Wed, Sep 18, 1:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Rendering eyelashes and hair with Firefly

Mogwa ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 12:01 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 9:55 PM

I sometimes encounter a frizzy or clumpy look when rendering eyelashes and dynamic hair using Firefly with raytracing on. Does anyone have suggestions on what settings are best suited to avoid this problem?
(After spending more time working with Victoria 4, I'm starting to revise my less than entusiastic original opinions of her capabilities. Once I get the rendering setting worked out, I think she'll be capable of producing some really stunning art.)

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 12:40 AM

You may want to disable texture filtering for the eyelashes transmap (I did); for dynamic hair, can you show an example of what you're talking about?

My Freebies

kalon ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 9:17 AM

I'm not at my computer and have a very wretched memory, but I think also if you lower the shade rate it will help defuzz hair and eyelashes.

kalonart.com

vincebagna ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 9:26 AM

Sometimes texture filtering can make your eyelashes worse. Try to turn it off.

My Store

Mogwa ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 2:48 PM

file_382699.jpg

Hers's an example; notice how clumpy the eyelases appear. My render settings in Firefly with raytracing on and texture filtering off: Raytrace bounces 4 Main shading rate 4 Pixel samples 4 Bucket 64 Post filter size 1

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 3:17 PM

Quote - Main shading rate 4

The shading rate is far too large to be good for very fine features like eyelashes.
Try something much smaller say 0.01 (you'll need to set this value both in the Render Settings and on the appropriate object).

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2007 at 3:47 PM

0.01 is too low for most cases - it'll just slow down rendering. In my experience 0.2 with filtering on should cover most cases.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2007 at 8:25 AM

My opinion? Get a new transmap. The eyelashes that come with V4 suck compared to the V3 eyelashes.

I don't know what happened but somebody made a booboo. They are terrible. I'm very experienced with render settings, have no problems with V3 lashes, but V4 always look bad.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Mogwa ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2007 at 3:07 PM

Quote - My opinion? Get a new transmap. The eyelashes that come with V4 suck compared to the V3 eyelashes.

I don't know what happened but somebody made a booboo. They are terrible. I'm very experienced with render settings, have no problems with V3 lashes, but V4 always look bad.

Exactly!!  After hours of frustrating tweaking with the settings, nothing seems to help V4's lashes, but V3 renders are never a problem. I've encountered a few similar "clotting" effects of fine detail with some commercial hair products, and I suspect it's due to the same cause.
Can anyone recommend a good replacement transmap before I'm forced to make my own (he puled in a disgusting whine) ?
And, as always, thanks to all for the help and suggestions!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 13 July 2007 at 3:13 PM

I dunno if the v4 lashes are mapped the same way as the v3 lashes. but in any case, it might be possible to adapt a v3 map to the v4 lashes.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.