Thu, Sep 19, 5:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: help in the material room

mikachan ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 10:48 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 7:38 AM

hi :D I have a question about the material room.

Basically, what I want is to acheive something similar to the preview window's three-toned toon option. Some way for the toon node to have three colors would be ideal, but I can't find a way to acheive that. My closest is by using the color ramp node, but I'd like to be able to adjust the sharpness between each color like you can with the toon node.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks so so much

Mika :D

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 11:14 PM

Seems likely this would be easy to control by setting the materials for whatever items in the scene to be one of three colors?

My Freebies

mikachan ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 11:18 PM

ummm, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Could you dumb it down a little for me? :biggrin:

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 11:39 PM

E.g. you load a figure, go to Materials Room, select whatever zone like SkinFace, and set it to a flat color instead of a texture?

My Freebies

mikachan ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 12:09 AM

ok, what I've done is to get rid of the texture maps, and to apply a toon node, which gives me two colors, one light color and one shadow color. What I want is 3 or 4 colors to look like the toon colors.

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 1:03 AM

Attached Link: Oliviers toon shaders at RDNA

The toon shaders over at RDNA can do that - so it is possible. I do not know how Olivier has done it, but if you willing to spend money, you can find it there.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

mikachan ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 2:48 PM

hmm. well, thanks. I don't want to put any money into it yet, but I REALLY appreciate the help.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 4:47 PM

Attached Link: Visit the Node Cult at RDNA

file_364565.jpg

This is very easy. If you want to keep using the Toon node for the black lines you can, or you can just skip the toon node.

In any case, plug Diffuse into a Math_function:Floor node. Floor rounds down to the nearest integer. Since Diffuse produces values between 0 and up to 1 generally, taking 4 times that produces a value from 0 up to 4, and then Floor of that rounds it down so you get exactly 0, 1, 2, 3. Then you plug .33 of that into a ColorRamp, and it becomes 0, .33, .66, or 1, thus selecting the exact colors in the parameters of the ColorRamp. No gradient will be produced. And that is all there is to toon shading.

Here at Rendo people like to say you need to buy stuff or it can't be done. You should ask such questions at RDNA - it's a can-do place.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 5:59 PM

Somehow this is not working for me ... I will have to experiment with this some more.

Could be worse, could be raining.

templargfx ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 6:13 PM

Quote -
SNIP

Here at Rendo people like to say you need to buy stuff or it can't be done. You should ask such questions at RDNA - it's a can-do place.

LOL, so true!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 6:44 PM

If it's not working, do a screen shot of your material along with a render next to it like I did. Have some ordinary non-toon object in there too so I can see what your lights are doing. The shader is sensitive to light.

What do you mean by not working? Only one color shows? Or what?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 7:07 PM

I plugged in the nodes as shown, but all I got was white.  As you mentioned, probably something to do with the lights, and as I am new to Poser, the lights still mystify me.

However, I'm in the middle of a modeling project right now, and only popped in to try this as a break.  I will come back to it later and hit you up for information then.  I've printed out the thread and will have it to refer to so I'll know who to post a help note to.

Could be worse, could be raining.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 7:40 PM

see also similar toon materials (freebies here and elsewhere) by trekkie, compiler, crescent, et al. it's not a trivial solution, unfortunately.

mikachan ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 10:10 PM

ooohh! It worked!!!! Thank you so so much. I'm no expert with all those math nodes, I never would have known to use floor. Thanks again!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 05 January 2007 at 6:45 AM

Mikachan - super. Can we see a screen shot of your shader and render?

rickymaveety
If you're getting all white, it's because the light is very strong everywhere so the entire surface is hitting the fourth color level. When working with this type of shader, you really want strong lighting variation so the shader has something to work with.

I suggest you delete or turn off all but one of your lights. Use just a single infinite or spot light at first, and try intensity of 70, 80, 90, and 100 % to see the various results.

You can also quickly adjust the sensitivity of the shader by changing the Diffuse_Value parameter in the Diffuse node. The Diffuse_Value is basically an amplifier of the light, so lowering it will reduce the amplification and allow even a very bright light to produce values below 1.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.