dpi in either Poser, or Vue (which, btw, if you set to 300dpi, it's still going to save as a 100dpi image). I saved that for when I started postwork. As long as I knew what I wanted the original printed size to be, all I had to do was set my render dimensions for that size in pixels, which is the print size in inches multiplied by the dpi; if you were doing an 8x10inch print, you'd set your render dimensions to 2400x3000 pixels then, bring the results into PS or PSP and change the dpi settings. I know how to do it in Photoshop without having the image resampled but I'm not sure how to do it in PSP.

skcgirl ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:08 PM

Thank you very much for the responses and suggestions. I just found out from eFrontier that it is an internal bug and Poser 7 will not render at higher DPIs than 72. Hope there is a fix soon.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:32 PM

I always render at a DPI of 350 or 400. If I had known that Poser 7 only allows 72, I wouldn't have bought it. 

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 3:16 PM

when I go into PSCS2 and drop the res down it goes to the right size and right dpi... That is what DAZ|Studio did before. what the problem...

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

Curious_Labs ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 4:17 PM

Thanks all for bringing this up, as the interplay between pixels-per-inch, pixel dimensions, and printed resolution (DPI) can be confusing at times. By way of reassurance, we (the e frontier Poser team) are aware of this issue and a fix will be included in our first Poser 7 Service Release, which should be released early in 2007.

For the moment the solution described above by ArdathkSheyna (render to the correct pixel dimensions, export the image, then change resolution in Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, etc.) will allow you to create images at the size and pixel-per-inch settings you need.

The thing to understand is that, when you render an image to a specific pixel dimension (e.g. 1600x1200) then regardless of the pixels-per-inch setting the same number of image pixels are being created- in this case 1,920,000 of them. At 72dpi, that image would be 22.22 by 16.67 inches; at 300dpi, it would be 5.33x4 inches, but there are the same number of image pixels regardless. Print images use a higher pixel density (more pixels per inch) than images displayed on computer monitors, so renders for print should necessarily contain more pixels for the same size in inches, but that's easily managed by rendering to exact pixel dimensions (which is also necessary for animated renders; scaling video down- or worse, scaling it up- can greatly reduce quality.)

Hope this helps!

-- e frontier Tech Support

pruiz ( ) posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 6:50 PM

How can known bugs get into a commercial FCS (first cutomer ship - ie post alpha - post beta)?  This would be a killer in the "commercial" software world ( believe me I know because that's what I do for my day job).

What's worse - and really incredible - are the system and app (P7) crashes going on with P7 and V4. 

I don't even bother to communicate with curious labs/ efrontier ( what is it these days?) because my last 2 requests for help have been totally ignored!

How can a calm company person announce an app  bug release a week after a product launch to fix 'known bugs'?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.