Tue, Oct 22, 12:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: IK on hands, problems once you have attached the hands to something

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 12:38 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:53 AM

If i attach the hands of a fresh newly loaded figure to another figures body or to an object. Perfect it works. But once you do that, and then you decide to attach the hands somewhere else( say at first it was holding wrist, then you decide to hold shoulder instead) it doesn't work. As you know, You need to turn off IK( if IK is on cna't translate hands) to position your figures hands on the new place and attache to a new body part or object. I do that, and i place the hands in the exact place where i want them, making contact with whatever i was the figure to touch/hold . But then as soon as i enable IK for hands, the hands twist or go up in the air ..totally unexpected. And then so i want to change the parent too but since the hands go wacko as soon as i turn on IK for hands, then i have no chance to have the hands in place before i set the new parent fr them. any fix? like...is there a way to reset the parent to whatever it is at default. so that if i decide to change the hands' parent, it doesn't go wacko. this is Poser 6 i use

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 12:40 AM

sorry correction for last part is this: "like...is there a way to reset the parent to whatever it is at default. so that if i decide to change the hands' parent, it doesn't go wacko when i turn on IK again?."

jonthecelt ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 7:43 AM

Yes... go to object -> change parent and click on universe. That will reset the part, so you should be able to work with it as normal.

JonTheCelt

Don ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 12:49 PM

See my tutorial on IK and hands at DAZ Arcana.

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 8:20 PM

Jonthecelt, is there a bug in POser 6 or something. I keep doing what you said.. and when i activate IK.. then the hand goes up in the air. i'm changing the parent to be the object i want but the characters hand goes up in the air. It's strange, I have poser v6.0.2 .118 for macos x

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 8:37 PM

wow another problem. I tried making the character's hand's parent a simple Box. and as soon as I activate IK, the hand became big and distorted.

Don ( ) posted Fri, 12 October 2007 at 12:16 AM

Which figure models are you using? You cannot attach anything to a hand while IK is on. Turn IK off attach a prop, then you can turn IK on if you want. Also, turn off Limits when working with the hands. I am on the same platform and version as you are.

jonthecelt ( ) posted Fri, 12 October 2007 at 3:45 AM

Don, Tebop isn't attaching anything TO a hand - he's attaching the hand TO another object so that it follows it. To do that, IK is necessary.

tebop, the reason for the hand distorting when yo uparent it to the box is probably because you changed the scale parameters of the box prop, am I right? When parenting an object, the child takes on the scale changes of its parent.

As to whether Poser 6 contains some kind of bug to stop you from doing this, I couldn't say. I'll look into it at some point and let you know.

JonTheCelt

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 12 October 2007 at 8:43 AM

Jon, yeah: ) It's right. i scaled the box. Then i tried it using a sphere. and i didn't scale the sphere. and it worked: ) and the hand did not distort. However, what puzzles me is when i IK hands of a character to body of another character , then if i change my mind and want to start over( setting parent to another body part) then it just goes wacko. Good news though guys, i figured that the best way is to start over a new file and get it right the first time so that i don't have to do IK with a different parent. if i get it right the first time, then all is good. This is annoying though

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.