Wed, Oct 2, 9:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: WIP: Remapping Posette to V3 Skin Textures

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 3:12 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 4:34 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_369958.jpg

I have just started on the very ambitious project of remapping Posette’s texture map to accept V3 Skin textures. It is my hope, that by doing so, maybe she won't be considered so Old Fashioned. This desire grew out of my previously efforts of remapped the Anywoman (Posette with Genitals) hip and genital area to conform to regular Posette skin textures (See lower picture). While I like the results, I think that she'd texture even better and more seamlessly with a V3 style UV.

In the lower half, you can see the fruit of my efforts of the past two weeks, which I spent re-mapping the PosetteWG's (Posette With Genitals) hip and genital. Anybody who's familiar with PosetteWG in either her ‘Anywoman’ version by imagorabbit version, or Arduino's P4WWG version, will recognize immediately how the hip texturing has become smooth and is now unblemished with the unsightly seams that once plagued this figure, and keep it from becoming a true variation of the Posette figure.

This is perhaps my fifth or sixth attempt to re-map PosetteWg's hip, and as all my previous efforts invariably failed because my version of UV Mapper pro just failure tp allow me enough magnification to untangle some of the figures fouled texture areas (Hellborn originally made this hip for the P3 Posette, but when it was cloned into the P4 Posette, some texture areas became rather fouled and over laid by each other.  But after acquiring a newer version of UV Mapper, magnification was no longer aproblem.

It was because of my experience in unraveling and re-mapping PosetteWG that I decided to tackle the even greater challenge of remapping the entire Posette figure so that she can then use V3’s textures.  I figure that with V3’s 'Bear Rug' texture style it both regular Posette, NEA, and PosetteWG will texture better than they do at present (aside from the fact that there are a great many free and commercial V3 textures that would look great on Posette, and that Posette would look great on them. So, therefore my present effort, wish me luck.

Credits: Skin texture is the Posette Brunette by SandTyger.
                Seam Guide by SnowSultan.

Yours truly,
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 3:18 AM

Great work!

FOLLOWING MODE ON

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

momodot ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 9:30 AM

Wow! No sleep for you!  Very cool.

akibabe ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 10:25 AM

oooo cooool! :D:D:D

Channing ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 11:47 AM

This is so ambitious. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to your progress!

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 2:23 PM

file_369997.jpg

Progress is slow, but steady. DPH

Singular3D ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 5:19 PM

Curious how much time it will take. Good luck and great idea.

BillyGoat ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 5:33 PM

I love it!  
Awesome  job...

Xena ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 7:09 PM

Try using a more advanced mapping program, like UVLayout. The beta version is freely available with a 30 day key, which is renewable via contacting the creator (Phil).

UVMapper is a good program, just not the best program to do what you're trying to do.

*maybe she won't be considered so Old Fashioned
*You die-hard fans are enough to keep her here in the present.

You're not still using DOS are you ;P

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 9:56 PM

good luck with the new layout. I hope ya can get the free beta of uvlayout before they start selling it ($250/$350 american). it appears quite good, perhaps better than others like bodypaint or whatever. I dunno if UVMapper Pro can do unwrapping (no OS X version for me to try), which is no big deal, as the latest version of cheetah3d can do it.

tekmonk ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 11:05 PM

If you want a free/inexpensive tool, try Blender which has very nice UV tools, including a pelt mapper that makes it quite easy to layout the UVs like the V3 mesh has. (the bear rug layout)

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 4:10 PM · edited Mon, 26 February 2007 at 4:11 PM

file_370103.jpg

Progress is very slow, literally vertice by vertice, but is still very steady. DPH

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 11:31 PM

Quote - good luck with the new layout. I hope ya can get the free beta of uvlayout before they start selling it ($250/$350 american). it appears quite good, perhaps better than others like bodypaint or whatever. I dunno if UVMapper Pro can do unwrapping (no OS X version for me to try), which is no big deal, as the latest version of cheetah3d can do it.

BodyPaint is Killer,My Fav.

You paint right on the mesh / texture in a 3D invirment.

Never half to worry with UV's Seems.

You can use it as a old fassion 2D maper.

zBrsuh You paint right on the mesh / texture in a 3D invirment.

Never half to worry with UV's Seems.

zBrush does not map with UV's like any other app.

Modo has a bear rug auto unwrapper.

For that V4 map look.

RorrKonn
http://www.atomic-3d.com

RorrKonn
http://www.atomic-3d.com

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 11:49 PM

I tried doing the bear rug in blender with the posette obj file, but it didn't import. I hafta figger out how to import it, but they were helpful with some tips in their forum. modo looks good, but $895 ...... they got a free trial. it's weird, tho. i was doing this fish thing from toucan in carrara, which has a uvmapper editor with u- and v-unwrap, and it did the fish real good, pseudo-cylindrical mapping. i think it could also work with the posette file, but it won't import right into carrara either.

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 5:04 AM · edited Tue, 27 February 2007 at 5:11 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_370139.jpg

*"I hope ya can get the free beta of uvlayout before they start selling it ($250/$350 american). it appears quite good, perhaps better than others like bodypaint or whatever."*

I got the UVLayout, but for now, I prefer not to switch horses in mid-stream (the Devil I know, as opposed to the one I don't), and I've become familiar with UVMapper, -at least to the extent that I'm able to move vertices around fairly well on a flat plane/

If you look closely, you can see that there is a certain order beginning to emerge from the chaos.
Posette's skin texture is the V3 beachbody.jpg by SyydColm.

I would like an honest opinion as to whether Posette looks better with V3 textures that with hier original ones. the true tragedy of this project would be to discover that all my effort is a waste of time.
David P. Hoadley

BillyGoat ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 11:24 AM

It's never a waste of effort - we're all excited to see the new Posey.  She's well worth your efforts.

I wish the Posette I bought from the MP had been grouped to take V2 textures. I tried for weeks to move all the parts to fit the V2 map.  Plus, the Posette clothing didn't fit.

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 12:03 PM

"It's never a waste of effort - we're all excited to see the new Posey"

Thank you for your support BillyGoat
An nteresting note: a friend of mine posted a link to this thread over at Posetteforever, but they deleted it because I'm a Personna Non Grata there (I had the temerity to post my render 'Vitner's Daughter.01' in their gallery). 

So, even thugh their motto is 'Everything Posette,' that doesn't seem to include projects by dphoadley.

I guess I'm still just anaughty boy at heart.
DPH

bnetta ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 12:22 PM

i for one would gladly use posey with v3 textures.
looking good.
netta

www.oodlesdoodles.com

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 12:35 PM

You might be naughty, but a hard worker and dedicated, to boot.. People who are too high-minded are the bane of everyone, so don't let them worry you!  I , for one, am VERY interested in this!  This is the kind of development that will keep her floating around for years!

Keep up the good work!

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 27 February 2007 at 1:16 PM

file_370182.jpg

**Progress Report: **Slow, but steady.  Today I finished joining the two discrete left back textures to the mainf front texture, and I made distinct progress in mapping the lower left leg (circled in red - one vertice at a time).  I reckon that this project will take me from one to two months. Let one and all consider this as my gift to the Poser Community, of which I'm proud to be a memeber.  I'm not sure whether the final figure to distribute as a UVS file, or as a pcf object file.  Any suggestions? DPH

dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 1:56 AM

file_370239.jpg

Here's some tangible progress (Hopefully!).  Around 1:00 AM, I was awake from insomnia (a product from my years as a night security guard), and so fiddled with the head, lips, eyebrow, and eyes texture mapping.  I haven't done any fine-tuning of joining the discrete vertices so that they form a seamless mesh here, but this does give you an idea of what Posette can look like with a V3 head texture. Hopefully, this meets with some approval.

David P. hoadley

Casette ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 2:11 AM

Hey, she looks great !!!  :D

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 3:21 AM

Wow DP! That looks great to me and you've got the patience of Job to be doing this all by yourself! Don't let the PF snobs get to you, there are a lot of us who aren't welcome around their forums. I haven't been banned or anything but I no longer post anything there after they railed on me for making fun of Posey. She's their built in forum AI, who's nonsensical replies to posts there make about as much sense as crome plating on a bulldozer! When they demanded I appologise to their software for making fun of her I just stopped going there.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 3:39 AM

WOW!  GREAT work DP!  Whoa-ho-ho!  I can't wait!  Go,go, GO! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm excited. :lol:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela

bnetta ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 2:19 PM

she looks fantastic!
a usv file should work out.
most of us know how to do the convert.
if ya need hosting let me know
posey is welcomed at my site.
netta

www.oodlesdoodles.com

ikercito ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 6:34 PM

David, that's an amazing work you're doing. After playing so long with V3, i finally dumped her and went back for Posette, she's so much fun! It's a shame she didn't get as much interest as V3 did, but if we get the chance of using V3's textures on her it's going to be great!

Keep up the good work!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 7:36 PM

I think it looks very promising. sorry to hear there's so much negativity involving that PF site. there was a guy many years ago, mazak IIRC, who did a fabulous job on the model as a version of Serpieri's druuna character.

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 2:25 AM

Fantastic work David :)
You're fast becoming a Poser legend !!!

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 5:51 AM

file_370374.jpg

Brows have been smothed (or at least as much as I can do them at the present), lips have been smoothed, lashes transmapped to V3, eyes transmapped to both left and right (seperate materials) to V3.  Posette wearing Marina's FREE V3 Adela Second Skin with Paris hair.  Hopefully, after 30 hours of fiddling (most of it on the DAMN, BLOODY. eyebrows -and I'm still not happy with them, but am at present at a loss on what elese to do with them -best i work on another part of her body for a while), she looks better thatn she did before.  Anyway, she, she's a little bit closer to completion. David P. Hoadley

Channing ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 7:57 AM

Wow. What an undertaking. I think the progress is remarkable. Great job!

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 11:44 AM · edited Thu, 01 March 2007 at 11:52 AM

file_370396.jpg

Here's a screen shot of the Head Map as it stands at present.  The eyebrows were so frustrating, that I loaded my V3 head template on top of an actual texture in Photoshop, and then made a new template, one that would show me both vertices and and material.  I'm now going to tackle the ears. DPH

dphoadley ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 3:29 PM

file_370410.jpg

**Progress Report:** Eyes Remapped sucessfully, with seperate material zones for each eye, both left and right.  And each of the ears have been assigned a  seperate material zone as a preliminary and aid to seperating thier texture from the Posette head texture and moving them to the ear texturing area of the V3 head map.  I colored them a bright green in Poser in order to check that I'd reassigned all the facets correctly befor proceeding (and a good thing I did too, as I discovered that I'd made a couple of mistakes with the right ear, and accidentally assigned a  few facets to the RightButtock instead of the Rightear -but it was a mistake easily enough corrected).

Reassigning facets to different marterial zones as an aid to seperating them from a different marterial and then moving them around is a great way to facillitate the remapping process.
David P. Hoadley
PS: As you can see, I had a little fun with PosetteV3's Left and Right Iris diffuse colors. ;=)

BillyGoat ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 5:38 PM

You are doing incredible work!
I can't imagine the total hours you're putting into this. AND FOR FREE!
If you have a website or have paypal, I would like to contribute $ for all your efforts.
Send me a message if you're interested...

BillyGoat (who has more money than artistic ability!)

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 12:17 AM

file_370444.jpg

Screen shot of remapped ears.

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 1:02 AM

file_370447.jpg

The New Ears of Posette -I find them kinda sexy!

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 8:49 AM

file_370471.jpg

Chaotic Progress continues. DPH

Channing ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 10:58 AM

David, Are you using UV Mapper Classic or Pro for this? How do you select a single vertex to move like this? Again, I'm very impressed with your work, and it's inspiring.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 2:29 AM

Great work, so far!  Keep it up!  I can't wait, this really rocks! ^__^ V,,

dphoadley ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 1:46 PM · edited Sat, 03 March 2007 at 1:47 PM

Quote - David, Are you using UV Mapper Classic or Pro for this? How do you select a single vertex to move like this? Again, I'm very impressed with your work, and it's inspiring.

dphoadley @ channingg
I use UV Mapper Pro, version 3.  I don't move the facets one at a time, what I do is use the select tool, and select sometimes 2-4, and then asign them to a new material of my choosing, and then I hide them.  When I got all the facets I want to select assigned, designated, and hidden, I then select 'All' and hide everything.  Then I select by material, the new material that I designated, and unhide it.  It's then easy to move it about to where I want on the template map witout disturbing any of the other textures and/or facets. 
I hope that you find this enlightening.  UV Dan suggested that I use the lasso tool, but it's operation is still a bit of a mystery to me, while this method, while probably slower, seems to me to be a bit safer too, allowing me to exercise a lot more control over the individual facets.
David P. Hoadley

dphoadley ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 1:50 PM

Quote - Great work, so far!  Keep it up!  I can't wait, this really rocks! ^__^ V,,

dphoadley @ JOELGLAINE
Thank you so much for your continuing support.  I can't begin to describe how good your kind and warm words make me feel!
David P. Hoadley

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 3:39 PM

You're doing the heavy-lifting, I'm just cheering you on.  This is one one of those "OMG! DUH!" kind of idea whose time is long in coming and so simple to think of.  

Simple to think of and difficult to implement without hard work and some skill.  I think this will be of GREAT value to the whole of Poserdom, and not just to some that have been using Posette in the past.  Posette is lighter than even RRV3 in poly count.  A figure that can use unimesh textures, AND you can have 7 for every one of V3 makes crowd scenes more possible with a higher resolution!

Why shouldn't I cheer?  LOL  I'm just surprised more people haven't thought of this!

Channing ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 4:06 PM

Thank you David. I have put off buying UV Mapper Pro, but in case I ever did so, this information is very useful.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 4:29 PM

I'd probably give Posette a try if I could use V3 textures on her. TBH I've never worked with the default Poser figures because you have to morph them yourself and use the face room for their faces and stuff and I'm not very good at that stuff. V3 is instant gratification....basically "Make Art",  😉

I look forward to trying this when it's done.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

dphoadley ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 4:51 PM · edited Sat, 03 March 2007 at 4:55 PM

dphoadley @ Acadia
The NEAena version of Posette comes with a whole slew of default face morphs that are reminiscent of and even superior to V3's Daz injection morphs.  As for 3rd party injection morphs, I can't say for sure, but I've accumulated over the past two years some 400-500 Posette face morphs from such disparate sources as Bushi and Traveler that I can't imagine any face that I couldn't copy (more or less) using Posette.
David P. Hoadley

ghoyle1 ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2007 at 2:59 PM

I thought I'd point out Dodger's Posette 3, if you haven't seen it already :
http://poserpros.daz3d.com/store/viewitem.php?selitem=4720&start=0&selcat=0&selsub=0

It's an Aeon Mil3-compatible figure with the proportions of the original Posette, able to take on Unimesh morphs and textures.

Guy

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2007 at 5:19 PM

Posette 3 is a rebuilt reduced resolution V3, using (I think) the V2toP4 figure.  It's NOT the P4 Nude Woman--it just uses the same bones, different mesh. The P4 bones are open source or free for public use or some such.

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2007 at 7:11 PM · edited Sun, 04 March 2007 at 7:12 PM

It's also not for FREE!
DPH
PS: Nor can you use any of the Posette morphs on it.

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2007 at 7:32 PM

file_370664.jpg

**Progress Report**: Head three-quarters remapped!  Progress is chaotic and slow, but still daily steady.  Soon I'll rempa the teeth and tongue and innermouth.  It's teh feet that kinda scare me though. DPH

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2007 at 7:37 PM

I've discovered an interesting method for achieving symetry.  Map half the head, make a screen shot, and then open Photoshop.  Paste the screenshot in a new file, crop as desired and thne flip it horizontally.  That way I have a template for the other half.
DPH

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2007 at 10:17 AM
Forum Moderator

Congratulations to a man with much patience!!!  You will have quite the prize when you finish with your posette puzzle project.  Although you thread is not exactly a tut, I think I should link it in with the tuts because it is so informative.  Of course I am speaking of the thread in the UV Mapper Forum.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2007 at 11:12 AM

Wow!!!!!!!!

This is amazing!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.