Sun, Oct 6, 5:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: Mud Box

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 3:37 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 2:05 AM

I downloaded MudBox and started yesterday my 15 days...   Has anyone got anywhere with it... 

I manage to do some very crude deformations...  I tried the (soft) and (softb) brushes and I only manage to distort surfaces and not get that smooth uplifted lines...  I got the (size) and (strength) to a low setting but the  distortions are huge and not uniformed....   Am also working with the size of the object to see if that was the problem... 

I want to make a smooth surface into a small uniformed bumped surface...  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 4:13 PM

hmmmm, MudBox, never heard of it, sounds very interesting.....where'd you get it?

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 4:32 PM

There's an article or something about mudbox in 3d world magazine.... I have no clue about what it does except something about virtual sculpting.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 4:58 PM

tom271, There are some mudbox users that visit the 3d modeling forum here. You could probably get some answers if you posted there.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 6:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.mudbox3d.com/

If you never heard of it check it out.....  it is a little expensive but extremely interesting....

dvlenk6: yes am on my way there.....   thanks...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 7:56 PM

Basically, here's what happened.

Weta (who did cgi for Lord of The Rings), used ZBrush. Some employees loved the amazing stuff ZBrush could do, but they hated the GUI.

So they created Mudbox. ZBrush with a traditional GUI. That's about it.

Mudbox $650

ZBrush $489

And, Zbrush 3.0 will be out May 15th, and will proceed to kick major A$$!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2007 at 9:49 PM

okay..   I really did not know MudBox was Zbrush in disguise.....     In that case if I'm intending to purchase I'll wait for May...   But in the interim I wanted to take my free MB for a ride...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 12:01 AM

I would say Mudbox and ZBrush (3.0)  are fairly neck and neck. But, it comes down to what GUI you can work well with.

ZBrush is in the majority as far as what the film industry uses, but Mudbox is showing up here and there.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 2:40 AM

Mudbox is pretty new to the scene, it's only just been outta beta for a little while. I'm guessing we'll see more of it in the future :-) Dunno if its on par with Zbrush 3 yet, Zbrush3 does have some awesome features from what i've seen in the trailer vid... We'll have to wait and see i guess!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 2:44 AM

On the mudbox site, i read it says mudbox handles up to 100 million poly's easily. Didn't the makers of zbrush say Zbrush3 was capable of handling billions of poly's? I wonder if that means zbrush can handle heavier models...

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 2:49 AM

ZBrush 3.0 = 1Billion Polygons.

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 2:02 AM

Mudbox!!!!!!! Kiwi's eh ya gotta luv us.

Mud in yer face
Cheers
GG  

WHO said Kiwi's can't Fly ?????

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 7:06 PM

Quote - ZBrush 3.0 = 1Billion Polygons.

There ya go! Now if they give bryce7 the same FG solution they used on pirates of the caribean 2 and direct Zbrush normal map import... we could make killer stuff with killer lighting! :-D

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 7:42 PM

Mmmmmm....final gathering.....yummy stuff.

I had attended a Gnomon (school of visual effects) outhere in Hollywood, and some guys from ILM showed how they used ZBrush to add all the ridiculous detail to all the creature pirates from part 2.

So, I agree, I would kill for Bryce 7 to have either normal or dislpacement map support, or both!

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 1:48 PM

The yummiest thing is that they re-developed an enhanced FG technology during the production of pirates of the caribean which allows for much faster calculation of FG points as well as give u an extra bounce of indirect light for free! Generally this would mean TA-like effects but at way lower rendertimes then we're used to!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 3:24 PM · edited Sun, 01 April 2007 at 3:25 PM

file_373607.jpg

Here is what I been up to with MudBox.... Bryce and Rhino

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 6:38 PM
Forum Moderator

**Very nice Tom.  Way to go! **

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.