Mon, Oct 21, 10:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Newbie Needs help with 2 things, please

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 12:52 PM · edited Sun, 20 October 2024 at 6:32 PM

file_162869.jpg

Hello all, I just got Poser 4 last night and have 2 questions. 1) Somehow, I managed to move the main character 'posing' window, to the upper left corner of the workspace. I have tried and tried to move it back to the center of the window, but had no luck. I read the manual, looked on-line and nothing. I tried to load the 'defaults' and still had no luck. :( Any one have any ideas? ( I do have the pro pack installed as well). 2) I have added an image to this post. The image I created in Vue d'esprit 3. I was wondering if it is possible to get a posed character from poser 4 into Vue, and have it retain its textures and such, so it looks correct when rendered. ( I want to add a girl weeping at the tomb and a ghost standing next to her, hand on her shoulder to comfort her). If this information is posted someplace, please excuse my ignorance. Being new to all of this, I am a bit excited and having trouble waiting. ( Like a kid on christmas morning ). :) Thanks in advance, Eryk

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 12:59 PM

Oh yea..oops. I forgot to add. I added the image to this post to show you the sort of render I used ( lighting and such). I was wondering if anyone knows if the poser characters, when pulled into Vue, will render correctly, and look as if they beglong in the scene or not. ( please excuse the resolution of the image, I had done a quick re-size and converted to .jpg so it would not be huge...so it lost a bit of its quality.) Thanks again everyone.

picnic ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 2:08 PM

I'm assuming this works for Mac as well as for PC. Grab the title of the window with your left mouse button (PC) depressed and drag it to where you want it. YOu can move all the various things on your interface this way. Also--I do not have Vue, but know that others import Poser figures all the time. I would go to the Vue d'Esprit forum (see over on the left --------------------> ) and ask there. I work with Bryce and assume that Vue imports similarly. Diane

TygerCub ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 3:50 PM

LOL! Wonderful picture! Being an EQ addict until I found Poser, I can sympathise with the character. TygerCub grumbles to herself about having to invest in something like Vue d'Esprit...)

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 3:57 PM

Diane, Thanks, you are a life saver. :) While I could not get to the title of the main pose window, I could get at the other controls that were being hidden by it, and I moved them out of the way. So, I guess I live with the pose window to the left now. :) At least I can now get to all my tools again. Thanks a bunch.. Eryk

picnic ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 4:18 PM

Have to think about this--am trying to think how you reset all default. If I can't remember, then ask in another thread. That will be the easiest--oh, bonking myself upside the head LOL--go to edit/general preferences. This will bring up the dialog box where you can check 'launch factory state' and 'use factory state'. Close, then open again and window should be in original place. Then--when you have things set up as you like, you can use same dialog and go 'launch to preferred state' and 'use previous state' and it will go back to the way you have it set when closed. Hope this helps S. Diane

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 4:28 PM

TygerCub, LOL. Thanks. Kito is my room mate. I played EQ from Beta 3 until about a year ago. I finally broke free. :) Take care.

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 4:31 PM

Diane, Thanks again..but alas, I am doomed to work on the left side of my screen. :( For some reason the factory default does not work. (Leave it to me to find a new bug or something). But, thanks to your earlier help, I can at least use the program and all the functions now. :) Now if only my darn t-shirt texture would work properly, instead of mapping around the entire Men's P4 t-shirt, I would really be kicking butt. ( That was a hint for even more help. I'm so pathetic.) :)

picnic ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 4:55 PM

Are you using the template for the P4Tshirt? Use that as your beginning--make it the background or 1st layer in a 2D app, then paint or whatever your texture to match EXACTLY. Make the template either invisible or save the completed tex with new name. Select that name from material dialog. Can't imagine why you can't go back to factory default. I pushed my window to the left upper until I couldn't see the title--I VERY carefully held down my left mouse button clear up at the very top (be sure you have arrow and not some other symbol) and pulled. I was able to move it. BTW, you could just uninstall and reinstall. That might be the easiest. Backup your new folders (anything you might have just installed) and just install new. Normally, all your 'extra' files/folders will be left intact and still be there after reinstall, but we always say to play carefully. Diane

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 5:07 PM

When I move my mouse to the top, until I only have the normal arrow cursor, I am now on the menu bar, so I get the drop downs ( file, ect..). If my arrow is in the pose window, it moves the figure or camera. sigh A re-install may be what I need to do. As for the t-shirt creation, very cool. thank you. That is the part I was missing from the tutorial I found. You have been very kind and most generous in your help. If you are anything like the majority of the Poser community, then I have to say I joined the right forums. SO the t-shirt template ( the all black t-shirt image) is all I need, huh? That makes life great. I'll post and let you know how it works out. If it looks good, am I allowed to post it for free, for others to download, or do I have to be a member or something, to do that? Your new student wink wink, Eryk

shadowcat ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 5:31 PM

well you could also try resizing the main window (by making the window smaller you may be able to get at the title) from the menu "Window" -> "Document window size" hope this helps as I don't have pro pack.

Calseeor ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 6:42 PM

Thanks for the help Shadowcat, but nada. This is really odd. I have a tech support case in on it. When I get a fix, I'll let you all know, in case it ever happens to you. Thanks everyone...

picnic ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 7:39 PM

file_162870.jpg

Well, glad I read your post shadowcat. I missed that he/she has Pro Pack. I don't have it either, so that may be the missing link LOL. Here's a quick texture demo. Notice that I made the template (these will be on your Poser CD or you can run the .obj through UV Mapper utility to get template or change the mapping)the background. I added a layer to paint on. In actuality, I use oodles of layers when I'm making a texture. BE SURE you save with a new name after you merge all layers. You can also see that I made the layer I was working on fairly transparent so I could see what I was doing--I just go back and forth with transparences. You'll get the knack after you try a few. Well, yes you have to be a 'member' to post in freestuff--you already are if you have a name here and can post. So--that's it. YOu have to have a web page to link to though. HOpe this helps. I'll be out of town until next Wed. Have to go pack now. Others will help you if you get stuck. I don't have pro pack, so you'll need others help for that. Just post and ask--everybody is helpful. Diane

shadowcat ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 8:03 PM

ok, last idea on how to fix your window, there is a file called preferredState.pz3 in runtime/prefs rename some other .pz3 file preferredState.pz3 and put that file in the place of the original (doesn't matter what it is, you can always change it back later) crossing fingers for you.

Calseeor ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2001 at 4:42 AM

Diane, Thanks for that great screenshot and explination about adding images to t-shirts. That makes complete sense and I am happy to say, I have my first t-shirt done and useable. ( Needs a bit of tweaking still). Shadowcat, I'll try that fix when I get home from work tonight. I really appreciate it. With any luck, you will see a Woo Hoo! posted here this evening. :) Thanks you two, Eryk

PilotHigh ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2001 at 1:41 PM

To fix the window, go into the Prefs and set to default state and restart Poser.

Calseeor ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2001 at 2:47 PM

Thanks Pilothigh, but I have already tried that and it does not work. :( I can't believe this has not happened to anyone else. I'm a software engineer, so I am used to odd software issues, but never had one only happen to me. :)

darchangel ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2001 at 9:41 AM

The same thing happened to me, I just completely uninstalled pozer and reinstalled it. The interface is a nightmare, and I cant believe that after ALL of this noone has patched it. Another thing you could try is to set your monitor resolution very high. Since the pose window is not resolution dependant but has a set resolution (like 600x550) it will stay small while your entire workspace expands. Set your desktop to like 1200x1024 and you should be able to see the edges of the window. If not then just completely uninstall and reinstall and itll fix it. Poser only takes like 5 min to install and patch.

shadowcat ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2001 at 2:55 PM

file_162872.jpg

make sure you back-up runtime/geometries, textures & libraries. had another idea on how to fix window without a re-install, get someone to send a ui-dot file (with at least one ui-dot set. In case you don't know about ui-dots (I didn't at first) they are programable buttons that you can configure for your workspace setting, go to ui-dots click a button, mess aound with the workspace, if you want the original back, click that same ui-button, your workspace is back like magic. (again, don't know if this will work with propack)

Calseeor ( ) posted Sun, 15 April 2001 at 9:39 AM

Hey everyone, Happy Easter ( to those of you that celebrate it ) and Merry Sunday to those of you that don't. :) This morning, when I opened Poser to try out what Darchangel and shadowcat suggested and it was back to normal. I had, however, changed my resolution and installed a clean version of my video driver ( due to a problem with a game I am playing ). If that had anything to do with it, I can not say. I have seen weirder things. So, if any of you have this issue, and own a voodoo 5, try installing the voodoo's original drivers off its cd. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. You all rock. :)

shadowcat ( ) posted Sun, 15 April 2001 at 10:32 AM

Cool beans & happy Easter back at ya!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.