Tue, Sep 24, 6:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: man, Rendo' chat has certainly died a death hasn't it?

SeanE ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 8:27 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:13 AM

it used to be humming along despite all its faults, dozens of people there at a time and keeping track of at least 8 separate conversations at a time became a learned artform in itself.

and now... not even the sound of crickets chirping to be heard....

Sean

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 9:59 AM

Yeppers! So it seems.

Earlier this year when they resurrected it again it was quite busy at times. Then it slowly dwindled. At times I've popped in and found 2 people speaking a language that I didn't know and it was like I was invisible in there so I left.  That was months ago though.  I've been in a few times since and each time I'm the only one there.

So now I don't bother.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

dhama ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2007 at 5:21 AM

Once they are established this happens to all forums eventually (usually over a few years it steadily declines), it doesn't matter how popular they are. Folk have usually said almost everything they want. Thing is though, probably a ratio of 5:1 still visits but doesn't post anything.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2007 at 11:46 AM

Also, I find that when I'm "here" I'm doing other things like Poser, emailing, watching TV or even up and down from the computer cleaning.  In chat you have to be "here" and paying attention constantly because it's live. A forum fits my routine far better because I can post and type and read at my pace and not feel obligated to respond as soon as someone says something to me etc.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2007 at 2:29 PM

if they wanna get it jump-started, maybe they could schedule celeb chats. they could ask some well-known 3d person to be there for a given time.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2007 at 4:07 PM

We will be doing some things to jumpstart the chat like featured type chats, maybe some classes, things like that. But with all the other projects that have been going on the last 2 years, we really haven't had the time to devote to it.  We will be though

I've found that the "chat" always turns into the "Love Connection" lol or it turns into an attack conversation since its usually chatting that is personal.

I have to admit its been kind of nice for me with it being quiet (sssh don't tell I said that) cause I used to CONSTANTLY get complaints coming from chat. Like a newbie will come in and start asking for warez stuff or someone will come in and just start being a troll or someone will be threatening someone else.. Even had one person that was acting so horrible in chat that I had to boot him then the next thing I know his "wife" sitemailed me saying "You KILLED my husband, hope you are happy" He had supposedly passed away and it was all my fault for booting him from chat??? Then a few weeks later he had a miracle occur and he was alive and back in chat causing problems, go figure. So for me, the quietness has been a little good break.

We are going to focus on it a bit more in the coming year I think.

RubyT ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 3:07 PM

I have gone to the chat a few times to ask questions but no one would be there. I too would like to see it going and perhaps some of the big name artists and vendors would be willing to be there to hold dicussion on modeling, specific slights, and stuff like that. It would be cool to get some really great tips and tricks on the programs.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 3:17 PM

I agree Ruby.. I just hope if we can keep things focused on helpful things, the drama won't start up again:)

RubyT ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 3:56 PM

LOL, Yeah no cybering in the chat! LOLOLOL!!!!~

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 4:23 PM

Word up:)

zollster ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 4:33 PM

theres a chat room on the "other" site that gets used quite a bit....and just about everything ya can think of gets discussed there

RubyT ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 4:37 PM

Other side????

zollster ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 4:42 PM

renderotica...not allowed to give a direct link cos its adult only

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 4:44 PM

I can imagine there is alot of topics discussed there, lol...

RubyT ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 4:52 PM

LOL, HOT topics I bet.   (weg)   There is some outstanding art there.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 4:58 PM

Yes I'm sure there is. I don't think I've ever even visited that site but I know a lot of our members are members there as well so I know there has to be some good talent and great artwork.

zollster ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2007 at 5:10 PM

well....usually i spend my time spammin pics that are posted here :biggrin:

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 12:00 PM

Quote - Yes I'm sure there is. I don't think I've ever even visited that site but I know a lot of our members are members there as well so I know there has to be some good talent and great artwork.

Your politeness knows no bounds, StaceyG. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen anyone more diplomatic than you on any forum, anywhere.
I do mean that as a compliment, btw. :-)

But...when it comes to the imagery at that "other" site.. uhh, let's just say that most of what I've seen of it is...shall we say, disturbing and freaky. I don't mean like HR Giger disturbing and Salvador Dali freaky, either. Let's leave it at that. ;-)

Although I will repeat that it's been quite a while since I looked at anything there, so it could be the most wonderful art site in the world by now for all I know.

On the chat thing - I don't know about anyone else, but when I first got online many years ago, chatting in real time with people I didn't know was interesting for about three hours. Then it's always the same thing - people get their own cliques going, and it's a whole lot of blahblah about nothing.
DAZ' Art Zone chat was occasionally interesting, but always ended up all about Poser and a whole lot of gossip about various merchants, and sales pitches.
Organized chat sessions, where there is a defined topic at a set time is far more interesting and can even be very productive.

StaceyG ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 12:52 PM

Mike,

Thank you for the compliment.. Its hard to tell with you sometimes if you are serious or if there is  sarcasm I might be missing heehee..  :)

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 1:43 PM

You're welcome. :-)

Sarcasm,? Me? Nah, you must be thinking of someone else. ;-)

StaceyG ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 1:52 PM

Hahaha.. I don't think so.. Thats why we love you though!!! Sarcasm is good!!!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 3:36 PM

he's serious, stacey. I've also noted your diplomacy and tolerance in the face of constant attacks on this site by sociopaths and trolls. I woulda just banned 'em all, hence I admire yer forbearance.

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 5:20 PM

Quote - he's serious, stacey. I've also noted your diplomacy and tolerance in the face of constant attacks on this site by sociopaths and trolls. I woulda just banned 'em all, hence I admire yer forbearance.

QFT !!

Like the new Avatar btw :)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

MikeJ ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 6:12 PM · edited Sat, 03 November 2007 at 6:12 PM

Yeah, I like the new avatar, too, although I'd recommend a spotlight with less softness around the edges, and a mid-range shadow map, say about 2048. Lght probably around 245,245,235, RGB might be good, as well as a slight reduction in the specularity and diffuse channels. Maybe a little SSS, while you're at it.

Great hair though, and it conforms very nicely. I wouldn't change anything about that.

What's the model pointing at or reaching for?

;-)

StaceyG ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 7:30 PM

Oh here is the sarcasm I love so much:)  The model is reaching out to strangle MikeJ, hahahahaha

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2007 at 1:52 PM

Quote - Oh here is the sarcasm I love so much:)  The model is reaching out to strangle MikeJ, hahahahaha

Nice! Excellent comeback! Seriously. :-)

I'd love to have something to counter that with, but the choices which went through my head weren't quite right, and, you know, I'd rather flub a line than adlib something bad. ;-)

However, rest assured I shall not take this strangulation attack lying down. ;-)

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2007 at 2:11 PM

Bring it on buddy!! heehee

I'll be ready (well I HOPE I'll be ready)

Seriously that one just fell right in my hands:):)

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2007 at 2:48 PM

You know...
Uh. Well...umm.
Hmmm....

See now, you're not supposed to do that. I mean... hmmm.... thinking

I need more time. You deserve the best I can give, which I can't do right now, because I'm... uhh, well, it's like... I have some chicken on my grill. Or, I will, soon. Eventually. Gotta run!

We'll meet again, missy....
;-)

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2007 at 3:04 PM

I'll be waiting...........................

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2007 at 3:42 PM

Jeez, I'm being taunted by an administrator! That's gotta be some kind of precedent. Have I mentioned I just love the personal attention one can get here? ;-)

And, I don't even know who to report this to. You? ;-)

Is anyone seeing this?
As Dennis would say,  "Come and see the violence inherent in The System...see the violence inherent in The System!" ;-)

Well, I guess it could be worse. Who am I, to pick my taunters? At least you're pretty. :-)

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2007 at 4:21 PM

:tt2:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.