Wed, Sep 18, 11:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Comic Renders In Poser?

majesticacronym ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 10:47 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 11:10 AM

I have Poser 4, 5, 6, & 7 and Paint Shop Pro X.
Is there any way to render "comic" or "cartoon" style images directly out of Poser.
I saw a product at Content Paradise, but it requires each material to be separately adjusted, and that would be a problem with complex scenes.
I saw comic and cartoon actions at this site that require only one click. They are exactly what I need, but they require Photoshop 7 or CS.
Any ideas?

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 11:38 AM

I thought versions 6 and 7 had toon rendering as part of the programme, doesn't that do what you want?

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

jugoth ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 12:32 PM

If you use 6 and 7 sketch either in colour or pencil can do some nice stuff not much, in 7 they have not fixed it and it still wont render any props using transparency.
You need find independant programers on net who do program's that can do comic affect's as the comerical programers not much cop.

bantha ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:30 PM

There is more than one way to make toon style images. The Art Shaders are one of the best. Ockham made a script available in the freestuff here to make "Z-Toons", a kind of flattened normal renders. This is probably the easiest solution.

Cartoon Images is not posers strongest side. You can get good results, but only with fitting materials.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

jefsview ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:41 PM

Download Daz|Studio -- toon shader is built in, no tweaking required! Just click Toon render on the render options! It's fast, easy, and does it very well, thank you!

Oh, and I usually always use Poser 6 or 7. I only use DAZ|Studio now for situations where I need to take something into Bryce or for toon rendering.

-- Jeff

aeilkema ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 3:55 PM

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:00 PM

there's also something at Runtime DNA (have I got that right?) called something like Anime Studio. Might do the trick.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:03 PM

I'm hoping somebody will post some P7 toon renders here. haven't seen any worth mentioning yet.

majesticacronym ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 6:05 PM

Thanks for the help.

majesticacronym ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 6:40 PM

Bantha – I did a search for “Z-Toons” and “ockham” in freestuff, but neither came up.

Jefsview – I imported a single figure into Daz Studio and tried the cartoon render – I got a grey background (which was OK) with a white silhouette of the figure. Tried a different figure and got the same result. What did I do wrong.

Aeilkema – I liked the looks of Olivier's Art Shaders, but it seems that each material has to be separately shaded and for complex scenes that could take hours or days.

jefsview ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 7:00 PM

Dunno. Never had that happen before. Check you camera angle and lighting. You can change the color of the background, using the tab. As far as the silhouette... like I said, never had that happen. 

I know the latest D|S uses needs abit more system requirements than older versions, so check your system by using the pulldown D|S System info. It'll let you know if your computer can use it's built in shaders.

-- Jeff

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 9:21 PM

Olivier's art shaders won't need applying for each figure I don't think if you use a PC, only if you use a mac as there is a freebie that comes with it, or that you candownload somewhere that applies all the materials to everything for you. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 9:23 PM

Pakled, Anime Studio is a 2D animation program from e frontier.

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 9:33 PM

I agree with bantha. The sketch renderer in Poser can work really well for comic renders. Plus, it's really quite flexible.

I personally find the toon render options too limiting. It essentially just adds a pre-mapped simple highlight to the textures. Sure, the results can be quite good sometimes, but other times it doesn't really seem to do much at all. A good example of this is the Steely Glare image in my gallery. This is actually a toon render!

I suppose it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. A clean manga cover-art look, or a scratchy pen and ink inner comic page look...or something in between.

BTW hold shift when you click on the toon button in the material room. This will add the effect to all parts of the selected figure. Unfortunatley I don't believe there is a way to apply this universaly to a scene.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 10:14 PM

I'm sure there is a way to apply olivier's art shaders to the whole scene using the freebie that I mentioned, but I use a mac for poser so I can't say, but I hear the freebie is PC only, and I think it probably comes with the art shaders when you buy them. Love esther

AnAardvark ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 10:04 AM

Attached Link: Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

You can get one a very flat sort of render by lighting the scene using only a single IBL at (for Poser 6/7) about 40-50%. I've linked to an image in my gallery which I used almost entirely IBL (with one infinite light at about 10%, and no AO) for the foreground figures.

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 1:46 PM

Yes, that does look good. Love esther

raven ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:12 PM

file_366488.jpg

This is a render from Poser 7, doable in 6, and I think in 5 too. Once I set up and textured the figure (in this case XinXin) I went into the material room, and selecting the figures and props in turn clicked the 'set up toon render' wacro button whilst holding shift down. This will apply the toon effect to the whole figure/prop at once. I chose no to highlights in the dialog box that then appears. Then in the render settings, I turned off the render outline option, and rendered.  Is this render toon enough? It lets you use textures with the toon effect with very little messing about. It will even respect transparency, and may do reflections too, though I haven't tried that yet. 

jugoth ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 5:33 PM

file_366500.jpg

I used in 6 toon render wacro but it was not that cleaver and found transparent props had problem, in poser 7 have done a toon render better than 6 and had transparency work. Have not checked all transparency prop's but so far 7 work's a treat, so far. check pic have painted her boobs out.

majesticacronym ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 7:16 PM

Thanks to everyone. There is alot to digest.
Raven and Jugoth - your renders are excellent and very close to what I am trying to do.
AnAardvark - thanks for the link. Great stuff. I'll give the lights a try.
I'll power up Poser 7 and see what works for me.
Thanks again.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 9:16 PM · edited Tue, 10 April 2007 at 9:19 PM

I don't think Poser 6 has a "Wacro Toon Render", does it? If so where is it?

EDIT: Just linking this thread to the one I started which lead me here. There are links in it that may be helpful to others who see this thread

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

ratscloset ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 10:24 PM

If you select or set up the Sketch Render in the Window Menu access to Sketch Render and then go and do your Render selecting Sketch, but not changing the selection (it will be Custom) you can use other than the default Sketch Render. They are aware and working on this issue.

ratscloset
aka John

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2007 at 5:57 PM

Duh!  I was looking for this "wacro" thing in the render settings. It turns out it's in the material room and Poser 6 can in fact render cartoons!!!!  Thanks so much Raven for the instructions on how to do this.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.