Thu, Oct 3, 12:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: How do you model Figures and props?

haegerst ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 12:50 PM · edited Mon, 15 July 2024 at 4:01 AM

I know this is a stupid noob question, but i really want to know how the Pros make poser models - figures and props.

I am dangerous enough to get most clothing and hair conformed to figures, which took me quite a while to learn. ^_^

Now I would like to know how the real pros make characters, clothing and props.

As far as i understand Poser you can not model stuff in poser, you import meshes made with other 3D programs, right? At least i havent found the secret "model" button in Poser (Still using Poser 5 though).

So how are these made? How did they make these great models like Victoria, Michael and so?
 Are these modeled in 3D Studio max or maya, then imported to poser? Do people make these from scratch or do you start with the P4 skeleton or so?

Even if i import an object into poser i dont know how to tell poser like "This is the head, this the neck" and so on.

How do you make a model like a knights armour as clothing? Or just a simple T-Shirt?

I have found many tutorials but only about topics i wasn't really looking for, like how to pose a char, how to edit face expressions and so on.

Maybe someone can tell me how the good models are made, or is it a secret? And if some exist, then please recommend some tutorials. I reaqlly wanna know if i got what it takes to make some really neat Poser props (Figures will probably be too hard to do i guess).

If i get something nice done, I will post some freebies. ^_^   Thanks in advance if you can give a reply to any of my many questions!!!

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 1:00 PM · edited Thu, 24 May 2007 at 1:01 PM

file_378420.jpg

This is the only program I know about... I use it to make props but there is a set-up to make jointed figures as well (never used it though.) Its Spazz3D which I export to VRML then import into a program called Flux (which is free) and then export again as .3ds

Here's a screenshot of the figure design tool it has, dunno if it'll help you but its what I know...

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 1:09 PM

The Daz figures were modelled in Lightwave.  Many use Wings 3d the free app to make Poser clothing.  Zbrush is excellent software for making morphs.

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 1:18 PM

I use Box Modeling and Surface Subdivision methods in an application called Truespace to create my Poser figures.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 1:34 PM

Silo is another good modelling program and is very inexpensive. It also uses box modelling and surface subdivision. I switched from Wings 3D to silo and really love it.

My Facebook Page

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 7:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.wings3d.com

traitor..;) Actually, should you want to try Wings, there's a tutorial by Quinlor that explains it from object file to poseable figure (if I could only follow directions..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 8:44 PM · edited Thu, 24 May 2007 at 8:44 PM

Quote - traitor..;) Actually, should you want to try Wings, there's a tutorial by Quinlor that explains it from object file to poseable figure (if I could only follow directions..;)

LOL! Well maybe if wings and Nvidia got together to fix the 9X.XX driver problems I'd still be a wings man.

My Facebook Page

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 11:46 PM

Quote - I use Box Modeling and Surface Subdivision methods in an application called Truespace to create my Poser figures.

I use exactly the same techniques, but in MilkShape instead of Truespace.  Created these jeans the other day:

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 11:49 PM

I use Box Modeling and Surface Subdivision methods in an application called Truespace to create my Poser figures*.

I use exactly the same techniques, but in* MilkShape *instead of Truespace.  
*Same here, except instead of Truespace or MilkShape, I use Hexagon and 3D Studio Max.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Anasta ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 1:20 AM

Attached Link: Flux Studio 2.0

OK so I checked and you can't get Spazz anymore but I do have the link for Flux which is the free version.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 7:26 AM

Attached Link: http://www.blender.org

sigh...was gonna check spazz out...ah well..;) @Phil - I knew your stuff was amazing before, but the fact that you (or *anyone)* can do anything controlled with Truespace is more amazing still...;) I thought it was convoluted, until I met Blender..;) Blender is the Swiss Army Knife of 3d modelers/animators/texturers/renderers/youname it..;) but Blender, and early versions of Truespace, are both free..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 3:30 PM

Just want to jump in here on a couple of things that sometimes get forgotten. First off, as Doctor Geep will be glad to illustrate, you can model certain classes of objects with nothing but Poser itself. Between Poser primitives, magnets, the Grouping Tool, and of course Dynamic Cloth, there is a surprising amount you can do within Poser itself. In fact, you can do more in Poser today than you can do in the first 3d application I ever owned (RenderBoy, if you must know!) Second, although there are a number of methods to rig a figure (or install a prop) in to Poser, and a great many wonderful tools out there that streamline the process, it can be done with nothing but, again, Poser -- and a basic text editor (like WordPad, or whatever that thing is you Windows users get bundled with the OS; Mac equivalent is TextEdit.) Since Wings3d is free, and you already have Poser and a text editor, having the programs to do the task is not a barrier. What is the barrier, is understanding the underlying concepts of the Poserverse; how object geometry (aka the .obj) is referenced by Poser's markup files (aka the .cr2 and .pp2 and all that) to form the final thing you see in the posing window. The basics are simple, fortunately. The complexities, on the other hand, can fill a thread and then some.

mertext ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 7:07 PM

Quote - I use Box Modeling and Surface Subdivision methods in an application called Truespace to create my Poser figures.

I use exactly the same techniques, but in* MilkShape *instead of Truespace.  *Same here, except instead of Truespace or MilkShape, I use Hexagon and 3D Studio Max. 

DITTO  for Max,

aka MCDLabs
also known as Daniel Merrill a grumpy old disabled Jarhead.
checkout my freebies at
https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=mcdlabs

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 7:13 PM

I'm also a box modeler, but mostly in Carrara. For some items I start with more of a basic spline shape, but subdivision is an integral part of the method in any case.

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 10:57 PM

In addition to a text editor (I use Textpad), a dedicated Poser file editor can be quite an asset. I use CR2Builder by kim99 http://www.geocities.co.jp/Bookend-Ohgai/9483/tool/index_e.html

A dedicated Poser file editor is more user friendly when it comes to finding and editing specific sections, for instance when you want to strip out redundant materials or bones.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 2:52 AM

Meshes are modeled in any main 3D App.

There is a verity of them.

99% of them use polygon modeling.

some have splines nurbs also but polygon modeling is what most use.

I think DAZ went to Modo so V4 was made in Modo.

Part of LW split off and made Modo.

You can tell V4 was not made with LW cause when they sub divided the mesh the Triangles where turned in to quads.

it is easy to model characters the hard part is getting them to bend correctly.

To get Poser to recognize a face, neck You divide the mesh up in to groups face group, neck group.

Cloth also.

What do we need this or note pad for ?

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Bookend-Ohgai/9483/tool/index_e.html

How do you make INJ,Mats ?

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

kawecki ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 3:49 AM

I started modeling with Poser and a text editor and still today Poser is my main platform with the help of a program done by myself.
In third place comes Rhino 2 for creating some shapes and parts and in the fourth place is 3dsMax 3 used in a stupid way (I need a cylinder with 40 sides, I go to 3dsMax...)
Another tool that I can use is UVMapper, but today its use is almost replaced by my software.

Stupidity also evolves!

SYNTRIFID ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 4:57 PM

Just chiming in here - 
You can create the model in just about any 3d modeling program - to get them to work in Poser the main thing to keep in mind is grouping the various body parts of the model with the specific internal names Poser uses to assign each part to its respective bone. (hip, abdomen, chest ect.)

As for morphs, (facial expressions and such) make various versions of (the head, for example) in those various positions. Save them as seperate .obj files, then import them into poser as morph targets. You can, of course, make some facial or body deformations directly in Poser using magnets and such.

You should also learn what UV mapping is all about so you can apply textures to your models effectively.

As it has been mentioned, all the specifics of the entire process can be way more involved than can be spelled out note for note in an online thread. But just to outline...

1 - Get yourself a modeling prog, (I use Lightwave but any of those mentioned will work)
2 - If your modeler doesn't do UV mapping, get UV mapper or something that does.
3 - Get familiar with Poser's Setup Room and .obj files as well as Poser's various native filetypes. (cr2 and such)
4 - Would be a good idea to learn a bit about editing .cr2's and such in a text editor.

It can be a long and winding road but Good luck if you decide to persue it.

Hey! His nose is dry! ... Someone should lick it,  just in case. - Diego

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.