Sun, Oct 6, 10:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Pan Tool in C6 Backwards

sfdex ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 8:49 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 7:14 AM

Hi, all --

I've been using C6P for a couple weeks now and am really frustrated by the fact that they've reversed the pan tool -- what used to make the camera pan left now makes it pan right.  Down is up, etc.  It's really awkward.

I've looked through the forums and can't find an answer, so I'm asking.  Is there a way to return the Pan tool to its previous orientation?

Or, am I stuck with the change?  I'm reminded of Dr. McCoy's line in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  "I know engineers.  They LOVE to change things!"

- Dex

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 10:42 PM

It is reversed, don't know why. But, I think most people use  "ALT. RMB " to pan anyway. ALT LMB for rotate and scroll wheel for zoom. I think once you get used to that, you won't want to reach for the pan icon anymore.

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 10:43 PM

file_399010.jpg

They all work exactly as normal, and correctly, for me?

bwtr

sfdex ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2008 at 11:05 PM

BWTR --

Those are the tracking controls -- they move the camera through 3d space.  The pan control is obtained by clicking on the dolly control (the round ball with the four arrows), which then changes to be a pan control and clicking it again makes it a "bank" control.  The difference between panning and tracking is that a pan is a camera move that keeps the camera located in one place but turns it so it shows a different view, whereas a tracking shot moves the camera through space to get a different perspective.

Each technique has a place in motion picture production, but they're not interchangeable. 

Patrick --

Thanks for the keyboard right-mouse-button tip; I hadn't seen that before. 

:D

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 1:16 AM

I have both copies 5 and 6 on my desktop.
I have rechecked, the "Pan" tool works exactly the same in both?--Yes, the pan part of the bottom icon.!!!???
Carrara6.03Pro.

bwtr

sfdex ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 2:14 AM · edited Sat, 02 February 2008 at 2:14 AM

file_399024.jpg

There are two different tools here.  The "Dolly" tool -- pictured on the left -- behaves exactly the same in Carrara 6 as it did in Carrara 5 and all versions of Carrara before it.

The "Pan" tool -- pictured on the right -- behaves exactly backwards of how it did in earlier versions.  If you select the PAN tool and move your mouse to the right, the image pans to the left -- precisely the opposite of how it did before.

The right-button solution that our Teutonic friend above suggested, though, works as I expect the pan tool to work, as the pan tool has worked for years in Carrara.

And, yes, I'm using C6.03Pro.

• Dex

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 2:41 AM

file_399026.jpg

I guess, when you use Hexagon, and a lot of other apps, slight differences are not noted.

BUT there is one app, MoI, which obviously listens to its customers!

bwtr

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.